If Seattle was entering next year, what player do you give up?

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
The Sens are easy:
Duchene*
Stone*
Dzingel*
Tierney
Pageau
Boedker
Smith (?)
-------
Ceci
DeMelo
Harpur
---------
Anderson

Exposed:
Ryan
Condon
Paajarvi
Paul
Gaborik
Borowiecki
Falk
McCormick
Pyatt
Rodewald
Carey
Lindberg
Balisy
Gagne
Tambellini

Exempt:
Tkachuk
White
Batherson
Chabot
Lajoie
Jaros
Wolanin
Chlapik
Brown
Balcers
Formenton
Gustavsson
Hogberg
etc.

I bet they would take Borowiecki lol.

Borgstrom + Tippett would not need to be protected.
Its kinda nice to actually not have to worry about this expansion draft...Maybe we can use it to shake out a decent deal or two

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
The main players available from TOR would be Garret Sparks, Zach Hyman, Connor Brown, Nikita Zaitsev, and... Calle Rosen?

I could see SEA taking Sparks. If Ken Holland is the GM, it might be Brown or Zaitsev.
I feel like it would be a pretty big no brainer for any GM to take Hyman. I could see Zaitsev possibly if the GM likes him for some reason.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Its kinda nice to actually not have to worry about this expansion draft...Maybe we can use it to shake out a decent deal or two

We will lose a good player at actual expansion - this is just what it would be if the draft was at the end of the year.

Tkachuk
White
Batherson
Chabot
Lajoie
Jaros
Wolanin
Chlapik
Brown
Balcers
Gustavsson
Hogberg

will all need to be protected.

I am guessing we will lose one of our young DMen.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
I can see Blake calling a meeting with his assistants trying to decide who to protect. He immediately writes "Doughty" on the white board.

Long silence.

"Okay, guys, I think we're good."

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
We will lose a good player at actual expansion - this is just what it would be if the draft was at the end of the year.

Tkachuk
White
Batherson
Chabot
Lajoie
Jaros
Wolanin
Chlapik
Brown
Balcers
Gustavsson
Hogberg

will all need to be protected.

I am guessing we will lose one of our young DMen.
Fair enough,but judging by that list there is room for us to actually come out far better than us losing another Methot

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Fair enough,but judging by that list there is room for us to actually come out far better than us losing another Methot
Losing Methot was a blessing in disguise. He has played 45 games since leaving and he may not play again this year. We would have been on the hook for almost $10mil and with us, that goes a long way. Loved him on the Sens but he has barely played since he left.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Losing Methot was a blessing in disguise. He has played 45 games since leaving and he may not play again this year. We would have been on the hook for almost $10mil and with us, that goes a long way. Loved him on the Sens but he has barely played since he left.
Yep thats fair,but man that one stung at the time..

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Just think about losing Wolanin, Jaros, or Lajoie in 3 years.... now THAT is gonna sting. Each one of them has the ability to be a long-term piece.
If they all are top 4 guys then we will actually have to spend some assets to keep them...Hopefully by then we will have someone that will actually care about the one ice product

Crazy Monkey

Aug 9, 2009
But the similarities lie in very important aspects - neither are worth a fraction of their contract, both are paid hefty sums to be more than bottom liners but aren't. Why would Seattle take that when there will be useful NHL'ers on decent salaries available?

Yeah I think we have differing opinions on this topic. Going to park it here before we go way off topic. :D

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
If they all are top 4 guys then we will actually have to spend some assets to keep them...Hopefully by then we will have someone that will actually care about the one ice product
I think its best to just let the player go. I cant think of a single Vegas side-deal that actually worked out for the team making it other than mayyybe Minnesota (and they still gave up two top-6 forwards). Teams have learned and, in hindsight, Ottawa was very smart not to do a side deal.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I think its best to just let the player go. I cant think of a single Vegas side-deal that actually worked out for the team making it other than mayyybe Minnesota (and they still gave up two top-6 forwards). Teams have learned and, in hindsight, Ottawa was very smart not to do a side deal.
You are probably right,hopefully expansion will be over for a long while after Seattle...

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I feel like it would be a pretty big no brainer for any GM to take Hyman. I could see Zaitsev possibly if the GM likes him for some reason.

I feel like TOR will be one of the last selections. As they will likely have 3 good options in terms of rounding out a team based on what they need after other picks.

Hyman is a work horse, and a good PK'er, but not much in terms of offensive tools, but he can keep up alright.

Brown is a two-way guy, and has scored 20 goals before.

While Zaitsev is a workhorse of a d-man, can play either the PP or PK. Not the best at exiting the zone so he needs a puck-mover beside him.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I can see Blake calling a meeting with his assistants trying to decide who to protect. He immediately writes "Doughty" on the white board.

Long silence.

"Okay, guys, I think we're good."

Has Kopitar fallen that hard? :laugh:

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Kucherov (NMC)
Stamkos (NMC)
Point
Gourde
Killorn
Palat
Miller
(Cirelli is exempt)

Hedman (NMC)
McDonagh
Sergachev

Vasilevskiy

We would lose Johnson.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
I feel like TOR will be one of the last selections.

One of the last? It's not a sequenced draft. There's only one team picking so they don't need to beat anyone to a punch. One player taken per team. First and last are non concepts.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
One of the last? It's not a sequenced draft. There's only one team picking so they don't need to beat anyone to a punch. One player taken per team. First and last are non concepts.

You misunderstood.

When Seattle picks their players. They need to go through and pick a player from each team, whatever order they want, and then submit that to the NHL. I think TOR is likely one of the teams they leave toward the end during the process, as their players are more guys you round your team out with.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
You misunderstood.

When Seattle picks their players. They need to go through and pick a player from each team, whatever order they want, and then submit that to the NHL. I think TOR is likely one of the teams they leave toward the end during the process, as their players are more guys you round your team out with.

I would contend you misunderstand. There is absolutely no meaning to the order of the names submitted to the NHL. None. Vegas didn't suddenly decide they wanted Fleury 28 picks later than they took Pickard despite the published list having Pickard at 1 and Fleury at 29. The entirety of the selection process is a single atomic act, they massage their entire list until they're happy with the whole that is the group of players it will result in, and then send a list to the league in what can best be described as a random order. There's no concept of any player being an earlier or later selection. The entire team gets 'rounded out' at once.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Seattle taking Zaitsev is nearly as likely as them taking Lucic. Dubas will have to pay them to do it.
What? How does someone actually rationalize a post like this.

Zaitsev is a relatively young 27 year old mobile RHD, which is the highest demand position in hockey right now. He leads the team in hits, blocked shots, and is the leading d-man on a top 10 PK over the past 2 years. His career year is 36 points for a shut down defensemen.

If SJ could off-load Demers, Toronto will have absolutely no problem off-loading Zaitsev for 4.5 mill (overpaid by 1 mill max). I've seen some posters go as far to say Toronto will have to attach a 1st to Z which is hilarious. If Toronto decides to expose him, they won't be paying much to incentivize Seattle to take him.

Lucic has an albatross contract and is less effective than Chiasson at this point in his career. He is the worst cap dump in hockey.

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
The Sens are easy:
Duchene*
Stone*
Dzingel*
Tierney
Pageau
Boedker
Smith (?)
-------
Ceci
DeMelo
Harpur
---------
Anderson

Exposed:
Ryan
Condon
Paajarvi
Paul
Gaborik
Borowiecki
Falk
McCormick
Pyatt
Rodewald
Carey
Lindberg
Balisy
Gagne
Tambellini

Exempt:
Tkachuk
White
Batherson
Chabot
Lajoie
Jaros
Wolanin
Chlapik
Brown
Balcers
Formenton
Gustavsson
Hogberg
etc.

I bet they would take Borowiecki lol.

Borgstrom + Tippett would not need to be protected.

I never considered how much help trashing the roster would provide in an expansion draft.

Maybe they can play this to their advantage to get done quality players for cheap.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I would contend you misunderstand. There is absolutely no meaning to the order of the names submitted to the NHL. None. Vegas didn't decide they wanted Fleury 28 picks later than they took Pickard. The entirety of the selection process is a single atomic act, they massage their entire list until they're happy with the whole that is the group of players it will result in, and then send a list to the league in what can best be described as a random order. There's no concept of any player being an earlier or later selection.

During Seattle's process. They need to start somewhere, determine the player they want to select and move on from there in order to build their team.

So what I am saying, is that as they are building that team, as they are building their lineup with the players available to them. I think plugging in Brown/Hyman/Zaitsev/Sparks will be one of the last decisions they make, depending on how their team shapes up, because if they need a defensive forward they can take Hyman, if they need a more scoring two-way guy they can Brown, if they need a goalie they can take Sparks etc.

Yes, it's all submitted at the same time. It's not like the Entry Draft where it's 1 by 1. Everyone knows that. That's not what I am referring too.

Do you understand what I am saying to you right now?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad