If Seattle was entering next year, what player do you give up?

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
During Seattle's process. They need to start somewhere, determine the player they want to select and move on from there in order to build their team.

So what I am saying, is that as they are building that team, as they are building their lineup with the players available to them. I think plugging in Brown/Hyman/Zaitsev/Sparks will be one of the last decisions they make, depending on how their team shapes up, because if they need a defensive forward they can take Hyman, if they need a more scoring two-way guy they can Brown, if they need a goalie they can take Sparks etc.

Yes, it's all submitted at the same time. It's not like the Entry Draft where it's 1 by 1. Everyone knows that. That's not what I am referring too.

Do you understand what I am saying to you right now?

I just don't think the process is nearly as linear as you present it to be. Sure they'll target some players with priority, but they'll be constantly revisiting and revising the whole of their list as the process goes along and assuredly even players they thought they'd be prioritizing in their thinking will be re-evaluated and tweaked until they have a final list they're happy with. I'm sure Vegas had a 30 player-team list at some point, and then tweaked and tweaked and tweaked and tweaked until there was virtually no identifiable concept of who the "last" players were.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
What? How does someone actually rationalize a post like this.

Zaitsev is a relatively young 27 year old mobile RHD, which is the highest demand position in hockey right now. He leads the team in hits, blocked shots, and is the leading d-man on a top 10 PK over the past 2 years. His career year is 36 points for a shut down defensemen.

If SJ could off-load Demers, Toronto will have absolutely no problem off-loading Zaitsev for 4.5 mill (overpaid by 1 mill max). I've seen some posters go as far to say Toronto will have to attach a 1st to Z which is hilarious. If Toronto decides to expose him, they won't be paying much to incentivize Seattle to take him.

Lucic has an albatross contract and is less effective than Chiasson at this point in his career. He is the worst cap dump in hockey.

re: Zaitsev, I could see him going unclaimed simply because there will be a ton of DMen available to Seattle. That said, Leafs could probably get an asset for him in a trade - maybe even a 2nd and a mid/late-rounder if they are able to take some salary back.

I never considered how much help trashing the roster would provide in an expansion draft.

Maybe they can play this to their advantage to get done quality players for cheap.

By the time the actual draft comes along, they will need to give up a pretty good player - most likely one of Jaros/Wolainen or Chlapik/Balcers (one of those fwds will be exposed unless Duchene or Stone walk and one of those DMen will almost certainly be exposed).

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I just don't think the process is nearly as linear as you present it to be. Sure they'll target some players with priority, but they'll be constantly revisiting and revising the whole of their list as the process goes along and assuredly even players they thought they'd be prioritizing in their thinking will be re-evaluated and tweaked until they have a final list they're happy with. I'm sure Vegas had a 30 player-team list at some point, and then tweaked and tweaked and tweaked and tweaked until there was virtually no identifiable concept of who the "last" players were.

I 100% agree with that. It's a large process. We also need to consider that trade offers they get to take certain players are a factor.

My main point was, that even with all that considered, that since TOR will likely have a mix of different styles, they can revise/revisit/determine who they are taking from TOR based on what has come out of the rest of the process near the end, compared to some teams who really only have 1 or 2 guys worth maybe selecting, TOR may have like 5 they could put on their roster right away.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
re: Zaitsev, I could see him going unclaimed simply because there will be a ton of DMen available to Seattle. That said, Leafs could probably get an asset for him in a trade - maybe even a 2nd and a mid/late-rounder if they are able to take some salary back.

By the time the actual draft comes along, they will need to give up a pretty good player - most likely one of Jaros/Wolainen or Chlapik/Balcers (one of those fwds will be exposed unless Duchene or Stone walk and one of those DMen will almost certainly be exposed).

I'm like 100% certain there is a GM that would give up a 2nd for Zaitsev with no retention.

There's only 5 d-men in the league who start in the offensive zone less than Zaitsev does at 5v5 (and Pysyk is tied with Z) and Hjalmarsson and Pysyk are the only two who are a tier above in terms of CF% and only Hjalmarsson is a tier above in terms of xGF%.

I wish there was a way we could consider ZSR with CF%/xGF% in like one stat, because a guy like Zaitsev, Pysyk, Niskanen, would all be seen in much better light by analytic people.

Hjalmarsson is like my dream acquisition, because he's so damn good, and no one really gives him that much credit. Like yeah, people think he's solid but he's soooooooooooo much more than solid.

Reactions: hockeeyyy

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Has Kopitar fallen that hard? :laugh:

Not yet :)

Unfortunately, it's less about him than his contract. By the time the expansion draft comes around in he'll be 34. I can see L.A. being very happy to unload his $10M cap hit (through '23-24) any way they can.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Wow, really?

What happened to Ekblad? He's had his struggles, but there's no way he's been that bad.

Nah he's not bad, but for me I want to purge the current defensive lineup. All of them have failed to develop properly.

Reactions: hockeeyyy

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Protect

Kreider
Zibanejad
Buchnevich
Fast
Vesey
Namestnikov
Strome
Staal (FML)
DeAngelo
Shattenkirk
Lundqvist

Exempt

Chytil
Howden
Andersson
Pionk
Georgiev

Pending UFA

Hayes
Zuccarello

Who Cares

McLeod
McQuaid
Fogarty

Exposed

Skjei
Smith

So, there you go. Brady Skjei.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
:sharks:

Protect:

Hertl
Meier
Suomela
LaBanc
Couture
Goodrow
Chartier

Burns
Dillon
Ryan

Dell

UFA:

Pavelski
Karlsson
Thornton
Donskoi
Sorensen

Available:

Kane
Vlasic
Jones
Melker Karlsson
Braun

For those who will ask “what about Kane, Jones, and Vlasic?” If Seattle wants to take those horrid contracts off our hands, be my guest!

Note that this is what I would do, not what I actually think our GM would do.

Ideally, we re-sign Sorensen, Karlsson, and Pavelski before the season ends. In which case, I would go:

Protect:

Pavelski
Couture
Hertl
Meier
Suomela
LaBanc
Goodrow

Karlsson
Burns
Ryan

Dell

Reactions: Johnny HFBOARDS

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Seattle would not take Zaitsev, they'd take someone like Andreas Johnsson. The Leafs might pay a 1st to have them take Zaitsev instead.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Dadonov and Hoffman for a 4th.

If same rules apply 7/3/1 or 4/4/1

I would protect:
Barkov, Huberdeau, Dadonov, Hoffman, Borgstrom, Tippett, Trocheck
Yandle, don't care.
Don't care

I would give them Ekblad and a Thank you card.

Really?

I know some of you guys have been extremely down on him this season, but he is still a young defenseman.

I get that he has high expectations since he was taken 1st overall a couple of years ago, but i wouldn't at all give up on him. I especially wouldn't just give him away for free. That is just asking for trouble.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
This I agree on. Johnson is somehow even worse than Maatta.
I’m not looking at it in the aspect of whom is worse then whom. But simply who could be expended in an expansion draft with minimal impact. And that’s my order assuming all are the come a Seattle expansion draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad