Speculation: IF Landy doesn't sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Best case scenario is that Johnson is no longer on the team. Shoring up the offence is much easier if we can shed his cap hit.
No, best case scenario is for EJ to be healthy and play a full season as a top 4 Dman. If healthy he's a perfect fit next to Girard, and also a leader in the room.

If he's not healthy then the next best scenario is LTIR all season to open up $6m.

The problem is if he's only able to play a few games again like last year.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
No way Landeskog signs in Seattle now. He’d be on a bottom feeder for the rest of his good years.

The Blues have 17 million to sign 5 forwards. They will need to get out of Tarasenko’s contract to stand a chance with Landeskog. They also let Pietrangelo walk because they wouldn’t give him everything under the sun. Why would they do that for Landeskog?

The Lightning and Vegas are in cap hell.

The Oilers are going to go with Hyman.

The Leafs have 9 million to get a backup and two forwards.

If it is about money, I think it comes down to Colorado or the Islanders, unless one of those other teams moves a big cap player, like Tarasenko for example.

I like that it has been radio silence from the Landeskog camp too. To me, that is working with Sakic, not against him.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
No way Landeskog signs in Seattle now. He’d be on a bottom feeder for the rest of his good years.

The Blues have 17 million to sign 5 forwards. They will need to get out of Tarasenko’s contract to stand a chance with Landeskog. They also let Pietrangelo walk because they wouldn’t give him everything under the sun. Why would they do that for Landeskog?

If it is about money, I think it comes down to Colorado or the Islanders, unless one of those other teams moves a big cap player, like Tarasenko for example.

I like that it has been radio silence from the Landeskog camp too. To me, that is working with Sakic, not against him.
Tampa could find a way out of some contracts, like if they move Stamkos.

I think our resident Tampa fan @henchman24 already outlined that.

I guess Florida could find a way as well.

But realistically NYI are the biggest threat.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008

Martin Jones - $750K
Gabe Landeskog - $7.5M x 7, +Canadian Tire sponsorship deal
Joe Thornton - $750K

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
I'm actually gonna be more disappointed now if Landeskog DOES sign because it leaves us less than $10 M in cap space to have to add multiple dmen and depth forwards and having to go bargain bin hunting for depth forwards is always a bad idea imo, you want a bit of room.

Honestly can Sakic not find a $3-4M winger on a shorter contract to replace some of Landeskog's production and then spend that remaining $3-3.5 M on a Graves replacement? I honestly feel we'd be a team better off than signing a 50ish point player to $7 M whose totals are inflated from playing with Mac/Mikko.

And I say this as a huge Landeskog fan. It's a hard decision but it's one that needs to be made imo. Best thing Sakic can do is to other teams know that if they can sign him for 8 years through us so we get maybe a 6th or a 7th out of it which would be better than it usually is considering how random this 2021 draft is gonna be.

milehigh11

Mar 4, 2014
Mile High State
What do people think about Alex Wennberg be that 3rd line center but could probably play the 2nd line if there are injuries. I still would love to be able to call up Drury in NY and say hey we trade you Kadri/Bura + for Buch and Strome as there are reports he is looking to see their value one is RFA the other has 1-year remaining. That would then give us a solid center group of Mack, Strome, Wennberg, Jost/Sherwood

BTW: I can finally comment. The website hated me yesterday lol

Reactions: shadow1

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Maybe he shouldn't sign? Better to play for a team where he is appreciated and prove the critics they were wrong? A bit like O'Reilly.

If Colorado management and a lot of fans don't respect him then it's time to move on. I don't want to see Landy being humiliated even more, hopefully he has pride and strength now to move on.

A lot of "experts" including Colorado management is indirectly putting the blame on Landy for the last seasons failures, this has to hurt.

Wait...did I miss something here? Who from the team has said anything like this?????

As for my thoughts (I'm not an expert or from the team...I'm just a rando on a message board), it is not simply a matter of respect. It's the FACT of a stagnant salary cap combined with Landy's age and models showing regression may not be far off for him. The Avs should try very hard to make sure he stays, but in my opinion we should be signing him as a 2nd line RW/C. The salary landscape has changed since Landy's last contract and the league is now paying the big bucks to RFAs which is eating up what is left over for UFAs. This contract needed to be done last summer and now has a decent chance at ending worse than the Stastny situation. At least we had internal options to replace Pauly when he walked, who do we have to step into a LW spot? Sakic might be a shrewd GM at trading but if Landy walks for nothing, this is not going to be a good look for Joe.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Well, I was referring to the number of negative comments about Landy here and also the fact that he is not signed yet. If Colorado management valued him higher he would be signed by now.

I know that Landeskog is disappointed himself (this taking so long), one thing is for sure, he wants or wanted? to stay, not sure right now.

Personally I think it's time for him to move on, proving the critics they were wrong. Turning this negative experience to positive energy. I have changed my mind completely the last weeks. Him and O'Reilly in the same line would be nice. I also think he would do well in Toronto or Montreal. Rangers, cool but maybe an overwhelming task. Edit: Flyers cool too but Landeskog is playing much more careful/wise since his concussions, he will never be an old school Flyers type of power forward. I think the Avs will win the Cup at least twice the next 5 years with him or without him anyway, a great and fun team, entertaining. MacKinnon would probably become a very good captain, perhaps this role would force him to mature ever more. He is top three player in the entire world, the C would look good on him.

Last edited:

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
I think with the cap room Philly just opened up they're going to go hard after Landy. They're a team that's never afraid to make big splashes and to pay up.

Luckily the Avs have a great replacement at half the price already signed.

Reactions: 21

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Luckily the Avs have a great replacement at half the price already signed.

A real bargain, as good or even better as Landy for half the price??? It's a no-brainer! He probably plays harder than Landy too and is a better leader, not to forget dealing with the press and pressure. (Since Colorado didn't win the Cup with Landy as a Captain yet he is obviously a failure anyway.)

The hockey expertize on this forum always making me humble.

Last edited:

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
A real bargain, as good or even better as Landy for half the price??? It's a no-brainer! He probably plays harder than Landy too and is a better leader, not to forget dealing with the press and pressure. (Since Colorado didn't win the Cup with Landy as a Captain he is obviously a failure anyway.

The hockey expertize on this forum always making me humble.

Compher will score 42 goals and donate his entire salary to an orphanage.

All for half the cap hit.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Well, I was referring to the number of negative comments about Landy here and also the fact that he is not signed yet. If Colorado management valued him higher he would be signed by now.

I know that Landeskog is disappointed himself (this taking so long), one thing is for sure, he wants or wanted? to stay, not sure right now.

Personally I think it's time for him to move on, proving the critics they were wrong. Turning this negative experience to positive energy. I have changed my mind completely the last weeks. Him and O'Reilly in the same line would be nice. I also think he would do well in Toronto or Montreal. Rangers, cool but maybe an overwhelming task. Edit: Flyers cool too but Landeskog is playing much more careful/wise since his concussions, he will never be an old school Flyers type of power forward. I think the Avs will win the Cup at least twice the next 5 years with him or without him anyway, a great and fun team, entertaining. MacKinnon would probably become a very good captain, perhaps this role would force him to mature ever more. He is top three player in the entire world, the C would look good on him.

I'm sorry...but I have no idea where you get this kinda thought from. I'm pretty sure Joe and the rest of the Colorado Avalanche are very damn well aware of who Gabe is and what he is capable of. You say this is about the value of a player, but I still say...it is about building a team. If Landy wants to break the team budget, he is willing to do so...but don't make it sound like Joe is the bad guy here. Joe is trying to build a team capable of winning the Stanley Cup. Gabe can be a part of it, and Joe is trying to tell him where he fits in. Yes, he is the Captain and an emotionally responsible leader of the team. Those two things don't add up to what he is asking for considering his age, closeness to regression and number of years he wants on his contract. Imagine this...the ultimate team player is putting himself before the team.

I don't hold any ill-will towards Gabe. I think he was and is awesome and I'd love to have him back next season (provided we can also do something to drastically help the second line.) But if we are going to win a cup, I'd much rather have a semi-decent top-line LW, combined with a more complete 2nd line than having Gabe back in the fold at a price that cripples Joe from doing anything to help the second line.

You framed the conversation from the perspective that Sakic doesn't value Landy. Have you given any thought to the fact that Landy might be trying to over-value himself at the expense of the team in these negotiations?

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Just going to ask this one time.

How much do you think Gabe values his leadership skills? Seriously, how much money is he tacking on here due to intangibles?

How many years of this kind of play does he actually believe he has left?

Does he believe moving to another team at a higher salary will get him any closer to a cup? If not, then I have to ask...is he playing for a paycheck or a cup? I'd rather have my team filled with players that hate losing more than they enjoy winning. Not sure which category he is in right now. Nate made it clear he was pissed with losing this year. I haven't heard the same from Gabe.

Reactions: burgundynblue

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

This is essentially how I see it. Boils down to the Islanders and the Avalanche.

I do not believe Tampa Bay will make all of the moves necessary to bring Landeskog in. Nor do I think Toronto will do that. Vegas needs centres, they won't target Landeskog. Oilers like you said chose Hyman. Blues suck, and Shane O'Brien and Frank Seravelli have both already said Landeskog does not want St. Louis.

Honestly for me I think the dark horse team to watch in all of this is Florida. They have almost 11.5M in cap space with 12 forwards, 7 defensemen and 2 goaltenders signed. Their only RFA's are Sam Bennett and Lucas Wallmark that they're likely to re-sign. Both Alex Wennberg and Brandon Montour likely test free agency. Then you have the reports of them looking to trade Anton Stralman and his 5.5M cap hit to Arizona for nothing.

Can you imagine Florida moved Stralman for nothing and managed to not only sign Landeskog but make a trade for Seth Jones? They'd instantly be the scariest team in the league for me.

Reactions: Avs71

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
Can you imagine Florida moved Stralman for nothing and managed to not only sign Landeskog but make a trade for Seth Jones? They'd instantly be the scariest team in the league for me.

Not forget the "Tax-Advantage" in Florida...... And it´s a nice place........

But even if they ship out Stralma, they could only go "All-In" this year, but afterwards, they will face the same consequences we do now.

That´s why I´m still pissed we wasted a golden opportunity last season, starting with that disaster on Deadline-Day.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Not forget the "Tax-Advantage" in Florida...... And it´s a nice place........

But even if they ship out Stralma, they could only go "All-In" this year, but afterwards, they will face the same consequences we do now.

That´s why I´m still pissed we wasted a golden opportunity last season, starting with that disaster on Deadline-Day.
The fact that many folks are penciling in Kadri as 2nd line center this season has me seriously worried. I know the Avs will make the playoffs...but if he's our 2nd line center, we will not win a Cup.

Reactions: NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
This is essentially how I see it. Boils down to the Islanders and the Avalanche.

I do not believe Tampa Bay will make all of the moves necessary to bring Landeskog in. Nor do I think Toronto will do that. Vegas needs centres, they won't target Landeskog. Oilers like you said chose Hyman. Blues suck, and Shane O'Brien and Frank Seravelli have both already said Landeskog does not want St. Louis.

Honestly for me I think the dark horse team to watch in all of this is Florida. They have almost 11.5M in cap space with 12 forwards, 7 defensemen and 2 goaltenders signed. Their only RFA's are Sam Bennett and Lucas Wallmark that they're likely to re-sign. Both Alex Wennberg and Brandon Montour likely test free agency. Then you have the reports of them looking to trade Anton Stralman and his 5.5M cap hit to Arizona for nothing.

It seems like the Panthers only have one year to add a lot of salary though. In the next couple years they have a bunch of key players due for a raise.

amigo

Mar 20, 2021
All this BS with him stall all possible moves and improvements for this team, really dissapointing

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
After what they pulled yesterday with the Seth Jones trade/signing, Chicago is trying to win now.

They should have close to $17M in cap space after Seabrook and Shaw are LTIR'd. They're a serious dark horse for Landeskog.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad