Speculation: IF Landy doesn't sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

outoftune

Nov 16, 2011
1000 Chopper Circle
Interested in your thoughts. If Landy asks for way too much and doesn't sign in Colorado, what would you do?

I'd be pushing hard on the trade market to bring in another young forward using our wealth of D-men (Girard+ for Nylander, go after Gaudreau, maybe Eichel depending on price, and last resort short term hall+ tatar)

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Interested in your thoughts. If Landy asks for way too much and doesn't sign in Colorado, what would you do?

I'd be pushing hard on the trade market to bring in another young forward using our wealth of D-men (Girard+ for Nylander, go after Gaudreau, maybe Eichel depending on price, and last resort short term hall+ tatar)
Use Landy’s money on Hall (apparently he’s fine with a short term deal) to play on the 2nd line and trade for Killorn to be Landy lite on line one.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
If Landeskog signs somewhere else my guess Sakic will mix up the roster construction and the Seth Jones rumors come to fruition.

They're never going to find someone to replace Landeskog (my guess is the first line would become Burakovsky - MacKinnon - Rantanen), so they'll bring in a couple guys (re-sign Saad + someone else) to make sure there's decent depth.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
My guess would be that Sakic signs another player with some characteristics that Landy brings (although not as talented as Landy). Players like Zach Hyman, Blake Coleman, etc.

Just as large of an issue for Sakic is how to fill the off ice and locker room void left by a Landy departure. I am not sure who would be named captain in that situation. I doubt it would Mack, who seems like a poor fit for captaincy and I doubt that he even wants the C. Perhaps Makar? Perhaps a rotating C for a while (Mack, Rants, Makar)?

We'll see what happens. It is interesting that we have not seen any one of Landy, Grubs, or Makar sign. I have not even heard the slightest leak regarding possible negotiations.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
gettyimages-Sam-Reinhart.jpg

And I'd slap that C on Makar so hard he falls over.

But Landy isn't leaving...

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
My biggest concern with Landy leaving is that it’s another gritty player leaving this roster. I don’t think his direct replacement needs to exactly be a physical player but that need will have to be addressed somewhere.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
The winger market is pretty deep in terms of possible trade targets.

Garland, Bertuzzi, Konecny, Reinhart, and Tkachuk have all been rumoured to be available. I imagine Sakic would go after one of those guys, or look at Hyman/Coleman/Hall in UFA. I would hate to lose Landeskog obviously, but it is a deep position.

I agree with @The Abusement Park too. If he were to go, use that money to go get Eichel.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I know it seems far fetched to most that Landy might leave, but I'd start preparing yourselves for it. I think there is a much higher chance it happens, than you all think. I'd say maybe like 30% chance, maybe even a littler higher.

If his agent instructs him to go UFA and listen to offers it could get ugly fast for the Avs. All it would take is LA or St Louis going all in and offering something in the 8.5+ range over 7 years. I mean I think Landy would give us an opportunity to come close, but we can kiss any chance of winning anything goodbye if we sign him to that kind of crap deal.

Sakic better not cave to a 2nd line caliber guy and give him a asinine contact just because he is the captain. This is a cutthroat business, he needs to be signed for what we are comfortable offering or he needs to go. He isn't a can't lose him type. That's reserved for guys like 29, 8 or even 96.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
I see very few reasons why Landeskog isn't re-signed at this point other than he is asking for more than the Avs are willing to hand out.

This close to UFA, the Avs have surely given their offers and if the player was fine with any of those the deal would have already been signed.

I would guess he walks at this point. There will be a desperate team overrating his value that will give 8M+ for 7 years.

Reactions: AvsWraith

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I don't see him being worth the kind of money people are talking about here. Yeah you don't want to lose him, but damn that gives a lot of flexibility to the team and it starts with not having to protect him in the ED.

Even though there is lots of talent on the D side, I think a veteran presence who stays healthy (looking at you EJ) like Suter would be perfect. Its exactly what they don't have there. Now don't sign him until he's 40 but a few years with some of the saved Captain money makes this a better team. Pair him up with Byram, but in general ask him to help grow the boys into men and this team is loaded for another 4-6 years of Cup runs.

Reactions: John Snow

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango
I know it seems far fetched to most that Landy might leave, but I'd start preparing yourselves for it. I think there is a much higher chance it happens, than you all think. I'd say maybe like 30% chance, maybe even a littler higher.

If his agent instructs him to go UFA and listen to offers it could get ugly fast for the Avs. All it would take is LA or St Louis going all in and offering something in the 8.5+ range over 7 years. I mean I think Landy would give us an opportunity to come close, but we can kiss any chance of winning anything goodbye if we sign him to that kind of crap deal.

Sakic better not cave to a 2nd line caliber guy and give him a asinine contact just because he is the captain. This is a cutthroat business, he needs to be signed for what we are comfortable offering or he needs to go. He isn't a can't lose him type. That's reserved for guys like 29, 8 or even 96.

I hate to agree, but I must. Throw Seattle in that mix as well. We already have the poster-boy for age related diminishment in EJ. Can this team really afford to pay a 35/36 year old Landy $8.5M? Can they really afford to pay him anything more than $5.5M while he's eating 3rd line minutes? I'd be fine with 7 x $5.5M AAV to spread the pain over more years. But anything over 7 x $6.0 M AAV means to me that we raise his jersey into the rafters, and cheer like hell every time he comes to Denver as a visitor.

Reactions: John Snow
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino