Speculation: IF the Coyotes get the number one overall pick in 2018

jmichael7753

Sep 29, 2017
If OEL doesn't remove his head from his behind, then absolutely take Dalin and trade OEL for what will most likely be a massive overpayment.

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
This is the year in which I would legitimately trade the number one pick.

No denying he’s damn good. But taking D that early in the draft is highly risky and there is assloads of hype around him.

I vote trade.

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
Resign OLE try your best!!! and draft who ever you feel is the best player regardless of the way he shoots the puck . Let the kid develop if he turns into a numbr 1 , Now you have 2 and make a trade then . or maybe you will love having them both . and players like Strome / Domi step up now you got a really good core

donut

Sep 5, 2012
Draft Dahlin and keep OEL. Maybe explore trading OEL for a massive haul when Dahlin's ELC is up. I'd say ARI should make sure they're getting a legit starting goalie in any deal.

Reactions: Dan Kelly

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
Dahlin is widely considered the best defensive prospect of all time. Trading the pick for anything other than Mcdavid is a mistake.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
For those who keep saying "keep both, top two pairs":

OEL shoots left
Goligoski shoots left
Chychrun shoots left
Hjalmarsson shoots left
Dahlin now too

Left side is full, and for a limited resource team like ARZ, spending so much money / so many picks / so much currency into one position leaves you short elsewhere.

Hjalmarsson plays right side though, right? And if it's true that Dahlin doesn't mind playing right side, you could have

OEL-Hjalmarsson
Chychrun-Dahlin

and either trade Goligoski for some help at forward or keep him.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Keep them both Arizona would have a great defence corps adding Dahlin next year.

OEL - Hjarlmalson
Dahlin - Goligoski
Chychrun - Demers

That's a top five defence right there. Get some offensive wingers and they would be a

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Draft Dahlin and keep OEL. Maybe explore trading OEL for a massive haul when Dahlin's ELC is up. I'd say ARI should make sure they're getting a legit starting goalie in any deal.

Yup, in my opinion keep both and make sure they are secured long term. And along with Strome, Domi, Keller and the like, continue to build the team. My opinion.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Take Dahlin and keep OEL. Dahlin is going to be really good, but no need to rush him into a role he's not ready for. Should AZ decide to move one, I think it would be OEL, but I think they should hold off on doing that for at least a year.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Arizona would be out of their mind to not take Dahlin with the pick.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
If the team is still on a worse than expansion team pace at Christmas then you have to consider trading OEL and continuing the total rebuild.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
The absolute best thing for hockey in Arizona is to acquire Matthews

If they land the 1st pick and the top prospect has, let's say, Seguin-level potential, I think I'd consider moving Matthews for the right package if the Yotes wanted to overpay

Matthews for 1st overall, OEL & Domi

Baymen4

Oct 31, 2016

If they land the 1st pick and the top prospect has, let's say, Seguin-level potential, I think I'd consider moving Matthews for the right package if the Yotes wanted to overpay

Not a Yotes fan, but I'm gunna guess they don't want to trade both OEL and Dahlin even if it is for Matthews. 1st + Domi/Chychrun is probably as high as they would go IMO.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011

And the best thing for Toronto hockey would have been for us to get a GTA product like Lindros, Stamkos, Tavares, McDavid as well who grew up as Leaf die-hards.

But things don't always happen the way you want.....they can still be GTA guys and grow the game in other markets. Just like Matthews can be a Leaf and still help grow the game in Arizona when he goes back in the off-season..

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

That's never and I mean never going to happen. If the Leafs wouldn't have traded them the 1st pick in 2016 why would they do it now and for the same package others talked about at that time.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
And the best thing for Toronto hockey would have been for us to get a GTA product like Lindros, Stamkos, Tavares, McDavid as well who grew up as Leaf die-hards.

But things don't always happen the way you want.....they can still be GTA guys and grow the game in other markets. Just like Matthews can be a Leaf and still help grow the game in Arizona when he goes back in the off-season..
The way Toronto couldn't draft the players you mentioned is how the Coyotes fans must have felt seeing Matthews get drafted by the Leafs. For years we had to sit through seeing that and it felt great being on the other side. So I don't feel any sympathy for the Coyotes fans because of that.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
draft Dahlin
try and resign OEL, if not then trade him. with only 1-year left after this left on his deal he wont return a huge haul, but youd still get a solid return in picks and prospects. cant let him walk. but id try and keep both.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
This thread is running on the premise of the Yotes finishing bad enough to have a high lottery pick....that would mean he's had 82 games....and they weren't good.
You know who the coach was when the Leafs finished last? Blaming the coach is often times nothing but a scapegoat mentality. It's a lot easier to blame a coach than to admit the team sucks.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
draft Dahlin
try and resign OEL, if not then trade him. with only 1-year left after this left on his deal he wont return a huge haul, but youd still get a solid return in picks and prospects. cant let him walk. but id try and keep both.
OEL is a ufa July 1, 2019
If they dealt him on or after July 1,2018 when he could work out an extension with his new team,I think Arizona could get an impressive haul.

The key would be whether OEL would agree to an extension or if he would insist on testing the market.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad