Rumor: If the Coyotes Relocate, Will You Remain a Fan?

If the Coyotes Relocate, Will You Remain a Fan?

• Yes

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 58 37.2%
  • Maybe/Undecided

Votes: 46 29.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
@justin323032 sounds good, that context makes sense, thx for providing. If you've been lurking for a few years I'll assume you know my personality a bit even though I haven't posted pretty much all season. I think that's what I like about these boards (F40 specifically), they're small / intimate enough that it feels like we all know each other just by all these random posts we write. Anyway I erased my edit above so now hopefully the joke lands for those who'll see it later.

@rt -- you're not wrong. That's one of the benefits of not following social media for a while, you forget how stupid the world has become -- that said I was quickly reminded during a brief back and forth with our resident Leafs troll a few pages back, ha.

Anyway if your point is, "it will cost more because of YETI company," that's undeniably right. But, I don't think that means the name is definitely out. Mostly because imo if this guy actually is a billionaire and paying 1.2 or 1.3 Billion (with a B!!) for this team, what's an extra few million here and there (don't know exactly how much extra it would be but that'd be my guess re: order of magnitude). If he likes the name Yeti, it'll be Yeti. I've seen some stuff online suggesting he prefers that name, but who really knows anyway.

All that said the Trollyote in me kind of thinks it would be funny for this whole relocation thing to fall through and for the Yotes to be in the Mullett next year (with a pending lawsuit from the NHL), that would be so Coyotes. We'll find out in a week or two

Reactions: justin323032

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Utah Venom mock ups
IMG_2535.jpeg
IMG_2536.jpeg
IMG_2534.jpeg

Utah Stags mock up

IMG_2537.jpeg
IMG_2533.jpeg
IMG_2529.jpeg

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
State mammal the Elk
State reptile the Gila Monster
State insect the honey bee
I’m only saying it will cost them a lot more money to establish their brand online. I’m not saying it’s immoral, illegal or impossible. I’m saying it’s more expensive. And there’s no good reason for it. Because there are plenty of other names.

EDIT: I’ve attempted to explain this in more detail several times but this website is essentially unusable if your character count is longer than a tweet in 2012. All of the refreshing and freezing and deleting is crazy.
brave browser .. I haven’t had any issues since I switched

Reactions: rt

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Those stags uniforms look so sick. Would be cool with “Monarchs” too (biggest trophy Elk classification).

Except they would be the Utah Stags.

Bleh
Awesome name. Salt Lake Stags would be even better.

But Utah Monarchs is cool. Maybe too obscure.

Black Diamonds is growing on me.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Those stags uniforms look so sick. Would be cool with “Monarchs” too (biggest trophy Elk classification).

Awesome name. Salt Lake Stags would be even better.

But Utah Monarchs is cool. Maybe too obscure.

Black Diamonds is growing on me.
It’s too bad the color doesn’t really come through perfect on tv, it’s a deep purple and gold…definitely looks good together. Maybe a bit too LA kings but they never really wear those anymore

Reactions: Puckrobber

rt

May 13, 2004
It’s too bad the color doesn’t really come through perfect on tv, it’s a deep purple and gold…definitely looks good together. Maybe a bit too LA kings but they never really wear those anymore
As much as I’d love something Ike that. Stags or Monarchs with colors and branding similar to that, I think @Mosby is right. I think Smith wants something more unique. Like Yeti or Venom as he’s stated. Something off the wall like Black Diamonds could happen, too, I think. I don’t think it’s gonna be a “pick a cool local animal” scenario. Which is a shame. Utah Bighorns is perfect.

But it could be something nuts like:

“Utah Black Diamonds Hockey Club”

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
As much as I’d love something Ike that. Stags or Monarchs with colors and branding similar to that, I think @Mosby is right. I think Smith wants something more unique. Like Yeti or Venom as he’s stated. Something off the wall like Black Diamonds could happen, too, I think. I don’t think it’s gonna be a “pick a cool local animal” scenario. Which is a shame. Utah Bighorns is perfect.

Utah Bighorns is one of the better ones I've heard mentioned. Not bad at all.

Reactions: lanky

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
I like it because it also means large phallus. And I’m an immature person. So that gets me right in the Beavis & Butthead. I’ll never really grow up, Kai.

View attachment 852637

Lol. I always thought growing up meant I'd think differently than I did 30 years ago. I'm wiser sure, but I'm still an immature kid in my own head at least. Seeing every other adult act like grown-ups makes me feel even less grown up haha!

Reactions: Prarievarg and rt

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I don’t like black diamonds because what does it even mean? Some kind of mining reference? You should be able to know what the team is without seeing the logo.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
Whatever we pick, I hope the jersey is bright and really pops on TV..

Those retro Flames Jerseys are simple but man they pop in the rink and on TV..

Not my forte, but I like the brightness to them.

My favourite color combos for Utah would be :
-the .black, copper, with neon turquoise..

-Maybe something like the Atlanta Thrashers powder blue as the main color.

-I don’t mind something purple like our reverse retro’s,

- I have yet to see a green jersey ,I like , but open to it if the right shade comes along… maybe that neon green, where it’s almost yellow, as a main . You could throw pretty much any color as a secondary, like blue or red

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona

Yeah, agreed.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
I like it because it also means large phallus. And I’m an immature person. So that gets me right in the Beavis & Butthead. I’ll never really grow up, Kai.

View attachment 852637
I am not into the green, but like the design…

Actually with white lettering and numbers it stands out.. maybe a small white stripe on top of the brown ? But it definitely looks better than current green jerseys in the league

rt

May 13, 2004
I don’t like black diamonds because what does it even mean? Some kind of mining reference? You should be able to know what the team is without seeing the logo.
Utah is the skiing capital of America. Ski runs are categorized by level of difficulty or required expertise to complete. A black diamond or double black diamond is the most expert classification of ski run.

I think this one is significantly less obscure than “Monarch” large game trophies. I suspect most people who like winter sports and/or were raised in the West are familiar with the term. Even northeastern folks along the Appalachian range probably know it.

Midwesterners may not know it. Southern probably don’t. And I guess Great Lakes folks such as yourself may not.

Reactions: ck26

rt

May 13, 2004
I think the main issue with Black Diamonds is that Skiing is a sport itself. And it’s not hockey. But with the Winter Olympics being tied into this and Utah having such immense ski related tourism, economy and reputation it makes some sense. They’ve got Park City, Provo and Sundance. All right around SLC. It’s a big part of what puts Utah on the map for secular gentiles.

My favorite part of it is the versatility of it. You can represent the meaning in a variety of way. Precious stones or snow or mountain ranges. Heck, maybe even a snow monster. Lol.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
I'm sure this won't be a popular take, but I really dislike the Jets old jerseys - color scheme, and logo.
Agree. NY Rangers, Kitchener Rangers, old Washington Capitals all the same ... 3 balanced colors is hard to pull off. 2 colors with just a dash of a 3rd, good, but 3 main colors is a lot to take in.
View attachment 851960
This color scheme is sweet, really like it
Kinda gives me Hurricanes vibes, but it's a lightly-used color scheme. The horizontal lines are cool. The wagon wheel is cool. The name is cool.

But given the franchise history, maybe "Vagabonds" or "Refugees" would be better.
That’s cool that Utah Venom was mentioned
Blech ... no singular nouns, particularly a "not the whole object" name. Predators is cool, Fangs is not. Panthers is cool, Claws is not. Diamondbacks is cool, Venom is not.

I like that in a vacuum, but the MLS soccer team in SLC is already called "Real Salt Lake." It's pronounced like the Spanish "royal" and was a name founded in a half-baked attempt to harken back to European names that the league was on in the mid-2000's and drove a fruitless, short-lived partnership between RSL and the biggest team in Spain, Real Madrid.

Many fans think the name is kinda dumb, and I doubt the they'd want to touch something so close and so European, even if it's actually inspired by local wildlife.

Last edited:
Reactions: Summer Rose

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
Can you imagine the first game and LOB starts a fight and wins ( obviously a fantasy hypothetical) and instead of cheering the crowd gasps in shock. :)

Mothers cover their kids eyes

Grown men spill their milk :)
Two weeks later the league under severe pressure by the church, will change the rules and ban fighting. And beards. And long hair.
Also praying has to be done before every game and during intermissions. By both teams. 😉

In all seriousness thought.
I really like the stags design. That actually looks really good. The venom one is not that great.
And the bighorn could be used for a team in AZ somewhere down the line.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad