If Senators miss the playoffs, Dorion should be fired.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
With hindsight, the Phaneuf trade has been fantastic.

Fantastic?

Meh, i'll defer to you, I'm not nor have I ever been a Phaneuf fan, so perhaps I'm biased.

The Zibanejad trade, a little less so, but Brassard has definitely brought more to the Sens than Zibanejad before the trade.

The Zibanejad for Brassard trade is a lot like Turris for Duchene, a stylistic upgrade but still a lateral move that the Sens are paying incentives (1st + 2nd + 3rd + prospect if you combine both deals).

One last thing I will say - Uptown Saturday Night? F*** yeah.

Underrated album...

Also love the play on words for your username.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Ironically, the pick the Avs used on Duchene was almost given away to Columbus in exchange for Adam Foote. The year before they conditionally moved their 1st and just barely met the conditions for Columbus to acquire it.

I wonder if history will repeat itself and the Avs will get a middle 1st before the Sens tank or vice versa. Either way it's a good pick for the Avs.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
Sens were never a contender anways. Last year everything went right. They had the worst goal differential of any playoff team in the regular season and I'm the playoffs. Plus the worst shot differential. They rode great goaltending and timely goals.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
That trade was more financially motivated than the Duchene trade, as there were picks involved as well. If you look on the Sens board you'd find an awful lot of comments about that deal.
...but aren't they signed to virtually identical contracts? Where the financial gain if their paid the same thing?

Heck, same with Duchene and turris. Ottawa can't expect Duchene to sign for less than 6 million... Why not just keep turris? There's no financial gain with this trade for sure..

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
Andrew Hammond, it's time for you once again to don your black and white caped costume and come to Ottawa's rescue,...oh wait, I forgot Dorion traded him in the Duchene deal.
:naughty:

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Sens were never a contender anways. Last year everything went right. They had the worst goal differential of any playoff team in the regular season and I'm the playoffs. Plus the worst shot differential. They rode great goaltending and timely goals.

I said in the offseason they would see a drop off. They had a golden opportunity to beat the Pens and couldn't close the deal.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
With hindsight, the Phaneuf trade has been fantastic.

The Zibanejad trade, a little less so, but Brassard has definitely brought more to the Sens than Zibanejad before the trade.

One last thing I will say - Uptown Saturday Night? F*** yeah.

so fantastic they asked him to waive his NMC.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Because it was unlikely that Vegas would have picked him due to the contract. They would have been fine keeping their top 4 from last season, with Methot.
all fine and dandy. but the poster said in retrospect it worked out great in hindsight. absolutely untrue. in hindsight it cost you methot.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
There was one pick in that deal and it came from the Sens (2018 2nd) thanks Sens

Ottawa got the Rangers 7th in that deal. But the 2nd round pick was thrown in so that NYR would agree to pay Brassard his $2M signing bonus.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
...but aren't they signed to virtually identical contracts? Where the financial gain if their paid the same thing?

Heck, same with Duchene and turris. Ottawa can't expect Duchene to sign for less than 6 million... Why not just keep turris? There's no financial gain with this trade for sure..

Now they are signed to similar contracts but when Zibanejad was traded he was heading into RFA status. The picks included in that deal (as I posted above) were included so that Ottawa could save money on Brassard's signing bonus. If Zibby hadn't gotten injured last year and kept on the pace he was on then perhaps he could have signed for more and this situation would look a little different.

For the Duchene trade, no one is expecting Duchene to sign for less than 6 mil and there's also no guarantee he'll resign with the Sens. I maintain that the Duchene trade was a ''show me'' trade to EK and magnified further that the Sens are serious about winning now, even though they are going through this debacle now. Management made it very clear that they see Duchene as an upgrade on Turris. Duchene's contract is up the same offseason as Karlsson and they can reassess the direction of the club at that time.
Why would they not just keep Turris? Turris was firm on a 7-8 year deal when the Sens were only prepared to offer 5. I loved Turris on the Sens but it would have been wrong to sign him to an 8 year deal. Now at least they will have all the cap room they need for the 2019 offseason (depending on what the team signs Mark Stone to) to resign Karlsson. Resigning Duchene is #3 on the pecking order and a lot of things can happen before then.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
Dorion is the biggest yes man in the league.

He's there for the long haul.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
all fine and dandy. but the poster said in retrospect it worked out great in hindsight. absolutely untrue. in hindsight it cost you methot.

And if they didn't take Methot, we'd probably lose Claesson which to me is the bigger loss going forward

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
The Phaneuf trade was good. We needed someone to eat minutes on the second pairing, and we got it. Cap hit didn't matter much because for the most part we spend below the cap anyway. Didn't give up anything substantial in the trade.

Zibanejad trade was okay. Not bad, not good. Just okay. If it was purely Brassard for Zibby, I'd argue it was an attempt to upgrade short-term and add some playoff experience. Zibanejad just wasn't reaching his potential and has obviously benefited from his change of scenery to NY. However, it wasn't a 1-for-1 swap, we gave up a second on top of the younger player with upside. That bit was 100% financial.

Duchene? I don't know if it was financial (unwillingness to commit big money to Turris this offseason) or not (Dorion has been looking at Duchene for a while and may have believed he was upgrading while solving the former problem). So far it's not looking good. Duchene hasn't played enough games yet to have me legitimately concerned, and pretty much everyone hasn't been clicking since he arrived - hard to identify a single reason for the slump. Hard to disagree that he hasn't found chemistry yet, but hopefully that develops soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad