If Nashville wins the Cup which trade looks worse for the other team?

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
While I don't disagree that Forsberg was only potential when he was traded, saying that no one would have predicted that he'd turn into the player he is ignores everyone who predicted exactly that. Forsberg was expected to turn into at least a top six forward, but projections I read pre-draft had him turning into a top line forward with the ability to play in all three zones and in both special teams situations. Further, his unproven status did mean his value was lower than Subban's, but I don't think anyone would agree that the difference between Erat+Latta and prospect Forsberg was even close in size to the difference between Subban and Weber. At the time of the trade people were already calling it a terrible move which shows that people had a high opinion of Forsberg before he played in the NHL.

Jinsell

May 11, 2007
The trade with Washington AINEC.

Even when that trade went down, I was baffled at how stupid that Caps' brass was for parting with Forsberg for Erat.

At least the Montreal trade made sense.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
While I don't disagree that Forsberg was only potential when he was traded, saying that no one would have predicted that he'd turn into the player he is ignores everyone who predicted exactly that. Forsberg was expected to turn into at least a top six forward, but projections I read pre-draft had him turning into a top line forward with the ability to play in all three zones and in both special teams situations. Further, his unproven status did mean his value was lower than Subban's, but I don't think anyone would agree that the difference between Erat+Latta and prospect Forsberg was even close in size to the difference between Subban and Weber. At the time of the trade people were already calling it a terrible move which shows that people had a high opinion of Forsberg before he played in the NHL.

Which just so happened to be 95% of Hockey's Future and or anyone who knew anything about prospects.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton

IIRC he was playing in Europe at the time of the trade and I doubt most had a chance to see him play at all. I reckon the high opinion of him was due to him being a highly ranked prospect prior to the 2012 draft and being a first round pick. Or its possible they just thought he'd be as good as his dad, Peter.

sajmae

Jun 3, 2010
Czech Republic
More attention might be paid to the Subban trade, but there is absolutely no question that the Forsberg trade was much, much worse.

Montreal might hate losing Subban, but they got a star player in return...and they will have said player for years.

What's Erat doing these days?

Funnily enough Erat actually led his Czech team to a title few weeks back.

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
IIRC he was playing in Europe at the time of the trade and I doubt most had a chance to see him play at all. I reckon the high opinion of him was due to him being a highly ranked prospect prior to the 2012 draft and being a first round pick. Or its possible they just thought he'd be as good as his dad, Peter.
You certainly hadn't watched him play when mentioning Angelo Esposito while trying to justify the trade/play devil's advocate/whatever you were trying to do.

It's great fun to read old threads on here. All the Paajarvi mentions are even funnier in hindsight. They had only nationality in common even back then.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
No one seemed to know why the Caps made that move. I just assumed that they didn't see Forsberg succeeding in the NHL. (like something changed since the draft). Thought they were getting a good depth rental at the time, but the cost was ridiculous. (no else would have offered the equivalent to an 11th ov pick)

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I hate when people judge trades over what team did better afterwards or who made it further the next year(s). To me, that is not at all indicative of who the better player(s) is. *Cough* Adam Larsson for Taylor Hall *Cough*.

Nashville won both of these trades though, no matter if they finished dead last or if they won the cup. Said so when the trades were first made, I'm still saying so now.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
You certainly hadn't watched him play when mentioning Angelo Esposito while trying to justify the trade/play devil's advocate/whatever you were trying to do.

It's great fun to read old threads on here. All the Paajarvi mentions are even funnier in hindsight. They had only nationality in common even back then.

I just couldn't believe such a trade was made. Surely GMGM knew something about FF we didn't....

On the topic, how many games did you watch him play prior to the trade? Rhetorical question.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'd also say they won the Ryan Johansen/Seth Jones trade as well, though it was a pretty logical trade. I'd say more than Subban for Weber straight up was.

I don't think they destroyed them in that trade though, like the other two trades we've talked about in this thread.

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
I just couldn't believe such a trade was made. Surely GMGM knew something about FF we didn't....

Definitely understandable.

It's unfathomable that us random HFBoarders know better than actual GMs and scouts even if that is the case at times.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
As evidenced by this year's post season run, the Subban/Weber deal was the the final crack in the dam that was holding back Nashvilles potential.

But the Johansen/Jones deal was a solid one (edge to Nashville) and the Forsberg/Erat deal (Washington still can't sit down with a donut) built the momentum to get to this place.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Definitely understandable.

It's unfathomable that us random HFBoarders know better than actual GMs and scouts even if that is the case at times.
Washington scouts thought drafting Forsberg was a mistake from the beginning and had him pegged as a huge bust. They had done very little scouting of him before the draft and when he fell they felt vindicated. GM drafted him anyway and some scouts told him it was a wasted pick. When he traded Forsberg GM let everyone know what the scouts had told him. Maybe he was lying but who knows. Forsberg is arguably the best player from that draft and outside of Habs fan most consider him the best forward from that year.

Forsberg is easily the biggest theft in team history. Erat was declining and Latta was a "B" level prospect.

Weber is still a top 20 player at his position so the Subban trade is not anywhere near the theft that Forsberg was.

That's a meme that's been going on since he was drafted. Several lazy reporters actually said he was Peter's son prior to the draft.

Same thing happened with Nathan Horton and Tim Horton even though Nathan was born over a decade after Tim's death.

Last edited:

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009

I'm not talking about just fans and pundits. I'm talking about people who are paid too scout incoming prospects. He really was projected to be a top line, 60+ point player with a solid two-way game and high hockey IQ.

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
Nashville is here with or without Subban. It wasn't one defenseman that got them over the jump. Ryan Johanson is a big reason to help push further finally offensively but mostly right now they are here.because Rinne is unbeatable this playoffs. Forsberg is 100 times more valuable as far as those 2 trades go. Nashville I still believe would be better with Weber so it's a bed no brainer.

Nope. Weber was holding back the team in the room and on the ice period.

Last edited:

Joel Ward

Sep 24, 2012
Toronto
Forsberg. Just a ****ing awful trade from day 1. I am a level headed person and get upset very infrequently, especially with regards to sports, but I was absolutely livid when that deal was announced. I'm still not over it, and I find it tough to watch Nashville somtimes. FF was my favourite prospect in that draft and was so overjoyed when he fell to the Caps.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
To me, I view it like this:

The Forsberg/Erat trade was simply a bad trade.

The Subban trade was one where Monteal went on about changing the culture of the room and team. Bunch of dumbasses. The writing was on the wall when they "banned" PK and Price from celebrating after a win because it was too "showy".

It looks good on the if it blows up in their face.

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
Can you imagine David Poile's face when GM said, "David..I need an experienced winger. How would you feel about Martin Erat & Michael Latta for say......Filip Forsberg?

giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad