Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'm not sure what you do. There simply isn't a ready-made replacement for everything Landy does both on and off the ice for this organization. And anyone who comes close is going to cost a fortune to acquire.

I'd pin the C on MacKinnon and look far and wide for as many two-way players up front as I could find. Might also see about upgrading the goaltending any way I can because brother...you're gonna need it.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I'm not sure what you do. There simply isn't a ready-made replacement for everything Landy does both on and off the ice for this organization. And anyone who comes close is going to cost a fortune to acquire.

I'd pin the C on MacKinnon and look far and wide for as many two-way players up front as I could find. Might also see about upgrading the goaltending any way I can because brother...you're gonna need it.

Hopefully they don’t lose Landy, but I would go EJ for a year and then Makar.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
If Landy walks you put the full court press on acquiring Eichel.

Yep this.

If Landy leaves Eichel needs to be the play.

In terms of the Captaincy, I wouldn't give it to MacKinnon but then I think Mackinnon wouldn't respond to that very well either and probably ends up leaving as a UFA. But he really is not a Captain at all.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
21st in league scoring.

Get your head outta your ass.
Put him on a line that doesn't feature two of the best players on the planet and he comes no where close to 21st in the league in scoring. Maybe top 50-60 amongst forwards.

Landy has been given the fortunate opportunity to play with 29 and 96 most of the time including PP time. I guarantee that a lot of players would look a lot better offensively if they played most their minutes with those two.

Not saying Landeskog is bad offensively, but he isn't as good as his numbers suggest. He's a 20-25g 30-35a type guy without 29 and 96. Which isn't bad, solid 2nd liner material. But isn't the 35g 40a guy he is with 29 and 96.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Giving Mackinnon the C would be a huge mistake imo. He's shown nothing in his career so far that he has what it takes to be a captain.

That's ridiculous. He's the hardest working player on the team both on and off the ice, he makes everyone around him better, demands accountability from his teammates and organization, and we've seen behind the scenes that he gets up to talk to the players on a regular basis. He's also been a great ambassador for the organization, and fiery as he is on the ice, he's actually very collected and well-spoken off of it.

People keep looking at his occasional outbursts but those very same people probably complained about how Sakic wasn't a "fiery" enough leader.

Again, this better be a moot point because losing Landeskog would be an abject disaster, but MacKinnon as captain would be a perfectly logical choice if Landy were to leave.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
That's ridiculous. He's the hardest working player on the team both on and off the ice, he makes everyone around him better, demands accountability from his teammates and organization, and we've seen behind the scenes that he gets up to talk to the players on a regular basis. He's also been a great ambassador for the organization, and fiery as he is on the ice, he's actually very collected and well-spoken off of it.

People keep looking at his occasional outbursts but those very same people probably complained about how Sakic wasn't a "fiery" enough leader.

Again, this better be a moot point because losing Landeskog would be an abject disaster, but MacKinnon as captain would be a perfectly logical choice if Landy were to leave.
I mean the guy hates anything to do with speaking to the media and being the captain means you have to be the voice of the team. I could be wrong as I'm not in the locker room but he does not come off as someone who is emotionally mature enough to handle the role of being THE captain.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I mean the guy hates anything to do with speaking to the media and being the captain means you have to be the voice of the team. I could be wrong as I'm not in the locker room but he does not come off as someone who is emotionally mature enough to handle the role of being THE captain.

He doesn't love doing interviews but he does them. He may not be as naturally charismatic as Landeskog but that doesn't mean he wouldn't be fine as the captain. In fact I'd say he'd be great in the role.

And FTR the captaincy has always been wildly overrated. Dustin Brown IMO was an absolutely horrid choice for captain of the Kings, and that did nothing to deter them from winning two Cups.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
The Avs don't really have an ideal captain if Landy walks. MacKinnon should not be the captain imo, dude does not even want to say a word to the media and is a hothead with mood swings.

EJ is the most ready, but who knows how many games he will be able to play. Probably make him a stopgap captain until someone like Makar can take over.

Last edited:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Players that pout as much as MacKinnon does shouldn't be given the "C".

If anything, I'd sooner hand it to Cale Makar before I hand it to #29. And Cale isn't ready for that yet.

Reactions: LTC Pain

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Players that pout as much as MacKinnon does shouldn't be given the "C".

If anything, I'd sooner hand it to Cale Makar before I hand it to #29. And Cale isn't ready for that yet.
Good thing we still have Compher. He seems more than ready to handle that sort of responsibility.

Reactions: dahrougem2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad