If Senators miss the playoffs, Dorion should be fired.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
That trade was more financially motivated than the Duchene trade, as there were picks involved as well. If you look on the Sens board you'd find an awful lot of comments about that deal.
Regardless, that trade doesn't make sense to me. Zibanejad is like 6 years younger, he's better right now, he'll be better in 5 years from now when Brassard will be in his mid-30's and probably not even with the Sens anymore, while Zibanejad will still be in his 20's.

It's not as bad or as lopsided as one of those Chiarelli specials from the last couple years, but it's still not good.

Reactions: Lays

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
Seriously trading a 1st rounder in such a deep draft along with a player that already fit the team very well and a decent prospect for a player that clearly everyone knew would take a while to adjust to the team, and once he does is barely an improvement over Turris? That's a fireable offense right there. Sens corsi is finally catching up to them, and they also have god awful goaltending for some reason this season.
Senators 2018-19 centre depth without the trade: Brassard, Pageau, Thompson ... um ... um... Nick Paul?

Turris wasn't going to re-sign in Ottawa. PD's options were to trade him for futures and have nobody, or to give up some extra assets for Duchene.

Duchene has actually played well so far. There are many problems in Ottawa but this idea that he is struggling with a new system is a bit of a myth. Karlsson is playing hurt, Ryan is playing hurt, the goalies have been bad, the power play is horrible, the D is a bit of a mess from a combination PoV. Plenty of things need fixing but Duchene has been good everywhere but on the stats sheet. He looked very dangerous against Montreal.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I've been thinking since the trade was made, that Turris is better than Duchene, but I wouldn't hold 9 games of lack of production against Duchene. Very small sample size in regards to his career. To me it's the equivalent of a really good goaltender having an .895 save percentage over a 9 or 10 game stretch.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
Regardless, that trade doesn't make sense to me. Zibanejad is like 6 years younger, he's better right now, he'll be better in 5 years from now when Brassard will be in his mid-30's and probably not even with the Sens anymore, while Zibanejad will still be in his 20's.

It's not as bad or as lopsided as one of those Chiarelli specials from the last couple years, but it's still not good.

A lot of Sens fans would agree with you, including myself. I'm still a big fan of Zibanejad's.

Reactions: Bleedred

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Duchene's wheels started noticeably declining 2 years ago. For a player relying a lot on his speed, that affects his game more than most.

Colorado made out like bandits, Ottawa like the big stock market crash in 1929.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I can't believe it is simply due to one trade that the Sens went into the tank. But it is obvious team chemistry has been affected. I always liked Turris as a player. Would have liked to seen them try to keep him. Dorion will have to find a way to make this right.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
with so many picks traded, little to no prospect depth. there really isn't much hope for the sens with their current core. their starting goalie is 36 as well. I suspect they'll need a rebuild pretty soon.

is that dorion fault? some if it. but the management of the team has been bad for a long time.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
I can't believe it is simply due to one trade that the Sens went into the tank. But it is obvious team chemistry has been affected. I always liked Turris as a player. Would have liked to seen them try to keep him. Dorion will have to find a way to make this right.

It isn't.

I made a lengthy post on the Sens board but TLDR:
Karlsson human
Ryan no hands
Chemistry from Turris-Duchene flip
Mediocre goaltending
Coach averse to change/young players

That's about it. We need a rebuild.

Reactions: naruto

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It isn't.

I made a lengthy post on the Sens board but TLDR:
Karlsson human
Ryan no hands
Chemistry from Turris-Duchene flip
Mediocre goaltending
Coach averse to change/young players

That's about it. We need a rebuild.

A rebuild intrigues me, if the Sens can land a top 5 pick this year. There are some very intriguing prospects this year. And landing one would make this a NJ Devils short rebuild in no time. Not against this idea from a neutral viewpoint.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
They took a chance.

Looks like it might take a bit longer to pan out. But they certainly have dove off a cliff this last little while.

I wouldn't panic. Every game is tough now. Parity is a thing.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
A rebuild intrigues me, if the Sens can land a top 5 pick this year. There are some very intriguing prospects this year. And landing one would make this a NJ Devils short rebuild in no time. Not against this idea from a neutral viewpoint.
no way. they're a mess. one player will not turn that ship around.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
What the hell was the point of the Brassard for Zibanejad trade? The Rangers definitely got the better player in that deal....

And I don't wanna hear ''Well they beat the Rangers in the playoffs last year'' because that's a really dumb way to assess trades.

Because DJ ZBad cared more about spinning vinyl than pucks when he was in Ottawa and was taking his nhl career for granted.
He legitimately was going nowhere on the Senators, the trade was a kick in the pants for him and Brassard has been a significantly better fit since arriving than Zibanejad ever was.

It was a short term gain move, but any Ottawa fan who doesn't have an unreasonable attachment to Swedish prospects or an irrational hatred for management/ownership has no real issue with that move.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
[mod]
if the first round pick goes to Colorado the sens don't pick till the 4th round this year.

I dont want to get into "but we have this guy and that guy so the ranking is stupid" but most publications list the sens as a bottom ranked prospect group. the hockey writers put them at 27 for example. the AHL team is last place so there probably isn't much help coming from there.

Phaneuf and Ryan are 32 and 30, eating a huge portion of cap, and contributing very little. and signed long term. Bobby Ryan seems to hurt his fingers and wrist every year. between last season and this one, he's got a lofty 31 points. if you combined his point totals from last year and this year he would be 5th in NHL scori g for this year. were not even 30 games in. he's paid to be a goal scorer and he has yet to score a goal this year. and your starting goalie is 36 and wildly inconsistent.

add to this that the organization is a budget team.

there is no sugar coating this. it's not a good situation. I think it's pretty clear that this iteration of the sens is a failure. I can't see how the team can avoid a full fledged rebuild.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
[mod]

if the first round pick goes to Colorado the sens don't pick till the 4th round this year.

I dont want to get into "but we have this guy and that guy so the ranking is stupid" but most publications list the sens as a bottom ranked prospect group. the hockey writers put them at 27 for example. the AHL team is last place so there probably isn't much help coming from there.

Phaneuf and Ryan are 32 and 30, eating a huge portion of cap, and contributing very little. and signed long term. Bobby Ryan seems to hurt his fingers and wrist every year. between last season and this one, he's got a lofty 31 points. if you combined his point totals from last year and this year he would be 5th in NHL scori g for this year. were not even 30 games in. he's paid to be a goal scorer and he has yet to score a goal this year. and your starting goalie is 36 and wildly inconsistent.

add to this that the organization is a budget team.

there is no sugar coating this. it's not a good situation. I think it's pretty clear that this iteration of the sens is a failure. I can't see how the team can avoid a full fledged rebuild.

The team is trash, what do you want me to say

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Boucher will likely get canned as well if things don't turn around soon. It's one thing to be boring and good but players and fans get frustrated when the team is boring and they are losing.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Picks can be easily recouped if the Sens want to be sellers, but they can easily go on a run just as quick. Season is only 25 games young. Lots can change. And in the NHL from my exp they often do.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
The team is trash, what do you want me to say
[mod]

I said the management has been bad for years and I think that's true. anderson was a good pickup. but ryan and phaneuf? at their age and performance this was easily foreseeable. the picks and prospects were getting traded away back then as well. youth too (zib for brassard, and others).

that's not all on dorion. a big portion of the mess was handed to him.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Boucher will likely get canned as well if things don't turn around soon. It's one thing to be boring and good but players and fans get frustrated when the team is boring and they are losing.
they can't keep firing coaches. as some point you have to acknowledge the problem is elsewhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad