Proposal: "IF" Tavares is available and wants to play for your team?

denis

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
What is the definition of insanity?

How does this make the team better and who will his wingers be? Same crappy team that best case scenario gets knocked out of the first 2 rounds every season.

Doesn't matter. He's the face of the franchise, and direct from Ledecky, the team will do what ever it needs to do to keep him an Islander. Unless he flat out says he will be leaving, or Ledecky was flat out lying, expect a max dollar max years contract (and keep in mind that the Islanders can offer him an extra year, so that's even more money another team would need to pony up if this is a financial thing). Perhaps JT will accept a home team discount, but otherwise, $80 million total (8 x $10m) will probably be what they put on the table July 1, and maybe a touch more, if required. There are not a ton of teams (or maybe any) that are significantly more competitive than the Islanders, and have the need and/or budget to match that, or even come close.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Canadians have 3 division titles in the last 5 years but have failed to have any playoff success (just like the Caps and many other teams!). They are a legit top 10 team in the NHL. And a bubble top 5 team in the East. It's no secrete the Islanders are trending downwards. This is why the Tavares rumors are out there and the concerns of him wanting to win or leave the NYI because of it are real. But I respect you as a fan and how you defend your team. The Islanders are not as good as you think they are.

Yeah were trending so far downwards after a breakout seaosn with lee scoring 34 goals, ho sang and beauvillier with promising rookie seasons, Barzal Toews Pulock Sorokin Soderstrom and maybe dal colle in the pipe line. We're screwed.. so well give you tavares for a 5th. Sound good :shakehead

at the end of the day the ony reason they didnt make the playoffs was snows management of the goalie situation. The defense was also never fully healthy.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
What is the definition of insanity?

How does this make the team better and who will his wingers be? Same crappy team that best case scenario gets knocked out of the first 2 rounds every season.

I don't think you quite have a grasp on the phrase "best case scenario".

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah were trending so far downwards after a breakout seaosn with lee scoring 34 goals, ho sang and beauvillier with promising rookie seasons, Barzal Toews Pulock Sorokin Soderstrom and maybe dal colle in the pipe line. We're screwed.. so well give you tavares for a 5th. Sound good :shakehead

When the Habs lose in the first round its a sign of how they're a legit top team in the NHL, when the Isles lose in the first round its a sign of how much they suck and will never do better than that.

How is this so hard to understand?

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
And in what reality is Andrew Ladd on the same level as Tavares?

Tavares is a franchise-level forward. No team is going to pay the Islanders what they want for Tavares unless he comes with a contract.

I...wait.. ok you do realize what you're arguing.. Tavares is worth less at the deadline than andrew ladd because hes a franchise player and nobody will want him without a contract? So a team going for a cup wouldn't take tavares as a rental because hes a franchise player. This may be the worst argument ive ever heard on this site I mean really man?

Just to clarify you are saying john tavares with 1 year left on his contract has less value than andrew ladd with 1 year left at the trade deadline right? If so I don't think i need to say anything else here you should just show yourself out.

Its not a situation of what they want hell eventually get traded to the highest bidder if he wants out and if you think the highest bidder will offer less than the return for andrew ****ing ladd at the deadline you are too far gone to argue with. Andrew ladd not being on the same level as john tavares supports my argument buddy, not yours

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
so not signing him is smart? alright.

You're missing my whole point. Of course you try to sign him, but before and during talks, you better have a plan to bring in talent around him. Just throwing max money at him may not be enough.

Assuming he makes it to the trade deadline and the Isles are out of it, a perfect scenario for them would be to trade him and re-sign him during UFA's. Obviously playing with fire there, but if it works, it is brilliant. Gaborik in 2014 and Shattenkirk in 2017 are the closest comparisons I could find for a high profile deadline deal and Tavares blows both of them away.

Imagine what a team like The Predators, Ducks, or Capitals would pay for one playoff run of Tavares.

Last edited:

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida
You're missing my whole point. Of course you try to sign him, but before and during talks, you better have a plan to bring in talent around him. Just throwing max money at him may not be enough.

like mentioned previously in this thread, we have a very strong prospect pool and both the players on our top line besides tavares had a breakout season. but you're right there's no talent on our team.

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
I...wait.. ok you do realize what you're arguing.. Tavares is worth less at the deadline than andrew ladd because hes a franchise player and nobody will want him without a contract? So a team going for a cup wouldn't take tavares as a rental because hes a franchise player. This may be the worst argument ive ever heard on this site I mean really man?

Just to clarify you are saying john tavares with 1 year left on his contract has less value than andrew ladd with 1 year left at the trade deadline right? If so I don't think i need to say anything else here you should just show yourself out.

Its not a situation of what they want hell eventually get traded to the highest bidder if he wants out and if you think the highest bidder will offer less than the return for andrew ****ing ladd at the deadline you are too far gone to argue with. Andrew ladd not being on the same level as john tavares supports my argument buddy, not yours

Holy Christ how many times do I need to spell this out for you..:amazed:

The Islanders are going to want a FORTUNE for Tavares, as he's a franchise level forward they've built around. No team is going to PAY said FORTUNE for him if he doesn't come with a contract extension, because logically no team is going to send a FORTUNE for him as a rental.

He's not LESS VALUABLE than any other pending UFA rental, but he's almost certainly NOT WORTH IT and a trade is NOT LIKELY unless the Islanders LOWER THEIR ASKING PRICE as the trade deadline approaches.

This is all imo of course. Stop creating strawmen and try and actually grasp what I'm saying here.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Because no team in their right mind is going to give the Islanders anything for Tavares without an extension.

Not creating any strawmen to quote you again here. Again if Andrew ladd could get dano a first and a third, I'd bet even without an extension tavares gets a pretttty big return. Again, the islanders wont just keep him and let him walk if he doesn't extend, he'll go to the highest bidder. And if you think it won't be MUCH higher than the return andrew ladd got as tavares is on another level, like you said, you're just wrong. If you don't want people to call you out, actually explain yourself when posting rather than just blandly saying tavares wont return anything.

What I'm saying is even without a contract, the worst the islanders will do is wayyy better than dano a 1st and a 3rd, they obviously wont get what they ask for because thats how negotiating works

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Holy Christ how many times do I need to spell this out for you..:amazed:

The Islanders are going to want a FORTUNE for Tavares, as he's a franchise level forward they've built around. No team is going to PAY said FORTUNE for him if he doesn't come with a contract extension, because logically no team is going to send a FORTUNE for him as a rental.

He's not LESS VALUABLE than any other pending UFA rental, but he's almost certainly NOT WORTH IT and a trade is NOT LIKELY unless the Islanders LOWER THEIR ASKING PRICE as the trade deadline approaches.

This is all imo of course. Stop creating strawmen and try and actually grasp what I'm saying here.

If he refuses to resign with the Isles, his value is highest now. Teams will have the rest of the offseason plus next season to convince him to stay with his new team. That value decreases as the season wears on, however it also gives the Islanders more chances to convince him to stick.

Take Shattenkirk, if he had been traded last offseason the Blues would have gotten a significantly better return. But they waited til the deadline, when Shattenkirk had a destination in mind (like Vanek years ago with the Isles wanting to go to Minnesota) and got garbage value.

But you're asking the Islanders to lower their asking price - or LOWER THEIR ASKING PRICE - but have no idea what that asking price is. The areas of need are C and RW, so you can maybe see what other teams can offer - but any team acquiring Tavares via trade is doing so with the intention of convincing him to sign an extention. So it's not quite as simple as the NO TEAM IS GOING TO TRADE FOR HIM AT ALL ITS NOT WORTH IT argument you seem to be making.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad