Proposal: "IF" Tavares is available and wants to play for your team?

Clamshells

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 11, 2009
But then who will tell us how no team in the right mind will give anything for Tavares without an extension?

I have Turris as more of a solid #2C than a reliable one. More in Galchenyuk's tier than Sutter's, for sure, but last year he was outscored by Josh Bailey.

From the Sens, I'd want something based around Stone as the centerpiece rather than Turris.

Last year he had something like 22 points in 26 games before a weird injury that he played through even though he shouldn't have, getting only 8 points in 30 games before being shut down.

Turris' stat line is one of those ones where context means so much and the actual numbers are very misleading.

You might even remember the injury too, since it happened vs the Isles:

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Last year he had something like 22 points in 26 games before a weird injury that he played through even though he shouldn't have, getting only 8 points in 30 games before being shut down.

Turris' stat line is one of those ones where context means so much and the actual numbers are very misleading.

You might even remember the injury too, since it happened vs the Isles:

Still think he's pretty much settled in as a 55-65 point center, who was trending towards a bust on the Coyotes before the trade to Ottawa jump-started his career.

He's also hitting UFA the exact same time as Tavares, might as well keep JT and nag him to resign rather than downgrading to Turris and nagging him to resign if those are our choices. At least Galchenyuk is a RFA and under team control for the next few years.

beetee15

Long Island Bullies
May 26, 2010
Long Island
you do realize that we will throw 15 million at him if we have to right?

do you have an arena in the works? i haven't heard anything and i'm from long island, i think he walks without a legit business plan laid in front of him. it's embarrassing what he's had to endure, i hope for the sake of the game he can go to a real organization

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
do you have an arena in the works? i haven't heard anything and i'm from long island, i think he walks without a legit business plan laid in front of him. it's embarrassing what he's had to endure, i hope for the sake of the game he can go to a real organization

What exactly has he "had to endure"?

Opposing fans like to make these vague "i hope he can go to a real organization" claims about how horrible the Islanders are, but can never back it up with specifics.

Four out of the last five seasons, the Isles have finished with a better record than your Flyers, so it really makes me wonder exactly what is so "embarrassing" about playing for the Islanders.

beetee15

Long Island Bullies
May 26, 2010
Long Island
What exactly has he "had to endure"?

Opposing fans like to make these vague "i hope he can go to a real organization" claims about how horrible the Islanders are, but can never back it up with specifics.

Four out of the last five seasons, the Isles have finished with a better record than your Flyers, so it really makes me wonder exactly what is so "embarrassing" about playing for the Islanders.

- an arena
- playing in front of a full house
- secure future
- not having to practice in east meadow and go to brooklyn
- a competent gm
- not playing on the worst ice in the league in an arena made for basketball
- an arena
- an arena
- wang
- a place to play
- a town that voted and said eh thanks but no thanks
-failed lighthouse

flyers are in a slight rebuild we'll be back soon ;), fans still show up and ownership has always been stellar. for years there would be more flyer fans at the coliseum than islander fans. id say that's embarrassing.

Last edited:

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
- an arena
- secure future
- a competent gm
- an arena
- an arena
- wang
- a place to play
-failed lighthouse

flyers are in a slight rebuild we'll be back soon ;), fans still show up and ownership has always been stellar. for years there would be more flyer fans at the coliseum than islander fans. id say that's embarrassing.

So the Flyers are a drastically inferior hockey organization but the arena they share with an NBA team is better than the arena we share with an NBA team? That's the argument that compels you to look down snidely on a better hockey team?

beetee15

Long Island Bullies
May 26, 2010
Long Island
So the Flyers are a drastically inferior hockey organization but the arena they share with an NBA team is better than the arena we share with an NBA team? That's the argument that compels you to look down snidely on a better hockey team?

i guess you missed the other bullet points, the wells fargo or corestate center when it was built was made for hockey and basketball not just basketball. it was also largely privately financed because you know having a good owner and strong fan base isn't embarrassing. let me ask you... are their viewing problems there? no. is there an suv in the corner? no. the barclays was made for the nets and its embarrassing to play hockey games in there, especially wth the way the ice is. drastically inferior? okayyy a few points is drastically inferior? for a team who hasn't reached a conference final in over 25 years you sure have a lot of entitlement in this argument

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida
i guess you missed the other bullet points, the wells fargo or corestate center when it was built was made for hockey and basketball not just basketball. it was also largely privately financed because you know having a good owner and strong fan base isn't embarrassing. let me ask you... are their viewing problems there? no. is there an suv in the corner? no. the barclays was made for the nets and its embarrassing to play hockey games in there, especially wth the way the ice is. drastically inferior? okayyy a few points is drastically inferior? for a team who hasn't reached a conference final in over 25 years you sure have a lot of entitlement in this argument

thanks for the insight, i'll let everybody know that tavares hates our ****** team next time i'm asked.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009

Wow.

Post lockout for starters? Isles 8 dnq including 5 straight vs Philly 4 never twice in straight years. Isles won 1 po round to Philly 7 including a final.

Want to go back a little more to the Isles 7 dnq between 94 and 01? Philly never failed to qualify with 8 rounds and another final.

Got to back to 79-83 to give you an edge!

beetee15

Long Island Bullies
May 26, 2010
Long Island
Wow.

Post lockout for starters? Isles 8 dnq including 5 straight vs Philly 4 never twice in straight years. Isles won 1 po round to Philly 7 including a final.

Want to go back a little more to the Isles 7 dnq between 94 and 01? Philly never failed to qualify with 8 rounds and another final.

this guy gets it

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Wow.

I'm talking last five years. Recent history. Not 1994.

If you guys were like the Devils, or the Blue Jackets, or the Hurricanes and didn't feel the need to go around taking needless shots at the Islanders, I wouldn't talk smack. But your fanbase has this ungodly obsession with how much better you are than the Islanders because of how good you expect Provorov and Sanheim to be. Now that you've got Nolan or Nico it'll only get worse, but I'm actually glad Jersey gets first dibs because I like their fans better.

You want to call us embarrassing and say Tavares should go to a real organization, I feel compelled to compare who has the better team over the past five years. I don't go back to 1994, Rangers won the Cup then it's a year I try to suppress, I stay within the past five years when the Isles have finished with a better record than the Flyers 80% of the time, and wonder why Flyers fans are taking shots.

islesfan66

Nov 6, 2013
- an arena
- secure future
- a competent gm
- an arena
- an arena
- wang
- a place to play
-failed lighthouse

do you realize east meadow and brooklyn aren't that far apart?

beetee15

Long Island Bullies
May 26, 2010
Long Island
I'm talking last five years. Recent history. Not 1994.

If you guys were like the Devils, or the Blue Jackets, or the Hurricanes and didn't feel the need to go around taking needless shots at the Islanders, I wouldn't talk smack. But your fanbase has this ungodly obsession with how much better you are than the Islanders because of how good you expect Provorov and Sanheim to be. Now that you've got Nolan or Nico it'll only get worse, but I'm actually glad Jersey gets first dibs because I like their fans better.

You want to call us embarrassing and say Tavares should go to a real organization, I feel compelled to compare who has the better team over the past five years. I don't go back to 1994, Rangers won the Cup then it's a year I try to suppress, I stay within the past five years when the Isles have finished with a better record than the Flyers 80% of the time, and wonder why Flyers fans are taking shots.

lol dude...
2010 flyers playoffs "finals" isles miss

2011 flyers playoffs isles miss

2012 flyers playoffs, isles miss

2013 isles playoffs, flyers miss

2014 flyers playoffs, isles miss

2015 isles playoffs, flyers miss

2016 both make

2017 both miss

haha how are they head and shoulders above the flyers?!

and provorov gonnnnnbegood ;)

you don't have a rink in the future it's not that far fetched to think a priemeir talent would have a problem with that scenario

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006

Isles practice facility and Barclays are almost to the same exact miles as the Rangers and MSG. But you know commute... blah blah blah is super bad.. Isles experience a Steve Martin, John Candy style "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" on every game day.

beetee15

Long Island Bullies
May 26, 2010
Long Island

you're kidding right? i'm born and raised in hicksville, the belt? the bqe? getting to brooklyn is a serious pain.. and before that to even have a professional sports team practice at iceworks is embarrassing in itself

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
assuming we were extremely confident he would sign an extension with us

Wennberg + Dubois + 2017 1st

NYI get a young lower end 1C/upper end 2C, a prospect with 1C potential, and an additional draft pick.

nyscene

Jul 26, 2006
PANIC!
you're kidding right? i'm born and raised in hicksville, the belt? the bqe? getting to brooklyn is a serious pain.. and before that to even have a professional sports team practice at iceworks is embarrassing in itself

They've been out of ice works for 2 years now. They practice at Northwell Ice Center, which has gotten excellent reviews.
The arena situation has been covered pretty extensively by Newsday-basically an RFP should be out within the next 1-2 weeks with the intention being to build a new arena at Belmont Park.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad