If the Leafs get swept, what should Shanahan do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Actually, unless you want to end up like the Oilers you absolutely need to trade a young scoring forward+ for a stud Dman, Mark my words, Toronto wont go anywhere without a true #1 Dman.
The Oilers did a move like that. That is why they are in this mess. Bad example. They are the only team to try it and it backfired.
Morgan Rielly is a #1 D.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
If we get swept it shouldn't change the plan whatsoever. If we go the "tougher route" I'll be very disappointed in management.

UFA:

Let Leo, Polak, Moore and Plekanec walk. Potentially re-sign Bozak and JVR if they're willing to take a large hometown discount.

Go after Tavares in FA, but don't get silly with it as we already have a more than capabale 1/2 punch in Matthews/Kadri (and Nylander if we pleased). If no Tavares, maybe go for a consolation in a short term deal with Stastny. Also interested in Nash, Green, DeHann, Vrbata, and Maroon for varying contracts and reasons.

RFA:

Re-sign Nylander, Carrick, & Johnsson and potentially sign Marner & Matthews to extensions.

Trading:

Top-4 RD (preferrably a guy that can handle top-pairing duties. etc: Demers)
3/4C

Pieces Available with Value:

Connor Brown
Connor Carrick
Josh Leivo
1st Round Picks
2nd Round Picks

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Go all in for Shea Weber and Andrew Shaw, you gotta have guys that hate to lose apparently - it's not working for us but maybe you'll have better luck

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
The funny thing is if the Leafs got swept people will say there's something really wrong with this team and those same people will say for the 15th straight year to watch out for Florida because they have great young talent. And Arizona, watch out!
The Leafs are a lock to be very good next season. The last thing they should do is panic and move the winger for a DMen people keep saying. Let's follow that Edmonton model!

Reactions: Nizdizzle

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
They ain't getting swept, though I would love that.
*Raises hand* I wouldn't. Your amazing line is somehow playing even better than usual. Probably not letting DP alone infront, behind, or anywhere near the net is the first step to not getting blown out.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
Even if they get swept it shouldn’t change the plan. They had an excellent regular season and their reward is playing a team that finished 4th overall. Boston is a tremendous team and there’s no shame in losing to them.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
They need the first goal so bad tonight. You gotta figure something will go their way, a bounce, a call, besides needing to play much better obviously.
Yes, I agree.

The Leafs are too good a team to be swept. They know that if they go down 3-0, it's pretty much over. They can't afford to lose this one. As much as it pains me to say it, if I were to bet money tonight, it would be for Toronto.

That said, I obviously hope that I am dead wrong. Anyways, I would be beyond ecstatic with a split in Toronto.

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
Go all in for Shea Weber and Andrew Shaw, you gotta have guys that hate to lose apparently - it's not working for us but maybe you'll have better luck
Shea would actually be a really good acquisition for the TML imo. I'm not sure what the price would be since Bargainbin is infatuated with the Man Mountain but I would be willing to do the deal for a 1st+.

Andrew Shaw is not available btw, so it doesn't even matter what the offer would be.

Reactions: Spearmint Rhino

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Asking second year talents to beat seasoned talented players is a tall order. Boston simply is to deep, to experienced and mature to lose to inexperienced players. The learning curve for the Leafs to get to a another level of awareness of what it takes to win a playoff series. It takes experience to grow the team to cup contender success. Can it happen, of course. Boston if healthy is a tough out. But it is still relative. No matter how good many think Bostons is, beating the Pens is a horse of a different color.

Reactions: haveandare

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Look, the Leafs have had more success, earlier in this rebuild than expected. What you do, is continue to build, and look to shore up obvious weaknesses. At this point, that is defense, particularly on the Right hand side. Additions such as Carlson UFA signing, and Tanev trade, would accomplish a great deal towards that. Edmonton is allegedly looking for help from an offensive D, and perhaps might consider a trade for their first, for Gardiner. Pick Noah Dobson RHD. Defense wins championships, and the Leafs just aren't strong enough there, at the current time. Build, build and continue to build... and this Tavares talk is nonsense.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Shanahan should do nothing. Much like the Jets of the past two or three years, Toronto needs to stay calm. Losing to a veteran team led by Marchand, Bergeron, Rask and Chara isn't some big shame. They are supposed to be behind teams like that. Same with Tampa. Those teams are coming into or are in the primes of many of their top players.

This is a time for Toronto's kids to learn, and to claw their way through each game. Our faults are pretty obvious, but I would be very upset if we made a big splash and traded youth away. This team needs a couple more years of development before we start making our runs at the cup.

If anything, I hope these playoffs help deflate some of the young gun contracts a bit. Pastrnak is on a different level than Marner and Nylander right now, and I would hope that is reflected in the deals they sign.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Leafs are going nowhere with that D they have. They just dont have the personnel back there beyond maybe Reilly and Dermott. I think offensively they have a great team but you cant get by on just offense. If you are then your goalie needs to stand on his head and Andersen is just not good enough to do that. I wouldnt fire Babcock. Its still a young team. I think the Leafs just need to stay the course they will get there. This is something Leafs fans and that city needs to learn, Rome isnt built in a couple years. You still have some building that you need to do. Its excellent that their offense found their game early but they need some other pieces on that D. I like Andersen too, just think they need to support him better. Once they do that, they will be legit contenders.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
I'd hardly be worried if I was a leaf fan, yeah they are going to lose the series, but give it some time they should figure it out...or they can also be the next Washington.

Vintage93

Apr 2, 2006
Toronto
So far this series has only reinforced the need for a top 4 defenceman. An issue we have had for the past 2 years. It's more apparent because Andersen has been a sieve. That said, it's been 2 games.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Meh you keep building,what else can you do???FA,s solves nothing ,and there is only so much cap to spend...Cheap ELC,s with a select core of elite talent is how you win

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Realistically?

Nothing he wouldn't otherwise be planning to do.

Sweep or no sweep, the reason the Leafs are even in the post-season, in back-to-back years, for the first time in forever, is because they put a plan in place and have adhered to the plan regardless of what's happened. I don't think anyone within the organization has this team pencilled in as a contender.

They'll continue down the path they've set for themselves.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
The Leafs problem right now is they tied for the 6th most points in the league but have to play the team with the 4th most points in the league in the 1st round without home ice advantage. They've sucked so far but not as much as the playoff format does.
Championship calibre teams don't worry about matchups. Whether its the first round or the 4th round youre going to have to go through some incredibly tough teams to reach the holy grail.

That being said, I doubt the Leafs get swept, and even if they do you stay the course with that core.

Reactions: haveandare

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
I'd be very surprised if the Leafs don't win tonight.

I don't think Matthews is right, he was banged up a lot this season. One of the injuries sure looked like a concussion to me though I think they said it was his shoulder.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Blow it all up so the leaf don't sniff the layoffs for another 10 years. That woikd ne my suggestion to Shanny. I may be alone on that request.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Leafs rebuild might have gotten a little ahead of itself and it's going to cost them in terms of draft picks, they are now picking quite low in draft order. Buffalo's struggling rebuild got them Mittelstadt at 8th and this year another elite player between 1-4th in the draft.

Andersen is a slightly above average goaltender, definitely not in the top 10. Their defense corps is lacking, Zaitsev's deterioration whether from injury or whatever is a big blow. I don't care how many points Jake Gardiner gets he's still Jay Gardiner. They don't have a legit 1D.

Very fast and skilled up front, lacking some of Brian Burke's 'truculence'. They should focus on the defense and finding a younger version of Komarov or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad