If Calgary Flames Lose, Major Changes Incoming?

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
They already made major changes last summer and were better for it. They need to be patient and see if this core can establish themselves on a higher plateau.

It's just not working at all. The team isn't balanced. I think Tre knows it too. That's why we stood pat at the deadline. There wasn't a deal to be made so he kept the assets which I appreciate. Don't get me wrong. I believe in Treliving. I think they need changes though in my estimation.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Weren't some Avs players quoted as saying they would win the series before game 1 started?

53or8

Nov 20, 2016
He never tried to get MacKinnon, at the draft, he made some proposals to the Avs but they were all rejected.

I think he went after Ryan O'Reilly and there was some **** up.
Yeah thats who it was felt like it was MacKinnon

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
the flames didn't have a top 5 pick in their history before bennett. they never tank hard enough to get top 2 picks like mackinnon, barkov, or eichel, and their worst finishes were before they implemented the oilers rule for lottery odds. they were 3 points ahead of colorado the year of the mackinnon draft. imagine if steve begin didn't pick that random game to score 2 goals.

anyway, i don't think a rebuild is really the answer when you just need 1 piece. high level centres move around sometimes (o'reilly, seguin, zibanejad, duchene) and monahan's still got to have cachet around the league. just gotta be opportunistic when the chance comes and not be too sentimental about monahan

If Johnny were with players like a John LeClair and Eric Lindros they'd score a million goals. That'd be the ideal situation. A big, skilled #1 C and a big winger on the other side who will go into the corners and can shoot. Johnny would just dance around and set those two up endlessly. Sounds like a pipe dream, but damn, just a true #1 C and a large off-wing scorer. It'd be sick.

aisle18

Jul 5, 2009
These playoffs are a breath of fresh air. I love seeing the midget figure skaters disappear once it turns back to a big boys game. Marner has been the only small skill player who has been able to adapt. Much respect to him.
Barzal has 5 points and has handled himself well.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Flames don't need an elite #1C, they just need one that will grind it out in the corners and step up in the playoffs. If the Jets are out this first round I could see a possible Scheifele for Monahan one for one swap.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
They traded Turris, thus not really improving their depth.

But I guess that's neither here nor there. I just think trading away Monahan for parts to just sign Duchene probably wouldnt move the needle one way or the other, because the center depth was unchanged
Ohhh you meant the Turris trade. I actually think it wasnt a bad idea by the Sens since i feel Duchanes an upgrade on Turris. The first was a bit too much and i dont think they expected to finish last lol.

MarAlain MongYeo

GostisBeHere Now
Oct 22, 2016
Ohhh you meant the Turris trade. I actually think it wasnt a bad idea by the Sens since i feel Duchanes an upgrade on Turris. The first was a bit too much and i dont think they expected to finish last lol.

It would have made more sense for the Sens to unload prospects and picks for Duchene, giving them a 1-2 of Duchene and Turris down the middle. But they tried to play it half way and it came back to bite them, even if they lucked out by losing the lottery

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
It would have made more sense for the Sens to unload prospects and picks for Duchene, giving them a 1-2 of Duchene and Turris down the middle. But they tried to play it half way and it came back to bite them, even if they lucked out by losing the lottery
Im guessing Turris was not going to re-sign which is why they were forced to look at options.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Patrick Kane never had a problem in the playoffs. I love big, tough players as much as anyone, but the small skilled guys are fun to watch too. Some of them do disappear when the going gets tough though. The playoffs separate the men from the boys.

yeah well P Kane is a generational playoff performer

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
We have not had a proper #1 centre for decades and our playoff record reflects that. I would put Monahan on the block and try my best to sign Duchane if he hits Free agency or try anything for a proper #1c or at least an upgrade on Monahan. I think thats the only thing preventing us from being successful.
why, oh why can NOBODY spell Duchene's name right on this site? Although Duchane is a new one, usually I see Duchesne or Duchense or something like that.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
You can play tough (which the Stanley Cup playoffs require for success) and not get anywhere near a fight.

Watch undersized players like Aho and Marner in these playoffs, battling, willing to take a hit to make a play.

And mind you, there are also big players who turn into passengers comevthe post season as well. It’s something you have to have inside of you. To this point, Johnny G hasn’t demonstrated that he has that in him.
isn't Marner listed at 6'0''?

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Flames don't need an elite #1C, they just need one that will grind it out in the corners and step up in the playoffs. If the Jets are out this first round I could see a possible Scheifele for Monahan one for one swap.
I highly doubt the Jets would ever consider that 1 for 1.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
There is a zero percent chance that Winnipeg would do this. Scheifele is an elite #1C. Monahan is not.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Monahan and Gaudreau have both been awful. Giordano has slowed down a lot, and Brodie definitely doesn't look good. Hanifin has been dumb for some reason, and Hamonic cannot prevent a zone entry to save his life. Lindholm's offense has dried up. Yet despite all of this, if you've actually watched the games, you'll realize Neal and Jankowski individually are responsible for the Flames awful metrics and goals against than any other player. Neal and Jankowski cannot play another game in this series.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I don't even think the Flames necessarily need a game changing 1C, they just need a 1C, and a 1C that is faster and smarter than Monahan. That alone would make things much better at least in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad