If Nashville wins the Cup which trade looks worse for the other team?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Let's say Nashville ends up winning the Cup between them getting P.K. Subban and Filip Forsberg in trades no one saw happening, which one would look worse for Montreal and Washington who traded each player.

It might be easy to say it's Washington based on how Martin Erat played for them, however with Montreal they decided Subban wasn't right for them and him possibly winning the Cup 1 year later might make Marc Bergevin look worse for trading him.

Nashvols

Jun 8, 2011
Nashville
More attention might be paid to the Subban trade, but there is absolutely no question that the Forsberg trade was much, much worse.

Montreal might hate losing Subban, but they got a star player in return...and they will have said player for years.

What's Erat doing these days?

GeorgesLaRAWK

Mar 12, 2009
Forsberg, whether they win a cup or not.

They gave up a legit player and their captain for Subban. They gave up Erat for Forsberg.

The Capitals are a disgrace.

Last edited:

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Forsberg for Erat is one of the worst trades I've ever seen. Mcphee shouldn't be allowed back in the NHL because of that. Weber is at least a good player, even if he's not as dynamic as Subban.

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
More attention might be paid to the Subban trade, but there is absolutely no question that the Forsberg trade was much, much worse.

Montreal might hate losing Subban, but they got a star player in return...and they will have said player for years.

What's Erat doing these days?

I agree with this.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
That Forsberg for Erat trade was a disaster from the beginning. I remember it well. I can't recall a single person thinking it made any sense.

I kind of understand the Subban/Weber deal... in a sense. Still think it was dumb by MTL. But not as dumb as Forsberg for Erat. It's an all-timer.

PKWeber

Mar 1, 2017
Montreal
The Subban-Souray trade AINEC. For years Nashville couldn't make it out the second round then they trade for PK and are now in the WCF for the first time in franchise history.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
The Forsberg trade is so much worse. It took under a year to look horrific. It'll take a couple years minimum, when Shea starts to big time decline, to truly appreciate the abomination that was that trade

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
Let's say Nashville ends up winning the Cup between them getting P.K. Subban and Filip Forsberg in trades no one saw happening, which one would look worse for Montreal and Washington who traded each player.

It might be easy to say it's Washington based on how Martin Erat played for them, however with Montreal they decided Subban wasn't right for them and him possibly winning the Cup 1 year later might make Marc Bergevin look worse for trading him.

I have a hard time believing this is even a question . , clearly it's the forsberg deal

How much better would the caps have been this year w forsberg?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

This. Many times over.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Nashville is here with or without Subban. It wasn't one defenseman that got them over the jump. Ryan Johanson is a big reason to help push further finally offensively but mostly right now they are here.because Rinne is unbeatable this playoffs. Forsberg is 100 times more valuable as far as those 2 trades go. Nashville I still believe would be better with Weber so it's a no brainer.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
The Forsberg trade looked as horrible as it did the second it happened. At least Weber is still a top pairing defenseman.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Forsberg trade was a straight up fleecing which upgraded Nashville's team and offense by 5 fold.

Subban trade was a hockey trade that changed the identity/direction of the team.

Forsberg trade was way worse. But Subban trade was probably necessary if they do win the cup. Montreal shouldn't feel bad in terms of their on ice product, it wasn't changed too much. Odds are, they wouldn't have gone much any further with Subban over Weber, but no one really knows. Inject Weber into Nashville and they maybe make it to the SCF, or WCF. Probably no Cup. Remove Forsberg and Nashville might not even make the playoffs.

Thread The Needle

I have no strong feelings one way or the other.
Nov 28, 2016
Detroit
I'm still trying to wrap my head around the Forsberg trade, so definitely that. Was it because Erat's name sounded funny? I really can't figure it out.

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
It is definitively the Forsberg trade; not even close. Maybe in the future it could be Subban/Weber, but honestly not close right now

Red Dread

Oct 19, 2011
Maryland
Simply put, George McPhee being the GM of the Capitals for about fifteen years should provide enough context to the Capitals' long streak of playoff failures, and alleviate some of the negative attention off of the players currently in the organization affected by those years.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Forsberg is the best offensive player in team history. Subban arguably isn't the best defenseman currently on the team.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
Forsberg trade was a straight up fleecing which upgraded Nashville's team and offense by 5 fold.

Subban trade was a hockey trade that changed the identity/direction of the team.

Forsberg trade was way worse. But Subban trade was probably necessary if they do win the cup. Montreal shouldn't feel bad in terms of their on ice product, it wasn't changed too much. Odds are, they wouldn't have gone much any further with Subban over Weber, but no one really knows. Inject Weber into Nashville and they maybe make it to the SCF, or WCF. Probably no Cup. Remove Forsberg and Nashville might not even make the playoffs.

Keep thinking the Subban trade was a hockey trade :lol:

Habs have gone to 2 conference finals with Subban and that's before Price went into God mode. PK might be one of the most underrated players on this board...Weber one of the most overrated.

Weber has been in Nashville for almost a decade and hasn't gotten out of the 2nd round. Now all of a sudden he's winning a cup? :lol:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad