If Senators miss the playoffs, Dorion should be fired.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Boucher will likely get canned as well if things don't turn around soon. It's one thing to be boring and good but players and fans get frustrated when the team is boring and they are losing.

No.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Considering the Zibanejad for Brassard (got older), Phaneuf trade (anchor contract), Turris++ for Duchene (big risky move for a guy only signed for one more year), trade for + re-signing of Burrows, etc, yes, Dorion should be fired if they miss.

He's made multiple "win now" moves, and now the team is largely built around guys in their primes. If that team can't compete, then it was poor vision that put them together.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
That trade was more financially motivated than the Duchene trade, as there were picks involved as well. If you look on the Sens board you'd find an awful lot of comments about that deal.
There was one pick in that deal and it came from the Sens (2018 2nd) thanks Sens

InAllOurLeafsCommand

Apr 9, 2017
Dorion's trades are a trainwreck so far, nearly every single one is looking like an overpayment for a downgrade. Having a cheap penny pincher like Melnyk no doubt doesn't help, but that doesn't get him off the hook.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Considering the Zibanejad for Brassard (got older), Phaneuf trade (anchor contract), Turris++ for Duchene (big risky move for a guy only signed for one more year), trade for + re-signing of Burrows, etc, yes, Dorion should be fired if they miss.

He's made multiple "win now" moves, and now the team is largely built around guys in their primes. If that team can't compete, then it was poor vision that put them together.
Those weren't "win now" moves...they were "save money now and in the future" moves.

Hell, I'm not convinced Eugene Melnyk wasn't the one who concocted these deals.

Look at the Phaneuf, Zibanejad & Turris deals closely, they all have the same thing in common.

Money

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
The Zibanejad trade is not a problem. His fixation on getting Duchene and his inability to keep Methot (or find a suitable replacement) for that top LD spot on Boucher's system of "left D stands up at the line" are pretty big failures.

Duchene hasn't been bad but why mess with a good thing? A significant number of Sens fans like myself figured Duchene wasn't much of an upgrade and we've been proven right so far. Instead of having one last shot with Turris who has scored some big playoff goals and assisted on other big ones... we could be missing the playoffs and having people walk over the next 2 years.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Regardless, that trade doesn't make sense to me. Zibanejad is like 6 years younger, he's better right now, he'll be better in 5 years from now when Brassard will be in his mid-30's and probably not even with the Sens anymore, while Zibanejad will still be in his 20's.

It's not as bad or as lopsided as one of those Chiarelli specials from the last couple years, but it's still not good.
Zibanejad needed a new multi year deal (which he ended up getting in New York)...

Brassard was already signed and had, at the time, 3 or 4 more years left on his deal, at the same cap hit Zibanejad ended up signing for.

Brassard is only making 3.5M this year and 3.5M next year in actual salary.

Money is the main motivation for the Sens trades right now and they're paying incentives (draft picks) to others teams to facilitate it.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The Zibanejad trade is not a problem. His fixation on getting Duchene and his inability to keep Methot (or find a suitable replacement) for that top LD spot on Boucher's system of "left D stands up at the line" are pretty big failures.

Duchene hasn't been bad but why mess with a good thing? A significant number of Sens fans like myself figured Duchene wasn't much of an upgrade and we've been proven right so far. Instead of having one last shot with Turris who has scored some big playoff goals and assisted on other big ones... we could be missing the playoffs and having people walk over the next 2 years.

It's not that the trade is bad, it's that it was pointless...

They traded Zibanejad for Brassard, perhaps an even swap at worst. But also added a 2nd round pick on top of it to get it done.

Just like they paid an incentive to get an even swap on Turris with Duchene.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Yup. Their trades haven't exactly been great and consideration how far they went last year anything but a 2nd round hard fought exit should be considered an absolute failure.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
In short.
Phaneuf trade was good
Brassard trade has been win-win both sides for now
Duchene trade has definitely been a loss to this point, though it was definitely motivated in terms of trying to get something for someone who was walking at the end of the season, and in reality outside of the 1st round pick nothing of value was given up.

Also picking up Condon was solid.
Burrows for Dahlen is a bit of a wash
Stalberg if we re-signed would have been good.
Not being forced into protecting Methot was good. I think we expected Claesson to replace him but Boucher keeps trying Oduya there

Last edited:

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
It's not that the trade is bad, it's that it was pointless...

They traded Zibanejad for Brassard, perhaps an even swap at worst. But also added a 2nd round pick on top of it to get it done.

Just like they paid an incentive to get an even swap on Turris with Duchene.

Zibanejad sucks and disappears for weeks at a time. He often disappeared at important times - like at the end of the season.

We traded for Brassard and were within a goal of making the SCF.

Now a lot of people on the Sens board will tell you "oh that was a horrible trade" while fawning over Duchene. The results speak for themselves.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
In short.
Phaneuf trade was good
Brassard trade has been win-win both sides for now
Duchene trade has definitely been a loss to this point, though it was definitely motivated in terms of trying to get something for someone who was walking at the end of the season, and in reality outside of the 1st round pick nothing of value was given up.
Phaneuf trade wasn't very good...I mean, a big reason they lost Methot, was because they had to protect Phaneuf.

That alone makes it a bad trade, nevermind the fact they're on the hook with his salary until 20-21.

Brassard trade win-win for both sides? Hmmm not sure I agree with that either.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Zibanejad sucks and disappears for weeks at a time. He often disappeared at important times - like at the end of the season.

We traded for Brassard and were within a goal of making the SCF.

Now a lot of people on the Sens board will tell you "oh that was a horrible trade" while fawning over Duchene. The results speak for themselves.

I don't think Zibanejad is an all-world player...but he's far from sucking. He's become a pretty important player for the Rangers and certainly isn't a worse player than Brassard.

Again, that deal was about saving money...it wasn't about the Sens thinking Brassard is an upgrade on Zibanejad.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Phaneuf trade wasn't very good...I mean, a big reason they lost Methot, was because they had to protect Phaneuf.

That alone makes it a bad trade, nevermind the fact they're on the hook with his salary until 20-21.

Brassard trade win-win for both sides? Hmmm not sure I agree with that either.

Brassard has done way more here than DJ Zbad ever did. Zibanejad wasn't motivated in Ottawa, the trade woke him up.

Phaneuf has been exactly what we needed in the second pair. Losing Methot in an expansion draft that didn't exist yet at the time of the trade is a bit of fancy hindsight to try to make a point. Plus in that trade moved out contracts like Greening in the process.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Brassard has done way more here than DJ Zbad ever did. Zibanejad wasn't motivated in Ottawa, the trade woke him up.

Please explain what he's done "way more" in comparison to Zibanejad?

Phaneuf has been exactly what we needed in the second pair. Losing Methot in an expansion draft that didn't exist yet at the time of the trade is a bit of fancy hindsight to try to make a point.

It's a stretch to call Phaneuf a second pair Dman at this stage, at least IMO...and it's true that I'm speaking in hindsight, it doesn't make it less valid of an opinion, since I also argued at the time that it was a bad trade for the Sens (another move motivated by money).

Plus in that trade moved out contracts like Greening in the process.
Yes, Greening, Michalek & Cowen...a swap of 3 bad contracts, for 1 bad one.

Again...main motivation was about money, not getting better as a team.

I'm convinced Eugene Melnyk is GM'ing these trades

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
I understand why he did the trade, and it was gamble, but yeah he should be fired if they miss.

Also, I still don't understand why he hasn't found a goalie who can eventually take ouver as #1. Anderson is getting old, and he's been terrible this year. Condon is not a future #1 or even a #1b.

They are hoping Hogberg can be an NHL goalie. I am not so sure, personally, but that's the intention.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Please explain what he's done "way more" in comparison to Zibanejad?

It's a stretch to call Phaneuf a second pair Dman at this stage, at least IMO...and it's true that I'm speaking in hindsight, it doesn't make it less valid of an opinion, since I also argued at the time that it was a bad trade for the Sens (another move motivated by money).

Yes, Greening, Michalek & Cowen...a swap of 3 bad contracts, for 1 bad one.

Again...main motivation was about money, not getting better as a team.

I'm convinced Eugene Melnyk is GM'ing these trades

With hindsight, the Phaneuf trade has been fantastic.

The Zibanejad trade, a little less so, but Brassard has definitely brought more to the Sens than Zibanejad before the trade.

One last thing I will say - Uptown Saturday Night? F*** yeah.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad