If the Leafs get swept, what should Shanahan do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Toronto needs to improve their D regardless of if they lose in 4 or 5/6. Obviously not a Hall for Larsson type trade but teams know TOR would be semi-desperate so probably going to be difficult for Shanahan to get fair value.
Agreed. I think the teams that didn't qualify for the playoffs might be more willing to deal,might be some good ones available . I am confident that Lou will find a way to improve the roster.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Umm the Leafs are so far away from hitting their primes. To give you some perspective: Patrice Bergeron didn't even make the playoffs as a 20, 21, or 22 year old so making the playoffs with a young core and struggling is not a bad thing at all. LA Kings got bounced in the first round and missed the playoffs before that before they became a good team. Penguins lost to the Sens. Bruins made/missed the playoffs, lost to the Hurricanes despite being heavily favored to win, choked against Philly before winning

Get swept, win or lose, you do nothing drastic. This team is far better than teams like Edmonton and Buffalo etc despite having guys like Ron Hainsey, Komarov, and Polak playing important roles.

The team will get better organically as they add more talented players and veterans to round out the depth.

Leafs should do one thing: Go hard after Carlson or Tavares. Try to get one of them...it gives you so many match up options.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Top 10 this season. I have checked the numbers. Funny how everyone changes their opinion on 2 games.
And I was stating in January I was worried about his workload, so why would I not say it now? I'd rather not have the starting goalie of my team with the most starts and most shots against.
Oh please....you make it sound like hes breaking rock for a living....Are you not aware of the resources available to pro athletes? Look,somethings wrong with Freddy, likely a confidence thing,tough to get out of that funk for sure, but if he continues to suck ,for any reason, then guess what happens? Thanks for coming out,see ya Fred!

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Trade the goalie, throw huge term at any 30yr old who scored at least 25g, and double down on grit.

It's the Bruins Embarrassed You In The Playoffs starter pack

Reactions: Mork and Pi

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
They certainly shouldn't make any panic moves.

It's Matthews' second freaking season. This group is primed for YEARS of contention. Trading a Nylander/Marner type for a defenseman will only create another void up front.

They'll figure the backend out. Shanahan should stay the course and build on the very young foundation he and Lou have assembled already.

Maybe Liljgren is the answer. Maybe Dermott is. Maybe they flip Liljgren and, like, Brown, or someone, for a solid defenseman. I don't know.

I do, however, know they shouldn't make brash moves based on a (currently hypothetical) playoff shortcoming when the average age of the core pieces on the team is like 21.

(I hate that the Leafs are so good. No offense, Toronto fans. :laugh:)

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Sometimes being embarrassed is what it takes for a young team to learn how to win. Pens got completely owned by Ottawa in 2007 and Detroit in 2008. Learned the level they need to play at - 3 cups since.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Trade the goalie, throw huge term at any 30yr old who scored at least 25g, and double down on grit.

It's the Bruins Embarrassed You In The Playoffs starter pack
Is Curtis signed on for next year? Would consider a younger potential #1 as the back up instead .Especially if Fred stays mediocre.
Grit is great if it's not a liability.Not many elite/gritty guys out there .
It would be a good bet that Leaf management is on the lookout this summer after witnessing this series.

HockeyAnalystGenius

Jun 15, 2017
LOL here come the Tanev Lovers!!! Wow. To think all you have to do is call "Leafs name" "Leafs name" in the air and they scurry out like diseased rats feasting on a fleshing corpe in the middle of the sun baked desert.

Sorry - got poetic.

Please Stop the Leafs Proposals. No Tanev is No Good. The MOST, I repeat, the MOST you get is a 2ned and Brown. Or, you cam go back to your rat stew - heh - Ratatouille. Boinas Diaz.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
what can leafs do about formatting of playoffs, they had a great year and is playing a team in 1st round that can win the cup, they top 3 with pens and tb imo

leafs already have 1 of youngest cores in nhl, not much to do but wait for everyone to develop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad