If the Leafs get swept, what should Shanahan do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 290103

Time to start considering the fallout that could occur here if the Leafs are swept. What moves will this compel Shanahan to make? Would they move a player like Marner or Nylander for a defenseman? Will this cause them to re-think their plan? What sort of damage could this do to the psyche's of a player like Matthews?

So far it's been a complete and utter debacle. It can get worse though.

Reactions: ccman68 and ThomasG

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
They need to stay the course. The weakness is still at the top end of defense.

There's really no need to panic even if they get swept.

Leaf fans simply underestimated Boston, and there's no shame in losing to them if that's the way it goes down.

member 290103

This isn't a reactionary thread at all

It's been an absolutely devastating start to this series. It's been shocking how dominated the Leafs have been. I am just wondering if they need to look at a more drastic change than just adding another mid level player.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
The Leafs problem right now is they tied for the 6th most points in the league but have to play the team with the 4th most points in the league in the 1st round without home ice advantage. They've sucked so far but not as much as the playoff format does.

Under the old conference playoff format the Leafs would be playing the Pens right now, not that much of an improvement.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
It's been an absolutely devastating start to this series. It's been shocking how dominated the Leafs have been. I am just wondering if they need to look at a more drastic change than just adding another mid level player.

If you mean trading Marner or Nylander no, no they do not

Reactions: Mork

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
This Leafs team is not going to win 4 of 5 against the Bruins. They have been absolutely obliterated this far.

I think that the point was that that series in '93 had the Leafs being outscored 19-8 in the three games that they lost (6-2, 6-3 and 7-3). I don't have much confidence in this team though.

CuriousGeorge

Jun 8, 2007
Time to start considering the fallout that could occur here if the Leafs are swept. What moves will this compel Shanahan to make? Would they move a player like Marner or Nylander for a defenseman? Will this cause them to re-think their plan? What sort of damage could this do to the psyche's of a player like Matthews?

What series have you been watching? Do you not understand that the Maple Leafs have not been eliminated yet? Why have this discussion then?

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I think it could convince Matthews to finally switch to professional lacrosse. Or maybe for him to take up finger painting.

I think Matthews can be a full-time model.

Candy-cane model.

Look at the generational balance on the rails here.

cut.jpg
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I personally have the Bruins pegged for going to the Finals.

Btw this same Bruins squad obliterated the Penguins. Crosby Malkin and Iginla held pointless in the series. These guys ain't no slouches.

Pens have been fine. Im not a fan, but I'm sure Toronto will be fine as well.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto

Newsflash: The Leafs rebuild is ahead of schedule...it would do nothing.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015

I doubt he changes anything. The lack of movement at the trade deadline or even at the start of the season tells me the Leafs management never thought the team was ready to make that next step. I think they just keep doing the slow build, drafting and developing.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Only in Toronto would this be considered. This is the best young team in the NHL. Give it time. They were dead-lastlast 2 years ago.
Absolutely NOT do you pull and Edmonton and trade a blue chip winger for a top 4 D. Travis Dermott is that top 4 D. Terrific young DMan who will only get better.
I laugh how Florida can have "Great Young Talent" for years but already Toronto needs to make changes.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I personally have the Bruins pegged for going to the Finals.

Btw this same Bruins squad obliterated the Penguins. Crosby Malkin and Iginla held pointless in the series. These guys ain't no slouches.

Pens have been fine. Im not a fan, but I'm sure Toronto will be fine as well.
Why use regular season stats when Toronto dominated the Bruins the past 2 years. Leafs are 7-1 in the regular season against Boston the past 2 seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad