If Kuch and McD both get 100 assists

Nemesis Prime

Jun 29, 2010
London, ON
One player hitting it is impressive, two not so much. Wouldn't be surprised to see a lot more 100 assist players in the following years, considering how many are already hitting 100+ points. Only a matter of time.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
I think this is a cause for celebration that 2 players might make the 100 assist mark in the same season for only the 2nd time in history, and getting the first 2 players outside of the big 3 to do it. It's exciting that McDavid will likely have the highest assist season of all players this side of Gretzky and Lemieux, and that Kucherov might become the first winger to reach 100 assists.

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
If Joe Thornton was in his prime now he pretty easily is a 100 assist guy I'd think. He had 92 and 96 assist seasons in dead puck eras. His 96 assist season he beat the 2nd guy in assists by 25. Mcdavid is beating kuch by just 6 and McKinnon by just 16.

I think it kinda devalues it.
This. And it doesn't mean Kucherov (since everyone is licking McDavid's socks these days) isn't "good enough" for the elite legend group, it certainly does bring a stat down when two guys do it in the same season after it being over 30 without happening, because it typically denotes an upswing that matches previous seasons.

Looking at a lot of higher scoring games this season it's certainly twice if not more prolific than what I remember (yes conjecture to a degree) in the 00s.

To me the ice just looks way more open but the speed of the game has gone up as well.

And even so despite all of this, how damn awesome is Bobby Orr to stand out in all of this? GOAT.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
One player hitting it is impressive, two not so much. Wouldn't be surprised to see a lot more 100 assist players in the following years, considering how many are already hitting 100+ points. Only a matter of time.
I don't think so. Even with scoring up, 100 assists is just A LOT. MacKinnon is an all time great having what might be his career season, and he's likely to finish below 90. After that there's a big drop off. Nobody's arguing that scoring is up, but even with that being true, these are probably the only 3 guys in the league capable. Keep in mind the 80s were a lot higher scoring than even this, and only two guys pulled it off.

I think someday McDavid will be more/less unanimously accepted as a Gretzky-tier player, probably 4th or 5th best of all time. Kucherov will be somewhere around Jagr's level. So it's still only going to be very, very rare players who can achieve it. I doubt we will see many players on Kucherov's level do it -- he is a little more rare because his instinct is SO based in playmaking.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I think its more interesting Kucherov could be the first winger to do it than McDavid getting there. Wingers dont usually drive offense over centers. And Kucherov is playing with lesser talent than McDavid.

Point and Hedman are lesser talent than what McDavid plays with? Barely.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
Kucherov getting 100 assists would be like this all over again: View attachment 847757
Ha even as a Bolts fan I found this humorous. Though Kuch would at least have earned his way into this picture, as it would be based off of an actual accomplishment as oppose to media hype. And while neither Kuch nor Toews are close to the big 3 or even Crosby/McDavid, Kuch is still well ahead of Toews.

Reactions: Summer Rose

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
I don't think so. Even with scoring up, 100 assists is just A LOT. MacKinnon is an all time great having what might be his career season, and he's likely to finish below 90. After that there's a big drop off. Nobody's arguing that scoring is up, but even with that being true, these are probably the only 3 guys in the league capable. Keep in mind the 80s were a lot higher scoring than even this, and only two guys pulled it off.

I think someday McDavid will be more/less unanimously accepted as a Gretzky-tier player, probably 4th or 5th best of all time. Kucherov will be somewhere around Jagr's level. So it's still only going to be very, very rare players who can achieve it. I doubt we will see many players on Kucherov's level do it -- he is a little more rare because his instinct is SO based in playmaking.
I'll vote less. A lot less.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'll vote less. A lot less.
That's fine, but in a regular year (when he doesn't battle injury) he's so far above his peers that I think you'll be in the minority. McDavid is an incredibly special player and it's getting harder and harder to deny that he's one of the very best of all time.

Reactions: WalterLundy

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
it does devalue it somewhat of course when something is done more it is less impressive but it's still an amazing achievement because of how rare it is. If someone does it again next season though it will definitely start to diminish it's value similar to how 50 and 60 goals is not as impressive as it was 5 years ago,. For now just enjoy that anyone is going to get 100 assists in a season because it looked like it would never be done again.

Last edited:
Reactions: HolyHagelin

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
You know he's going to break 1pp assists too just because it'll piss people off.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
It doesn't devalue the accomplishment because 3rd place is so far behind with 83 then you have a huge dip again to 70. It's not like there's a whole bunch of guys in range of 100 assists.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
It doesn't devalue the accomplishment because 3rd place is so far behind with 83 then you have a huge dip again to 70. It's not like there's a whole bunch of guys in range of 100 assists.

No kidding. Even last year, only Kucherov and McDavid were in the 80's, 2 other players in the 70's and then usual mass group in the 60's for assists.

Guys are talking like normal players are reaching these plateaus. Kucherov is about to put up the 2nd highest scoring season ever by a European after Jagr. He already holds the 1st and 2nd highest scoring seasons by a Russian.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

If he isn't already, he won't be down the road.

Reactions: gretzkyoilers

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Players with 100 assist seasons:

Wayne Gretzky
Mario Lemieux
Bobby Orr

That’s it. That’s the list.

How on earth can it “be diminished” if two players hit it this year…

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Dude, are you serious?

There was a guy scoring 200 points a year and still no one not named Gretzky, Orr or Lemieux ever did it.

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
How about celebrating and being happy with something rare happening in the NHL for once? Why is there always a bunch of people trying to find ways to devalue feats accomplished by players of the current era?

We're having an awesome season and hockey is exciting. Rejoice!
OP was not to denigrate or lessen anyone but to see how people think about it, and hopefully learn some interesting things

Slapshot Sultan

Oct 5, 2017
Of course it's a bit less impressive the more people hit it. Right now it's been done by 3 players. It's more impressive that only 3 people have done it, rather than soon to be 4 or 5.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
It doesn't devalue the achievement. It further calls into question whether McDavid is really ahead of his peers right now
Other than a couple seasons he was never that far ahead to begin with. Injuries aside Kucherov has been competitive with McDavid most seasons since reaching his prime.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Doesn't devalue it whatsover. Being the 14th and 15th time in the league's 100+ history, and only players 4 & 5 to accomplish such a feat, means we should be in awe of what we are witnessing in terms of league history this season.

Between those two hitting 100 assists, Matthews possibly hitting 70 goals, and the season MacKinnon has had, if anything, it'll prove just how amazing this season was, and likely the best one in three decades.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Yes, it will devalue it if Kucherov hits 100 assists too. Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr and Mcdavid is special! Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr, McDavid and Kucherov is not...
Personally I’d say the inclusion of the sole non-champion in that group is the one that devalues it, not that of the player whose postseason performances already solidified himself in a group with only Gretzky and Lemieux as its other members.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad