If Calgary Flames Lose, Major Changes Incoming?

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
They'll tinker this year and try again next year.. If they fail maybe two more times I see them blowing it up around the time Johnny's contract is up, so 3 seasons after this one I think? They'll need to hit a home run or two in UFA and have players keep developing to turn into a true SC contender.. Still a young team, but they'll need a lot to go right over the next few seasons to really take the next step. They do have a good young D core, as Vali and Rasmus look really good

It's a really crappy place to be in as a fan, as I didn't have faith in Johnny leading us before and certainly don't now, but I'm a glutton for mental punishment and keep watching.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I swear the most irritating thing about Johnny is he shoots from the goal line all the time and scores 1 in 1000.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
These playoffs are a breath of fresh air. I love seeing the midget figure skaters disappear once it turns back to a big boys game. Marner has been the only small skill player who has been able to adapt. Much respect to him.

Yikes.

The Flames are a young team that still haven't figured out "how to win." They need to have their realization moment like the Gretzky-led Oilers did.

Reactions: Real Gudbranson

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
They're going to end up trading Gaudreau only to find Monahan is a 55 point player without him, who isn't good at transitioning the puck and can't play defence.

Gaudreau will be the next Kessell and help a contending team with a Center who plays like he's playing center.

53or8

Nov 20, 2016
We have not had a proper #1 centre for decades and our playoff record reflects that. I would put Monahan on the block and try my best to sign Duchane if he hits Free agency or try anything for a proper #1c or at least an upgrade on Monahan. I think thats the only thing preventing us from being successful.
Wasnt feaster laughed out of town when he tried to get MacKinnon

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Clips? (proof)

There has been 0 good set ups from Gaudreau this series.

Gaudreau turns it over 3 times a shift = being more useful than Monahan who actually makes some defensive plays.
I don't have clips of Monahan fanning on shots, not something easily available - they happened in game 1&2 I believe.

Gaudreau has made plenty of good defensive plays - Ray Ferraro even did a segment on it. But he's also been trying to force plays when he's getting double teamed, often times because he's got no support.

The reality is that the Flames don't have a 1C - with Monahan, Gaudreau is forced to do way more than he should be, which leads to giveaways and frustration.

It's the same reason why McDavid could be shut down against Anaheim - he had no support on his line so the Ducks were able to harass him all series.

Reactions: Sk8M8

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I don't have clips of Monahan fanning on shots, not something easily available - they happened in game 1&2 I believe.

Gaudreau has made plenty of good defensive plays - Ray Ferraro even did a segment on it. But he's also been trying to force plays when he's getting double teamed, often times because he's got no support.

The reality is that the Flames don't have a 1C - with Monahan, Gaudreau is forced to do way more than he should be, which leads to giveaways and frustration.

It's the same reason why McDavid could be shut down against Anaheim - he had no support on his line so the Ducks were able to harass him all series.

Or maybe Gaudreau has and continues to be a puck hog and tries to do everything himself.

It's funny reading comments about Gaudreau like he is a God and without Monahan he'd be ever better. Away from Monahan his stats are terrible. Away from Gaudreau Monahan actually has a better point per game average (outside his rookie year).

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Ok, the guy who makes more passes than pretty much any other forward is a puck hog. That makes sense.

There's a difference between passing consistently and not playing with the puck like Monahan and trying to do everything yourself and end up skating into 3 guys and make a pass (turn over) like Gaudreau.

Reactions: Beyonder91

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Or maybe Gaudreau has and continues to be a puck hog and tries to do everything himself.

It's funny reading comments about Gaudreau like he is a God and without Monahan he'd be ever better. Away from Monahan his stats are terrible. Away from Gaudreau Monahan actually has a better point per game average (outside his rookie year).
Not a f***ing chance he doesn't he was like a 50 point player before they got put together in his sophomore season and hasn't produced under that since they've been put together. The only time I remember them breaking up was when Monahan played with Versteeg and Brouwer for like 3 games.

Monahan struggles with carrying the puck which is a near fatal flaw as a center. I'm fine with trading them both but there should be absolutely no discussion as to who the better player is.

Reactions: goku420

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
I always thought it was a mistake to build a forward core around a small skilled hockey player. He’s a fantastic player but in the playoffs he won’t last or be AS effective as he will during the regular season. Slash and rough him. Take a few minor penalties but make him completely useless for his team.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
There's a difference between passing consistently and not playing with the puck like Monahan and trying to do everything yourself and end up skating into 3 guys and make a pass (turn over) like Gaudreau.

When you've got one guy in front of you and two more chasing behind, there's not much you can do, especially when you've got to wait for your center to catch up. You can either give the puck away via dump in (with no forecheck) or attempt to hang on to it and make a play.

Gaudreau is trying to make plays, especially when they've been trailing. If he had a C who could keep up he wouldn't have to find ways to hold on to the puck so long.

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto

Are you sure? All I've heard @WhiskeyYourTheDevils say is how Monahan has put up 3rd line numbers when not playing with Gaudreau...

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
The Flames really should have tried to sign ROR when he was available as a UFA. ROR would make Gaudreau that much better and he would elevate his game. ROR is 100 times the player that Monahan is and he's not that much more.

But right now, if I was Treliving I would line up for Duchene this summer, he is the best #1 centre on the market this summer and you don't have to give up anything for him.

Reactions: goku420

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
Johnny Hockey and Doughty’s bff have been very quiet. Not going to win a series if your top guys go missing. Stamkos, Kucherov, Crosby, and Malkin... all no shows and plenty of golfing in the summer.

Also Johnny needs to get some meat on his bones, I know it’s a speed game but he is always on his butt.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
No one who knows the game saw Calgary advancing. I've said it multiple times this year. For one, their goaltending is near the bottom of all playoff teams Additionally, their core doesn't show up in the playoffs. Last series they got swept, and now they might only win 1 game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad