If Calgary Flames Lose, Major Changes Incoming?

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
Gaudreau has not been good and he's trying to do too much.

The problem is much deeper though as Monahan has been awful and Lindholm has been bad as well. He can't do it all himself, and the Avs are focusing on shutting Johnny down because the other 2 have simply not been threats.

All 100lbs of Gaudreau has more hits this series than 205lbs Monahan and a few others. I don't think he's been good but he is not the problem. Put backlund or even derek ryan at center for him and I think things would open up for him.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
they need to play JG with players who can keep up with him skating wise, you know why hes doing those button hooks all the time 1v4? its because monahan and lindholm takes forever to join him on the rush. I give lindholm a bigger pass because hes tasked with the biggest responsibility on his line, and hes still a good skater. but monahan's skating has been exposed this series because it takes him like 4/5 seconds to hit the zone after JG hits it

Exactly this. Did you read this from our board? Cuz I said the exact same thing.

He's being shadowed and then double-teamed constantly. So then when he does his job, obtains the blue line and it's a 1 on 2 or 3 and no one's even with him and/or certainly aren't open, there's nothing much else for him to do. I can tell he's discouraged because of it.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
They already made major changes last summer and were better for it. They need to be patient and see if this core can establish themselves on a higher plateau.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
The Monahan haters and Gaudreau love affair posters will come in flocks, but Gaudreau has been 10x worse this and the last 2 playoff series than Monahan has.

Come playoff time Gaudreau is one of the least effective players in the league. He doesn't have the 'it' factor that Patrick Kane has or the no fear attitude of a guy like Paul Byron.

I think Tre gives this core 1 more year, if we get similar results next year then Gaudreau is done as a Flame.

This is absolutely not true.

Did you watch the playoffs in 2015? Gaudreau was one of our best if not our best player. Monahan was nowhere to be seen, particularly in the 2nd round.

Johnny's had 4 years of playing with Monahan who every year disappears for a third of the season and doesn't show up at all in the playoffs.

Monahan isn't a number 1 C. He hasn't showed up since January.

Reactions: goku420

Ambisextrous

Apr 17, 2012
Halifax
Think the best move would just be going hard for Duchene. He can create space, and I think would mesh well with Gaudreau. Neal was a horrible contract but will be one tough to trade and probably not worth the price this offseason. Dont think Peters is the coach for them but he'll be around for another year, he better mix up his playstyles though

MarAlain MongYeo

GostisBeHere Now
Oct 22, 2016
We have not had a proper #1 centre for decades and our playoff record reflects that. I would put Monahan on the block and try my best to sign Duchane if he hits Free agency or try anything for a proper #1c or at least an upgrade on Monahan. I think thats the only thing preventing us from being successful.

I think the last team that traded away their underwhelming #1C for Matt Duchene in the hopes it would give them a "bonafide #1C" has regretted that decision immensely

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Monahan was rated by SN as not even a top 20 Centre before the season began.

He,'s owned first unit PP time, ice time with Johnny on the first unit and got like how many goals in the last 30 games of the season? Guy is a bottom 5 first line C at best, a 2nd line C on any playoff team. But my biggest knock is he takes off a third of the season every year.

IMO Johnny is discouraged and is getting double-teamed a lot. Too, he's likely been worn down over the season as he looks like he lost weight if that were possible. My biggest problem with Johnny is he whines too much and should just get pissed off and play harder. He does make some bad passes but he's also always setting shit up too so it's just part of the package.

Reactions: Devonator

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Johnny Hockey and Doughty’s bff have been very quiet. Not going to win a series if your top guys go missing. Stamkos, Kucherov, Crosby, and Malkin... all no shows and plenty of golfing in the summer.

Also Johnny needs to get some meat on his bones, I know it’s a speed game but he is always on his butt.

Again, another thing I've been saying. Get Johnny a nutritionist for the off-season and for the season itself. The guy would be a top five player in the league if he had another 10 lbs of muscle. He's just so damn light. Other short players in this league before him like Dionne and Fleury were round rubber balls. Johnny is just so light and skinny.

Reactions: Devonator

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Wasnt feaster laughed out of town when he tried to get MacKinnon

He never tried to get MacKinnon, at the draft, he made some proposals to the Avs but they were all rejected.

I think he went after Ryan O'Reilly and there was some f*** up.

MarAlain MongYeo

GostisBeHere Now
Oct 22, 2016
The Sens? Or the Avs?

The Sens.

Duchene is an upgrade over Monahan, but it doesnt really make sense to get rid of Monahan for Duchene, because it doesnt improve your 1C situation all that much and doesnt do much for depth, unless the return for Monahan is overwhelming

perronist

Dec 8, 2008
they just need an upgrade on monahan. get older if they must, i don't care. the need for a top level play-driving centre to recover and carry pucks and open up space for gaudreau is so glaring

Reactions: Sk8M8

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
The Flames desperately need that elite #1 center that can take over games, some one like MacKinnon, Barkov or Eichel but we are not going to get that type of player because they are not available.

The Flames need to rebuild the rebuild to get that elite #1 center but they can't because the ownership will not agree to it because they want a new dam arena and those f***ers are not going to get it if the team is not winning(even if it is in the regular season.) Easier to get get it, if the team is winning.

f*** I am so pissed right now.

Reactions: Sk8M8

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
The Sens.

Duchene is an upgrade over Monahan, but it doesnt really make sense to get rid of Monahan for Duchene, because it doesnt improve your 1C situation all that much and doesnt do much for depth, unless the return for Monahan is overwhelming
Well i disagree because the Sens traded for picks not any other centre to upgrade. I think Duchane would be a significant enough upgrade on Monahan for it to be worth it.

perronist

Dec 8, 2008
The Flames desperately need that elite #1 center that can take over games, some one like MacKinnon, Barkov or Eichel but we are not going to get that type of player because they are not available.

The Flames need to rebuild the rebuild to get that elite #1 center but they can't because the ownership will not agree to it because they want a new dam arena and those ****ers are not going to get it if the team is not winning(even if it is in the regular season.) Easier to get get it, if the team is winning.

**** I am so pissed right now.

the flames didn't have a top 5 pick in their history before bennett. they never tank hard enough to get top 2 picks like mackinnon, barkov, or eichel, and their worst finishes were before they implemented the oilers rule for lottery odds. they were 3 points ahead of colorado the year of the mackinnon draft. imagine if steve begin didn't pick that random game to score 2 goals.

anyway, i don't think a rebuild is really the answer when you just need 1 piece. high level centres move around sometimes (o'reilly, seguin, zibanejad, duchene) and monahan's still got to have cachet around the league. just gotta be opportunistic when the chance comes and not be too sentimental about monahan

MarAlain MongYeo

GostisBeHere Now
Oct 22, 2016
Well i disagree because the Sens traded for picks not any other centre to upgrade. I think Duchane would be a significant enough upgrade on Monahan for it to be worth it.

They traded Turris, thus not really improving their depth.

But I guess that's neither here nor there. I just think trading away Monahan for parts to just sign Duchene probably wouldnt move the needle one way or the other, because the center depth was unchanged

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Or maybe Gaudreau has and continues to be a puck hog and tries to do everything himself.

It's funny reading comments about Gaudreau like he is a God and without Monahan he'd be ever better. Away from Monahan his stats are terrible. Away from Gaudreau Monahan actually has a better point per game average (outside his rookie year).

You’re reaching here brother......

.....not the hill you want to die on.

Everyone is frustrated, but let’s take a deep breath here. Monahan is not a better player than Johnny. It’s not even close really.

Reactions: Dack

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
No one even expected them to do as well as they did. Everyone were calling them (and Wild) the most average/mediocre team. Which is was true until their GM made those trades that put them on another level.

Their goaltending kind of let them down. That would be the only change they should make.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad