Speculation: IF the Coyotes get the number one overall pick in 2018

lawrence

May 19, 2012
draft Dhalin. Have 2 super star dmans. It's doable.

New Jersey with Stevens and Neidermayer.
Chicago with Seabrook and Keith.
Anaheim with Pronger and Neidermayer
L.A with Muzzin and Doughty
New York rangers with Bryan Leetch and Zubov.
St.Louis with Bouwmeester and Peterangelo.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
I can't see them trading the 1OV, and if they do indeed take Dhalin, they it leaves open some interesting options.

My problem is, when I look at Arizona's roster...it's not a bad roster. Maybe the fans can chime in...what do they "need"? I think they have the talent...at least on paper. What's missing?

Well a goalie for one.. Raanta has played 1 game where he was outstanding , and got pulled the next game after 5 min, and has been hurt ever since.

Some hockey IQ, would be another.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Keep both, having 1 elite D and 1 potential elite #1D will have the makings of two pairings that can play upwards of ~50 minutes a night....

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
From what I have read Dahlin seems to be the real deal and compared to last year, it seems like if you get the 1st pick it's a year where you don't trade it no matter what. Now I'm not saying it's going to be like Crosby in 2005, McDavid in 2015 and Matthews in 2016, but I think if the Coyotes got 1st overall and traded it they might regret it later on.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Trade down to second (you have another asset), take Svechnikov (next shooting star), keep OEL, sign Tavares on 1. july.

For fans it is much much more entertaining to see great offensive forward, as to see great D. And it doesn't matter, how great he is.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
But for sake of speculation, say they do. The Coyotes can either choose to:

A). Take Rasmus Dhalin, trade OEL seeing as they are both top paring, offensive minded LHD's.
B). Trade number one overall pick for immediate help (most likely a top 6 RH winger or top 6 center)
C). Keep both and hope that one is willing to play the right side.

With option A or B probably being the most likely/desired options, what would your offer be for OEL, or number one overall?

EDIT: Discretion, 99% sure you don't trade Dahlin, naturally. This is just for the sake of speculation.

Option D. Keep the pick. Draft Dahlin. Play him and OEL on different pairs. Is there a rule or something that a team's second D pairing needs to be a massive downgrade from the first pair?

That is the ideal situation. More than likely, with OEL only having one more year on his deal my guess is he isn't with the Coyotes for all that much longer. Especially if his team finished last place and drafted 1st overall one year before he is a UFA. I doubt he stays.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
You only trade the first pick if you are completely sure that Svechnikov is going to be substantialy better, and even then you can only trade with the team in possession of the second pick.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
For those who keep saying "keep both, top two pairs":

OEL shoots left
Goligoski shoots left
Chychrun shoots left
Hjalmarsson shoots left
Dahlin now too

Left side is full, and for a limited resource team like ARZ, spending so much money / so many picks / so much currency into one position leaves you short elsewhere.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
If wings pick around 5-10 I would trade our first + Nyquist +? for OEL

Dunno how close or far away I am in Value.

You'd keep Dahlin, get another top pick and an okay top-6 winger.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
1. Keep the pick.
2. Hire management that has a solid idea of what they want to achieve and especially HOW to get there (like Toronto did). Implement a solid plan with intermediate objects to reach throughout the journey. Don't waste year after year after year.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

OEL shoots left
Goligoski shoots left
Chychrun shoots left
Hjalmarsson shoots left
Dahlin now too

Left side is full, and for a limited resource team like ARZ, spending so much money / so many picks / so much currency into one position leaves you short elsewhere.

That's like saying

Crosby shoots left
Kessel shoots left
Rust shoots left
Sheary shoots left

So let's trade Crosby.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Go for Dahlin. Keep OEL around to mentor him but look at trading him if OEL wishes to be traded. Dahlin should be better than OEL so Arizona wouldn't be losing there.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Depends on what happens with Chychrun. If he regresses, Coyotes should keep both OEL and Dahlin (in this crazy scenario where the Coyotes actually win the first overall pick which will never happen). If Chychrun takes a very large step forward and the Coyotes win the 1st pick, they should look at moving OEL. What pieces they go looking for depends on the development of Keller, Dvorak, Strome, Domi, Duclair, Perlini, etc. Can't be sure at this point if our need is at C, RW or RD. Strome is lighting up the AHL for example. So who knows?

JimboA

Dec 9, 2012
Sweden

OEL shoots left
Goligoski shoots left
Chychrun shoots left
Hjalmarsson shoots left
Dahlin now too

Dahlin actually prefers to play on the right side although it doesn't matter for him. Thought this could be worth mentioning;)

Source: 5:15

Reactions: Luddowich

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
If this happens, and things stay the same with prospects, and Marner rebounds and has the year we know he can have.. I'd make that deal. Dahlin is the kind of player the Leafs need on the backend. Marner has proven chemistry with guys in their organization already.

lmao a franchise D for a smurf currently on the 4th line yes where does arizona sign up

As you've probably noticed, sadly there's not much of an onus, effort or thinking about the other team. After all, the other NHL teams serve as feeder clubs or farm teams for the Leafs. LOL. :naughty: :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad