Speculation: IF the Coyotes get the number one overall pick in 2018

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Now that is a HUGE IF, because even though the Coyotes are more than on their way to last place, we legitimately have the worst lottery luck in the NHL.

XnNNrDj.png

But for sake of speculation, say they do. The Coyotes can either choose to:

A). Take Rasmus Dhalin, trade OEL seeing as they are both top paring, offensive minded LHD's.
B). Trade number one overall pick for immediate help (most likely a top 6 RH winger or top 6 center)
C). Keep both and hope that one is willing to play the right side.

With option A or B probably being the most likely/desired options, what would your offer be for OEL, or number one overall?

EDIT: Discretion, 99% sure you don't trade Dahlin, naturally. This is just for the sake of speculation.

Last edited:

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
Here's a thought. Get dahlin. Then fire your coach. You have a good young team on paper. They should be better now. But something just isn't working.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
This thread is running on the premise of the Yotes finishing bad enough to have a high lottery pick....that would mean he's had 82 games....and they weren't good.

Still, I think given the fact they'd have sucked for like 4 years straight at that point, blaming the coach probably isn't the solution

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
If this happens, and things stay the same with prospects, and Marner rebounds and has the year we know he can have.. I'd make that deal. Dahlin is the kind of player the Leafs need on the backend. Marner has proven chemistry with guys in their organization already.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Take Dahlin under all circumstances.

Keep OEL for the time being.

It's ok to be 2 deep on the left side. I mean, Keith and Seabrook didn't always play together. Plus, it's an advantage to have a top flight on both sets of top 4 D. Easier to matchup.

I wouldn't deal dahlin because they coyotes don't have OEL locked in long term. His deal is up in 2019. Who knows what his mindset is. Does he want to win, which then you ask how close are th coyotes to winning if they continue to be bad for this season?

He turns 27 in 2018 and 28 when he becomes a UFA. Has 5-6 years left of being a top flight Dman who can carry a D core once he hits UFA. Time is ticking on his prime years.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
If this happens, and things stay the same with prospects, and Marner rebounds and has the year we know he can have.. I'd make that deal. Dahlin is the kind of player the Leafs need on the backend. Marner has proven chemistry with guys in their organization already.

lmao a franchise D for a smurf currently on the 4th line yes where does arizona sign up

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I think you take Dahlin, keep OEL for the moment.

If he does not want to re-sign, trade him for forward help

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
They are so far from a contender, they should not entertain any other options but to acquire a franchise player.

It's a shame they lost the Matthews lottery, because he's the first AZ hockey star and these Coyotes would be a very different team right now with him. Not just because of his on-ice play, but a ripple effect would have occurred.

Reactions: haveandare

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
You have to take Dahlin no questions asked. He's going to be the McDavid of Dmen and the next best player in the league.

For discussions sake, as an Avs fan I'd move Duchene(With an extension) + Barrie + Our 2019 1st(Top 3 protected) for Dahlin.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
I'm not sure if this was sarcasm, I am going to assume it is for your sake.

well obviously if the leafs were to trade mitchell marner arizona would have to send more than the rights to dahlin they'd also send their next 14 first round picks and the state would have to forego the right to be known as the holy birth place of the greatest athlete of all time

Reactions: PunkRockLocke

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Keep the rebuild going, draft Dahlin, trade OEL for the #3 overall pick and take Tkachuk, who also keeps the family linage thing going in line with the Domi pick.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
If they wanted Marner they would’ve drafted him

ROFL. You think they have not revised their view on the players from that draft and still think Strome is better? Is there some special rule that you never trade for a guy you could have drafted? Let's pick a name then....Rinne was drafted 258th over all, literally every team had the opportunity to draft him. Does this mean he has no value now because no one would want him? No, your position is just ridiculous.

As for calling Marner a 4rth liner (because you know those 2 games defined his career) How many Yotes outscored Marner last year? The correct answer is no one, he had 6 points more than your top scorer and missed 5 games. Are we to believe every Arizona forward is a 4rth liner or worse?

Now stupidity aside and back to the OP.

Probably they should draft the best player available. That appears to be Dahlin right now but it is still not too late to change. It would be unwise to expect him to step into the league and instantly be a #1 D. I cannot think of anyone in the modern age who has done that off hand.

So if Arizona is still trying to compete they keep the pick and OEL. It is a bit early to say what C or RW you could actually get straight up for him at the draft at this point but sure it would be worth exploring. It's a very slim chance we would move Marner in such a trade because of the lost development for our team as a whole. Long term it might be a great move but short term we lose our best RW for a guy who we simply do not know how quickly would become an impact player.

I'd say you keep him unless the right offer comes along but I can think of no obvious trading partners for that deal. Marner is probably about the right value but the league is not exactly flush with 20 year old Marner level right wingers and centres that are not already critical to their team. Maybe you could work a deal around Laine but I think you would have to add (yes Jets fans, you read right, I just implied Laine has more value than Marner :P) and doubt they want to do that either, they seem to like their boy.

If you truly believe Dahlin is a future franchise D the safest move is to keep him.

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Well, it's always fun assuming the last place team will do something crazy and move their number one pick, but what will happen is they'll take the BPA, and let the chips fall where they may. Not much of a debate here, though it would be fun to see Chayka go all Rick Dudley on the situation and trade himself out of a great situation.

Reactions: A91

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis

Marner has less value than Dahlin. Although he could be the piece that brings OEL to Toronto. But he won't fetch Dahlin under most circumstances

Reactions: DarbyHendrickson

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I can't see them trading the 1OV, and if they do indeed take Dhalin, they it leaves open some interesting options.

My problem is, when I look at Arizona's roster...it's not a bad roster. Maybe the fans can chime in...what do they "need"? I think they have the talent...at least on paper. What's missing?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad