If Seattle was entering next year, what player do you give up?

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
What a strange way to phrase it. You don't decide who to get rid of from your team. You protect 4-4-1 or 7-3-1 and then expose the rest (making sure to meet the GP veteran stipulations in your exposed list). Seattle then decides for you. This is all about showing your work.

What we saw in the case of the Vegas draft is that a team's bad contracts probably aren't going anywhere via expansion. Seattle, like Vegas, will have plenty of options and won't be filling out a team with other GMs' mistakes.

The answer to this one isn't a one-word reply like "Zaitsev"

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Protect Laine, Conner, Hellebuyck, Ehlers, Scheifele, Byfuglein, Wheeler, Little, Lowry, Roslovic , Morrissey, Trouba and Tanev.

Unless I'm missing something here, you can't protect 9F. 7F max. Tanev for sure exposed. Then Little - but he has an NMC. Roslovic or Lowry?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
The Jackets protect:

F: Atkinson, Anderson, Foligno (NMC), Jenner

D: Jones, Werenski, Murray, Nutivaara

Exposed: Wennberg, Bjorkstrand, Duclair, Savard.

That's a lot of exposed talent, I have to remind myself that they only take 1.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Based on contract the Preds would be forced to protect Rinne, which means we are probably either forced to pay through the nose or Seattle probably takes Saros. Outside of that my guess is we risk losing Fiala or Smith. Either way it's going to hurt. If for some reason Poile didn't protect 4 Dmen I'm guessing PK or Ellis would be the odd man out. I don't think Poile lets Josi or Ekholm go anywhere under any circumstance.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If I were the Wild I would expose everyone except Granlund and Dumba.

JoseTheodore2002

Oct 1, 2018
Could you technically have a player play half a season or so right before the draft as a different position could you then kind of cheat the system? ex. C plays 41 games at D gets protected as D.

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
Boston has to protect (NMC):
Bergeron, Marchand, Backes (ouch), Krug, Rask (3F, 1D, 1G)

They would almost certainly protect:
Pasternak, Debrusk, McAvoy (5F, 2D, 1G)

So they have to use the 7-3-1 format.

In which case I'd probably add:
Donato, Heinen, (7F, 2D, 1G)

And then go back and forth on Grzelcyk and Carlo for the final D spot, since whichever I don't pick is likely the one that gets chosen. Probably keep Carlo.

--

Of course the draft happening in 2021 changes a things. Backes (at least) will be off the books, so the "must" protect list of forwards will only be 4 (and thus could use the 8-1 format). A lot more can change in that time too, so it'd be foolish to try and guess beyond this year.

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
Ovi Backstrom kuz Oshie eller Wilson Burakovsky

Carlson orlov niskanen

Holtby

Exempt:Vrana

So Connolly or kempney most likely

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
The Sens are easy:
Duchene*
Stone*
Dzingel*
Tierney
Pageau
Boedker
Smith (?)
-------
Ceci
DeMelo
Harpur
---------
Anderson

Exposed:
Ryan
Condon
Paajarvi
Paul
Gaborik
Borowiecki
Falk
McCormick
Pyatt
Rodewald
Carey
Lindberg
Balisy
Gagne
Tambellini

Exempt:
Tkachuk
White
Batherson
Chabot
Lajoie
Jaros
Wolanin
Chlapik
Brown
Balcers
Formenton
Gustavsson
Hogberg
etc.

I bet they would take Borowiecki lol.

Borgstrom + Tippett would not need to be protected.

Wow Ottawa is positioned well. Almost half their core is exempt. The only ones exposed are their junk.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Dallas Stars

Protect: Benn, Seguin, Radulov, Faksa, Dickinson, Janmark, Shore/Nichushkin, Klingberg, Lindell, Bayreuther/Johns, Bishop

Exempt: Heiskanen, Gurianov, Hintz

UFA: Polak, Spezza, Fedun, Hanley, Methot

Exposed: Shore/Nichushkin, Hanzal, Comeau, Pitlick, Ritchie, Bayreuther/Johns, Honka, Khudobin

One of Shore/Nichushkin depending on who has the worse season. Johns would only be exposed if he doesn’t recover from his concussion. Khudobin is also a good option.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Protect

Kreider
Zibanejad
Buchnevich
Fast
Vesey
Namestnikov
Strome
Staal (FML)
DeAngelo
Shattenkirk
Lundqvist

Exempt

Chytil
Howden
Andersson
Pionk
Georgiev

Pending UFA

Hayes
Zuccarello

Who Cares

McLeod
McQuaid
Fogarty

Exposed

Skjei
Smith

So, there you go. Brady Skjei.

This may not be a bad idea. I think Skjei is a more valuable asset than all of those defensemen listed under the protect category, but its not by much, and none of them are being paid a big salary over a long-term. Getting Skjei off the cap wouldn't be a bad idea, but I don't know if any teams are dumb enough to take his contract.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This may not be a bad idea. I think Skjei is a more valuable asset than all of those defensemen listed under the protect category, but its not by much, and none of them are being paid a big salary over a long-term. Getting Skjei off the cap wouldn't be a bad idea, but I don't know if any teams are dumb enough to take his contract.
Shattenkirk derives a lot of value from being right-handed. I would keep him to deal him in this scenario.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad