If Calgary Flames Lose, Major Changes Incoming?

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
What I said before start of the season in a most overrated player thread:

Most overrated player in the NHL (Part Two)

"Johnny Gaudreau.

Solid player in the offensive zone and without a doubt produces but he's terrible in his own end, and makes a lot of stupid/costly decisions with the puck that end up negating a lot of the good things he does. He's not physical, loses puck battles, struggles to be in position, and rarely blocks shots. To make this less of a subjective opinion, he had the most giveaways by ANY forward last season, 18 blocked shots, and despite being such a big time point producer and the defacto offensive leader on that team failed to win a playoff game in the last 3 seasons, and has won 1 round in his career. He's not the kind of player you build around to win."

When you couple in the fact that he's talked about Philadelphia and playing for the home team, and that you'll only have 3 years left, AND that he's coming off such an offensively charged regular season, it's the perfect time to deal him. His value will never be higher than it is this summer. If the Flames lose this series, and I was in charge I'd trade Gaudreau for a gigantic package. You could probably get a ton for him.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010

"Johnny Gaudreau.

Solid player in the offensive zone and without a doubt produces but he's terrible in his own end, and makes a lot of stupid/costly decisions with the puck that end up negating a lot of the good things he does. He's not physical, loses puck battles, struggles to be in position, and rarely blocks shots. To make this less of a subjective opinion, he had the most giveaways by ANY forward last season, 18 blocked shots, and despite being such a big time point producer and the defacto offensive leader on that team failed to win a playoff game in the last 3 seasons, and has won 1 round in his career. He's not the kind of player you build around to win."

When you couple in the fact that he's talked about Philadelphia and playing for the home team, and that you'll only have 3 years left, AND that he's coming off such an offensively charged regular season, it's the perfect time to deal him. His value will never be higher than it is this summer. If the Flames lose this series, and I was in charge I'd trade Gaudreau for a gigantic package. You could probably get a ton for him.

Yeah he's like 5 feet tall. What do you want him to do? Fight Chara?

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Yeah he's like 5 feet tall. What do you want him to do? Fight Chara?
You can play tough (which the Stanley Cup playoffs require for success) and not get anywhere near a fight.

Watch undersized players like Aho and Marner in these playoffs, battling, willing to take a hit to make a play.

And mind you, there are also big players who turn into passengers comevthe post season as well. It’s something you have to have inside of you. To this point, Johnny G hasn’t demonstrated that he has that in him.

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto

"Johnny Gaudreau.

I'd say pretty accurate description of Gaudreau. There is no reason he can't be a good defensive player as he has the smarts... very frustrating to watch.

@WhiskeyYourTheDevils

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
You can play tough (which the Stanley Cup playoffs require for success) and get anywhere near a fight.

Watch undersized players like Aho and Marner in these playoffs, battling, willing to take a hit to make a play.

And mind you, there are also big players who turn into passengers comevthe post season as well. It’s something you have to have inside of you. To this point, Johnny G hasn’t demonstrated that he has that in him.

Johnny has been more physical than 6'2 Monahan.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
I don't think they'd change much. Take a few cracks at it first. Constant significant change isn't the road i would take.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Depends on some contract situations, I think the Flames need to keep trying with their current core. You probably only have a few good years left of Giordano, and he's the straw that stirs the drink so when he's done that's when you retool.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
The Monahan haters and Gaudreau love affair posters will come in flocks, but Gaudreau has been 10x worse this and the last 2 playoff series than Monahan has.

Come playoff time Gaudreau is one of the least effective players in the league. He doesn't have the 'it' factor that Patrick Kane has or the no fear attitude of a guy like Paul Byron.

I think Tre gives this core 1 more year, if we get similar results next year then Gaudreau is done as a Flame.

How many open net one timers has Monahan fanned on? I can recall at least 2 setup from Gaudreau.

Gaudreau has struggled, Monahan has been completely useless.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Definitely Bednar deserves a lot of credit, as do in particular the Johnson-Cole pairing, but I just don't buy that Gaudreau can't thrive in tight checking games. He can and he does all the time. With the occasional exception almost every game in the NHL is tight checking, these are the best hockey players in the world. You don't put up 99 points in a season just because the other teams weren't playing hard enough, that's a ridiculous notion.

I haven't seen the usual willingness to make plays from Johnny this series. Too many button hooks at the blueline, drop passes that go no where, forced passes through three sticks, turnovers along the boards. Not enough net drive and next to no presence in the center of the ice. His linemates have been just as bad or worse, but Johnny is an emotional leader and catalyst for the Flames, he needs to be better. Hope they split him and Monahan up Friday, been overdue for a while. Constantly deferring to each other to make a play is simply not working, and makes you really easy to defend against.
Tight checking games are one thing, but the obsessive way Colorado has smothered him goes even beyond that. But still he has to find a way to persevere - I agree that he's got the ability to push harder, he's gotta calm down a bit and just play his game.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Not sure Calgary can get it done with Johnny. He's just not big enough and I love the Flames. Mack really showed us thus far what a real #1 can be. Johnny is a complimentary player and a damn good one, but without a real C I just don't have high hopes it will happen. I wish Peters would just blend the lines and let Backlund centre Johnny. Stick Tkachuk on the other wing. Money needs to be pushed down. He is frankly slow and doesn't really fit with what they are trying to achieve as an up tempo team.

Reactions: Devonator and Sk8M8

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
no if Calgary loses, minor changes come! they are already a contender so there's no reason to start all over.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
These playoffs are a breath of fresh air. I love seeing the midget figure skaters disappear once it turns back to a big boys game. Marner has been the only small skill player who has been able to adapt. Much respect to him.

I HATE it.

I'm tired of this big boy BS where you have to be big to win anything. Not everyone can be built like Chara or like a big goon to win

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Run it back, minus Brodie trade probably.

if they fail next year to make the playoffs/not make a round, one of the stars will be traded

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
I don’t think Calgary needs to do anything (that they can do). I believe they’re lacking a true 1C. Monahan is still young tho. It’s possible he takes this and grows from it.

They’re too good to get another 1C option.

They’re just where the Avs were last year. Promising young team. Little playoff experience. Playing a team with a hot goalie that’s firing on all cylinders.

Yeah it’s an 8 v 1 matchup. But the Avs were arguably the best team in the league the first two months of the season. They can beat anyone any given night. This wouldn’t be a bad loss no matter how unexpected it was for Calgary Flames fans. In December there wasn’t a team in the league that wanted to play Colorado. And this Avs team is playing better than they were then.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
How many open net one timers has Monahan fanned on? I can recall at least 2 setup from Gaudreau.

Gaudreau has struggled, Monahan has been completely useless.

Clips? (proof)

There has been 0 good set ups from Gaudreau this series.

Gaudreau turns it over 3 times a shift = being more useful than Monahan who actually makes some defensive plays.

Reactions: Beyonder91

Apr 9, 2009
USA
He's not getting the easy calls he's used to in the regular season. You could see him screaming at the ref last night and smashing his stick as he went to the bench, he's not ready for playoffs.

To be fair, the officials call the game differently in the playoffs. I think it's a pretty significant problem and I understand why he's mad.

Not an excuse, but I get it.

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
To be fair, the officials call the game differently in the playoffs. I think it's a pretty significant problem and I understand why he's mad.

Not an excuse, but I get it.

But the Avalanche haven't had a problem with it. Calgary had a PP in both overtimes and didn't score.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00