Rumor: If the Coyotes Relocate, Will You Remain a Fan?

If the Coyotes Relocate, Will You Remain a Fan?

• Yes

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 58 37.2%
  • Maybe/Undecided

Votes: 46 29.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
No on Olympians…if they go that route I like Gladiators better with maybe some small Olympic tie in like an homage to the Olympic rings somewhere on the jersey

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
Just looked up YETI Holdings, Inc. They’re publicly traded at $38 (more than double their IPO back in 2018) and worth over 3.3 Billion. Their revenue (TTM) in 2022 was $1.6B.

Smith does not want that smoke. Sorry Utah Yeti supporters. That is not happening. That one is out. Time to land on a 2nd favorite name.

Might not be a problem.

Red Wing Shoes
Capitals Group, Capitals Inc.
Kings Inc
Stars Inc, Star Inc
Ducks Unlimited
Canuck Investments
Etc.

Reactions: Kai Yo T and Kaizen

justin323032

Oct 12, 2018
Utah Yetis would be terrible. The hell is a Yeti and how is it related to Utah?

The only name I saw that peaked my interest is the Utah Hive (after Beehive state). I think they could do some cool things with that. I'll probably still just call them the Coyotes though either way.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Might not be a problem.

Red Wing Shoes
Both are 100 years old. Nobody made those choices with the internet in mind.
Capitals Group, Capitals Inc.
Kings Inc
Stars Inc, Star Inc
Ducks Unlimited
Canuck Investments
Etc.
I don’t know what any of that is. I’ve never heard of any of that. Are those consumer brands with large online ad spends? They don’t seem like it.

The point is this:

The Yeti would compete with YETI for advertising and reach with both Google and Meta, regardless of industry. Choosing that name will necessarily cost them a ton of money. YETI will also suffer and would not like them to do that. Likely would challenge them.

Two popular and highly searched brands with the same name is bad for everyone. Except Google of course. Google would LOVE this. Tons of free money from a pointlessly bad decision.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
Both are 100 years old. Nobody made those choices with the internet in mind.

I don’t know what any of that is. I’ve never heard of any of that. Are those consumer brands with large online ad spends? They don’t seem like it.

The point is this:

The Yeti would compete with YETI for advertising and reach with both Google and Meta, regardless of industry. Choosing that name will necessarily cost them a ton of money. YETI will also suffer and would not like them to do that. Likely would challenge them.

Two popular and highly searched brands with the same name is bad for everyone. Except Google of course. Google would LOVE this. Tons of free money from a pointlessly bad decision.

Dove beauty products. Dove chocolate. Two completely different companies that don't care because they aren't competing for the same customers.

Yeti coolers will not be impacted by the Utah Yetis selling tickets and jerseys.

rt

May 13, 2004
I’m a little out of my depth this this, I need to say that.
Dove beauty products. Dove chocolate. Two completely different companies that don't care because they aren't competing for the same customers.

Yeti coolers will not be impacted by the Utah Yetis selling tickets and jerseys.
You keep citing pre internet examples. Nobody would make this choice today.

This is about advertising dollars on the internet.

Last edited:

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ

Good point. Maybe things are different now, but...

I'm not claiming to really know, but I've heard multiple times that a big factor in determining naming rights can depend heavily on confusion with brand recognition. For example, can an NHL team named Utah Yetis be mistaken for any of the products YETI sells or give the impression they're associated with the company in any way? Take business away from them?

Not really, IMO.

Plenty of other companies with the same name, like you mentioned @MIGs Dog, selling different products that are competing for internet hits. Why should YETI be granted rights other companies don't have too, just because the internet came later?

rt

May 13, 2004
Can you imagine the first game and LOB starts a fight and wins ( obviously a fantasy hypothetical) and instead of cheering the crowd gasps in shock. :)

Mothers cover their kids eyes

Grown men spill their milk :)
I’m not sure if you know many Mormons. They are not Amish. They WILL punch you in the face. Having five brothers doesn’t often result in wimpy dudes. You don’t get many helicopter parents when there’s 7 kids to hover over. You get competition for resources and a pretty scrappy situation.

That was my experience growing up in a working class neighborhood in Mesa where Mormons and Mexicans seemed to each make up about 25-33% of my neighbors.

I don’t know what it’s like in SLC but my Mormon friends growing up weren’t softer than my Mexican friends growing up. They had a lot on common.

Good point. Maybe things are different now, but...

I'm not claiming to really know, but I've heard multiple times that a big factor in determining naming rights can depend heavily on confusion with brand recognition. For example, can an NHL team named Utah Yetis be mistaken for any of the products YETI sells or give the impression they're associated with the company in any way? Take business away from them?

Not really, IMO.

Plenty of other companies with the same name, like you mentioned @MIGs Dog, selling different products that are competing for internet hits. Why should YETI be granted rights other companies don't have too, just because the internet came later?
I’m talking about something very simple. The cost of paid search and digits ad spend. Yeti would be an expensive choice.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
I’m not sure if you know many Mormons. They are not Amish. They WILL punch you in the face. Having five brothers doesn’t often result in wimpy dudes. You don’t get many helicopter parents when there’s 7 kids to hover over. You get competition for resources and a pretty scrappy situation.

That was my experience growing up in a working class neighborhood in Mesa where Mormons and Mexicans seemed to each make up about 25-33% of my neighbors.

I don’t know what it’s like in SLC but my Mormon friends growing up weren’t softer than my Mexican friends growing up. They had a lot on common.

I’m talking about something very simple. The cost of paid search and digits ad spend. Yeti would be an expensive choice.

I'm out of my element too, but does adding the "s" make a difference?

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ

Hmmm. Ok. I misunderstood what you meant. I don't know diddly-squat about digital ad spend. I'm at the age where technology passes me up more and more every year lol.

Sounds like you're saying it isn't just about if YETI likes it or if it's bad for them, but that it's also a bad financial choice for Utah?

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Imo Yeti would be fine as a name. Looking at it from a trademark standpoint there would literally be no confusion in the marketplace, it's not like anyone would ever confuse some hockey team with some large company that sells stainless steel coffee mugs. Also helps that the company spells their company in all caps ie YETI not Yeti.

If anything it might be an opportunity to do some crossover brand promotion, how many hockey fans would need high end coolers or waterproof backpacks, maybe a few. If anything I wouldn't be surprised if YETI became the official bottle sponsor of the Utah Yeti, why wouldn't you want to use that as an advertising angle, Utah's pretty outdoorsy and I would think an attractive market for YETI.

All that said in summary there's no trademark issue unless you can actually show likely confusion in the marketplace, which I think would be difficult if not impossible to show -- I just don't think a hockey team has much at all (if anything) to do with the products YETI sells. And if they both end up being Yeti (or YETI), then tons of opportunity to cross promote and make new hockey fans or new fans of high quality, overpriced outdoor cups, bags etc. To me seems like a lot more like a win/win rather than a lose / lose

Reactions: Mosby

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I think rt is just saying mostly it's bad because if you Google Yeti the hockey team would only ever be at best a top 5 result never no 1

Reactions: PainForShane

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
I think rt is just saying mostly it's bad because if you Google Yeti the hockey team would only ever be at best a top 5 result never no 1

HA that's hilarious (and quite difficult to argue against). Even after we lose our team we're still supporting hockey after all. Never quite as relevant as we hope (at least not in most places in the States)

justin323032

Oct 12, 2018
Jokes on you guys, I'm LDS (Mormon) so you all know one - vaguely. And I'll beat you up (3 older brothers)... As I already stated, they make the worst fans.

Reactions: Kai Yo T

Prestigeworldwide

Apr 21, 2017
If you really like big foot theme you could go with Wasatch Sasquatch. I kinda like the Utah ski vibe, like the SLC Gnar. Rock some flamboyant 80s colors.
My money is on something basic, like the Eagles.

Reactions: lanky

rt

May 13, 2004
I’m only saying it will cost them a lot more money to establish their brand online. I’m not saying it’s immoral, illegal or impossible. I’m saying it’s more expensive. And there’s no good reason for it. Because there are plenty of other names.

EDIT: I’ve attempted to explain this in more detail several times but this website is essentially unusable if your character count is longer than a tweet in 2012. All of the refreshing and freezing and deleting is crazy.

justin323032

Oct 12, 2018
I guess. All we have to do is make sure we spike your coffee with... coffee

EDIT: Above sentence is meant as a joke, not trying to go after you. (Not trying to get beat up!!!! haha) In all seriousness, welcome to the boards, you're getting a great young team. Any questions or anything please ask, we're generally nice over here and I'm sure multiple ppl will answer any questions you might have about the team, sport, the GM and coach we all love etc. If you ask about Meruelo you might get some passionate responses, but it looks like in a couple of days Meruelo will have nothing to do with your team (and that is inarguably a good thing for everyone)

I can take jokes, and I won't beat anyone up. But i've also been here for a while (several years at least). I've just been incognito this season knowing the inevitable was going to happen, and it has. Sad times indeed.

rt

May 13, 2004
Imo Yeti would be fine as a name. Looking at it from a trademark standpoint there would literally be no confusion in the marketplace, it's not like anyone would ever confuse some hockey team with some large company that sells stainless steel coffee mugs. Also helps that the company spells their company in all caps ie YETI not Yeti.

If anything it might be an opportunity to do some crossover brand promotion, how many hockey fans would need high end coolers or waterproof backpacks, maybe a few. If anything I wouldn't be surprised if YETI became the official bottle sponsor of the Utah Yeti, why wouldn't you want to use that as an advertising angle, Utah's pretty outdoorsy and I would think an attractive market for YETI.

All that said in summary there's no trademark issue unless you can actually show likely confusion in the marketplace, which I think would be difficult if not impossible to show -- I just don't think a hockey team has much at all (if anything) to do with the products YETI sells. And if they both end up being Yeti (or YETI), then tons of opportunity to cross promote and make new hockey fans or new fans of high quality, overpriced outdoor cups, bags etc. To me seems like a lot more like a win/win rather than a lose / lose
You’re speaking in a mixture of logic and old times folksiness. The world has become extremely stupid. So I’ll say that you’re wrong, but you’re also more intelligent and logical than the actual reality. Does that make sense? You ought to be right. But you’re not. I’d rather it was like you say.

EDIT: this made more sense on my first attempt.

I’m dropping this because it doesn’t matter. Smith will spend more if he wants to spend more. I personally don’t see the point because the name sucks anyway. It’s childish and makes no sense. It’s an Asian folklore. It makes no more sense than Utah Dragons or Utah Jade Cranes.

I’m only saying it will cost them a lot more money to establish their brand online. I’m not saying it’s immoral, illegal or impossible. I’m saying it’s more expensive. And there’s no good reason for it. Because there are plenty of other names.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad