Speculation: IF Landy doesn't sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Maybe he shouldn't sign? Better to play for a team where he is appreciated and prove the critics they were wrong? A bit like O'Reilly.

If Colorado management and a lot of fans don't respect him then it's time to move on. I don't want to see Landy being humiliated even more, hopefully he has pride and strength now to move on.

A lot of "experts" including Colorado management is indirectly putting the blame on Landy for the last seasons failures, this has to hurt.
The fans love Landy. Go outside these forums and you would see that. Hell most of us in here love him aswell. Love has a price though and that price is 7 million for me. If landy can get more im happy for him. He moves on. We move on. Business.

Rograf

Jul 12, 2014
I don't fault either side. Landoskog knows the Avs (like very other NHL team) would dump him in a second if they thought it would make them a 'better" team. Lando also knows his pro career is limited, likely to end in his 30's, so what he gets now probably will be his final deal. Sakic's job is to sign the best players he can for the lowest price they will take. Sakic also knows there will always be another player coming up through the ranks. Sakic has a lot of Pierre Lacroix in him, too, and anyone who thinks Joe really cares about any particular player is misguided. He went for his $20 million, remember? And he sure crapped on Steve Moore, too. But I do think Lando and Joe both are doing what they think best in the circumstances and I can't get upset at either one. As for those who want to say Lando has "enough" money, I have to laugh. I would bet you are one of those types who think anyone making more money than you is probably not paying their "fair share" in taxes.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Maybe he shouldn't sign? Better to play for a team where he is appreciated and prove the critics they were wrong? A bit like O'Reilly.

If Colorado management and a lot of fans don't respect him then it's time to move on. I don't want to see Landy being humiliated even more, hopefully he has pride and strength now to move on.

A lot of "experts" including Colorado management is indirectly putting the blame on Landy for the last seasons failures, this has to hurt.
Humiliated?

The only thing humiliating is when an expansion team with not a single dollar of cap space tied up gets to talk to the absolute perfect captain for free. The perfect player to market their team around. The potential face of the franchise. But when that said player gives his salary demands the team don’t even bother to talk to him anymore.

That humiliating

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Humiliated?

The only thing humiliating is when an expansion team with not a single dollar of cap space tied up gets to talk to the absolute perfect captain for free. The perfect player to market their team around. The potential face of the franchise. But when that said player gives his salary demands the team don’t even bother to talk to him anymore.

That humiliating

Landy wasn't the only one thinking Seattle would offer him 9-10 million...

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Lebrun on insider trading said a lot of teams expected Landeskog and Seattle to be a good match but at the end of the day Seattle never even gave him a contract offer and cited his known asking price as the reason why.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Lebrun on insider trading said a lot of teams expected Landeskog and Seattle to be a good match but at the end of the day Seattle never even gave him a contract offer and cited his known asking price as the reason why.
Maybe this was all part of the plan. All Landeskog had to do to make it legit that he was exposed so Sakic could get an extra protection slot was to talk with Seattle and quote a price that they obviously weren't going to agree to. After the ExD he signs in Colorado after "considering his options". It could work out nicely for Colorado.

Reactions: cinchronicity

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Maybe this was all part of the plan. All Landeskog had to do to make it legit that he was exposed so Sakic could get an extra protection slot was to talk with Seattle and quote a price that they obviously weren't going to agree to. After the ExD he signs in Colorado after "considering his options". It could work out nicely for Colorado.

We've all wondered whether a handshake agreement prior to the ED was possible. But with all the acrimony between both parties and Avs exploring other FA and trade options (rumors of Schwartz for example), I'd guess this is not a facade.

Peter Peckerwood

Aug 6, 2020
9764 Jeopardy Lane

Yeah, many of us have been saying that for days or more.
I assume if St. Louis or some other contender come at him with something that the Avs just cannot/should not match, he'll ride either way.

Peter Peckerwood

Aug 6, 2020
9764 Jeopardy Lane
We've all wondered whether a handshake agreement prior to the ED was possible. But with all the acrimony between both parties and Avs exploring other FA and trade options (rumors of Schwartz for example), I'd guess this is not a facade.

What acrimonious statements have come from Landy? All I'm aware of that can be directly attributed to him in about wishing a deal had been done months ago.
If you're trying to sell this protection slot "game", you'd damn sure have to make it legit as possible.

I am fully aware that things could be as they appear to be and that I may be being naive. Guess we shall soon see. I guess nothing would shock me at this point.

Does Landy's agent have a track record of negotiating via the media?

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
What acrimonious statements have come from Landy? All I'm aware of that can be directly attributed to him in about wishing a deal had been done months ago.
If you're trying to sell this protection slot "game", you'd damn sure have to make it legit as possible.

I am fully aware that things could be as they appear to be and that I may be being naive. Guess we shall soon see. I guess nothing would shock me at this point.

Does Landy's agent have a track record of negotiating via the media?

Wallen represents Swedish players, and he's not known to play the media card. Acrimony between the parties as in a big salary gulf and "hurt feelings"

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
$8M+ just isn’t going to work.

I still think the Avs should draw the line at 7 at 5 years, or 6.5 at 8 years. Maybe there can be reconciliation at those numbers.

As much as you sign a player for what they’ve done in the league, the contract is based off what you expect to see moving forward. If Landy was 24 coming off his current season, I have no doubt the Avs would give him his $8M X 8 year deal.

The Avs will miss Landeskog if he goes elsewhere no doubt, but I think they can replace some of that production. If you hunt for a second line quality player to play in his spot, how close can they get to Landeskog’s numbers? Probably not all the way there, but I think they’ll get close.

Go19

Jun 21, 2019
Will be telling as to what motivates Landeskog if he leaves for 10M+ to go to the Kraken - that team is a dog.

BobRossColton

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
Would Danton Heinen be a good pickup? Max Jones? Kempe? Bennett? Kuraly?
I also very much like the idea of debrusk,

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

The fact that Seattle never even offered him a contract because his asking price was "known" is just further evidence of Peter Wallen's tampering.

Everyone knows Landy's asking price because he told everyone.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Or, you know guys, Landy just doesn’t want to play for Seattle and their number would need to be the highest of any team.

It's probably among the highest, but how were they so confident in knowing his price if they never asked?

They wouldn't just not make an offer based on "rumored" prices from reporters. They would have to know.

Reactions: Thepoolmaster

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Or, you know guys, Landy just doesn’t want to play for Seattle and their number would need to be the highest of any team.
Seems crazy to me, other than the roster. Obviously he wants money, but if I were him, next to Colorado, Seattle and Vancouver are the next two best places to play in my book, when it comes to similar cities. Maybe Calgary...

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
It's probably among the highest, but how were they so confident in knowing his price if they never asked?

They wouldn't just not make an offer based on "rumored" prices from reporters. They would have to know.
All of the reports stated they had initial conversations with Landeskog's camp but were not going to go to that high of a number. There was 100% a conversation between Francis and Landeskog's agent. Probably wasn't very long, though.

"Hey, we're very interested in Gabe and think he'd be fantastic to build around as our first ever captain."

"Gabe is interested, too! But he believes he can get a contract north of 9M per season long term. How does 8x72 sound?"

"We're going to go in another direction. Thanks."

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
All of the reports stated they had initial conversations with Landeskog's camp but were not going to go to that high of a number. There was 100% a conversation between Francis and Landeskog's agent. Probably wasn't very long, though.

"Hey, we're very interested in Gabe and think he'd be fantastic to build around as our first ever captain."

"Gabe is interested, too! But he believes he can get a contract north of 9M per season long term. How does 8x72 sound?"

"We're going to go in another direction. Thanks."

This could be how it played out, but when Lebrun says they didn't come close to making an offer because they knew his asking price, that sounds to me like they knew it before they talked to him. I'm obviously just speculating though.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Would Danton Heinen be a good pickup? Max Jones? Kempe? Bennett? Kuraly?
I also very much like the idea of debrusk,
Kempe would be a nice add at a low caphit. He plays a fast style that would fit the Avs. I doubt LA would sell cheap though.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Best case scenario if Landy walks is if we get a sitdown between Sakic and Erik Johnson explaining the direction of the team saying fans should be excited.. similar to what Melnyk and Borowiecki did before the Karlsson trade
Best case scenario is that Johnson is no longer on the team. Shoring up the offence is much easier if we can shed his cap hit.

amigo

Mar 20, 2021
So Hall sign 4 years x $6 million, word is Hyman will take $5 millon on 7-8 year deal.
I guess anything more than 5 years x $6.5-7 is overpayment for Landy.
I guess he probably wants to leave this team, city or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille