If Marc Bergevin is fired, who do you want for next Habs GM ?

Next Habs GM

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

sbhatt

Nov 10, 2015
The best hockey man for the job, language be damned. For once, I'd like our owner to grow a pair and say he's building a winner the right way and isnt' going to play the Quebec political game...that any fans/media who are butthurt by a non-French speaking GM and coach can go pound sand if having a translator on hand isn't good enough for them. The building will be sold out and ratings will be just fine if a few combative seperatists types cancel their season tickets/tune out. Sick and tired of the same old formula getting us piss-poor results.

Reactions: Chan790

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
How is Mathieu Darche a choice? Is this a f***ing joke?

He is currently director of hockey ops in Tampa. He will probably end up assistant GM within a few years.

Hiring him as GM would skips a few steps, but stranger things have happened in your average NHL front office.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Roy! I want someone to rip into the players and not get all choked up when handing out contracts like you just handed your best friend a winning lottery ticket you get to share in.

Reactions: hvac412

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Bergevin has built a team in his image as a player, now let Roy build a team in his. Give him the GM + Coach job and see where it leads us. It's the only way to break the curse.

I would not give Roy the coach job. I think he has the potential to be a good GM. But as a coach in the NHL i don't see it personally.

Reactions: Vachon23

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Teams don't pick GMs because of their NHL careers.

And Roy literally quit because he didn't have enough input. He's still GM AND coach with Remparts and wanted that kind of role in the NHL too.

Roy isn't going to bring modern ideas, he's going to do his thing.
That's not what he's doing with QC since he return. I think that's the point that a lot don't understand. He REALLY change since he comeback in the Q and that's what impress me because before, I absolutely didn't want Roy and I taught he was overrated as hockey management guy just because of his name but that's not the case anymore. He adapt to new reality and he's really doing a good rebuilding the Ramparts

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
If we're looking for a young french speaking candidate with a decent amont of pro experience in a managing role, Madden Jr is pretty much the only possible candidate. It's him and the guy in Tampa and why would he ever leave the situation he's got there?

Last edited:

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Hugo Girard.
hugo.jpg

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Bergevin has built a team in his image as a player, now let Roy build a team in his. Give him the GM + Coach job and see where it leads us. It's the only way to break the curse.

Are you by any chance related to Patrick Roy?

That's exactly the duties of a GM

That's my point. You don't get pick the staff of a GM with other GM candidates with different skill sets.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I would not give Roy the coach job. I think he has the potential to be a good GM. But as a coach in the NHL i don't see it personally.
Totally agree with that ! He actually reportedly said to some of veteran guys in the Q that if he's coming back in the NHL, it's as a GM and not HC

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
That's not what he's doing with QC since he return. I think that's the point that a lot don't understand. He REALLY change since he comeback in the Q and that's what impress me because before, I absolutely didn't want Roy and I taught he was overrated as hockey management guy just because of his name but that's not the case anymore. He adapt to new reality and he's really doing a good rebuilding the Ramparts

Managing in the CHL is dramatically different than in the NHL. Its not translatable. Its a major leap. As an AGM? you can make the argument.

First Line

There’s something about Marty
Aug 21, 2002
If things implode, they need to clean house and start a rebuild. I think Roy would be the best option in that instance.

Reactions: DavePeak

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Managing in the CHL is dramatically different than in the NHL. Its not translatable. Its a major leap. As an AGM? you can make the argument.
Agree 100 % that wasn't my point, but he hired Christian Vermette as AGM, who was considered as the best scout in the QMJHL and Martin Lapperiere who many team would take as HC. He's not afraid to surrender himself around quality guy and the way he manage his team have change. Yes it's not the NHL, but it's still a good start (Kyle Dubas started in the OHL him to ) and he does have NHL experience.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
That was the yrs when everybody wanted to fire MB right ?
That was the year Bergevin thought Radulov and Markov were easily replaceable and it bit him in the ass so badly. We were 4th last in the league not because we wanted to tank, but because the team was so horrible.

Reactions: Vachon23

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Money talks though, just give them an offer they can’t refuse. If Molson wants the best candidate for the job, he can pull off something like this

Habs would need Wings/Bolts permission just to talk to them. And you won't get permission unless you are willing to promote them to a higher position (NHL teams usually don't get in the way of career advancement, but straight up poaching just doesn't happen.)

Reactions: Doc5

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Habs would need Wings/Bolts permission just to talk to them. And you won't get permission unless you are willing to promote them to a higher position (NHL teams usually don't get in the way of career advancement, but straight up poaching just doesn't happen.)

So President + GM ? Even with that not sure Brisebois would want to leave the perfect situation where he is.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Agree 100 % that wasn't my point, but he hired Christian Vermette as AGM, who was considered as the best scout in the QMJHL and Martin Lapperiere who many team would take as HC. He's not afraid to surrender himself around quality guy and the way he manage his team have change. Yes it's not the NHL, but it's still a good start (Kyle Dubas started in the OHL him to ) and he does have NHL experience.

Hiring scouts and HC candidates isn't the overarching issue with Montreal. Bergevin hired Mellanby, Burke etc. and other guys who are well respected in hockey circles. He hired Bouchard and Ducharme.

Bergevin's issue is that he wouldn't pick a clear direction or long term strategy and he hasn't built any internal analytical knowledge base.

Roy quit the Avs because he didn't like the direction Sakic was taking the team (the direction that led them here). He's not going to make the kind of changes Montreal needs.

Reactions: OldCraig71
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad