Speculation: If Boyle is out "a while", who might get called up?

SpaceCoastShark

Look what the cat dragged in
Apr 8, 2009
Space Coast, FL
A team spokesman told the San Jose Mercury News that Boyle was set to be released Wednesday morning and fly to San Jose with a staff member, although he might rejoin the Sharks in Dallas, where they play Thursday night.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
The problem is Burns seems to love being a forward. He looks far happier and more enthused for the game as a forward. I doubt he ever goes back simply because he doesn't want to. What's done is done, he's a forward, we will have to wait and see if that was a mistake or not. If he only gets 50 points this year, I think long term it will have been a mistake. Also depends if Wilson can find a replacement.

Stuart looked great the beginning of last year, was moving the puck well and his skating seemed pretty good, then he deteriorated. Don't know what the issue with him is.

I agree 100%. He seems, for lack of a better word, just overjoyed to be out there. I love how the coaches are handling him; just letting him run free like a wild horse, not over-coaching him. It would be very easy to over-coach a guy like Burns, but he's far better just being allowed to do his own thing. If a team wants to slow him down, it's like they have to focus in entirely on him, because he doesn't play a system.

Also, I wouldn't underestimate the effect Burns (and Hertl) are having on Joe. I like having those two play with Joe and Couture playing with Patty, just because I feel like it sort of reminds them how much fun hockey is and how lucky they are to be doing what they do, and also just dials up the enthusiasm. It's a really good mix of chemicals right now.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I agree 100%. He seems, for lack of a better word, just overjoyed to be out there. I love how the coaches are handling him; just letting him run free like a wild horse, not over-coaching him. It would be very easy to over-coach a guy like Burns, but he's far better just being allowed to do his own thing. If a team wants to slow him down, it's like they have to focus in entirely on him, because he doesn't play a system.

Also, I wouldn't underestimate the effect Burns (and Hertl) are having on Joe. I like having those two play with Joe and Couture playing with Patty, just because I feel like it sort of reminds them how much fun hockey is and how lucky they are to be doing what they do, and also just dials up the enthusiasm. It's a really good mix of chemicals right now.

After the trade deadline you could see the fun and enthusiasm return...I'm beginning to wonder if Zus and Clowe were sour apples in the room or just no longer a fit.

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
who knows what the dynamic is in the locker room, but I think adding Burns and Hertl have been huge in that they definitely bring a positive attitude that is compatible with the whole "playing free" theme that TMac always refers to

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
After the trade deadline you could see the fun and enthusiasm return...I'm beginning to wonder if Zus and Clowe were sour apples in the room or just no longer a fit.

I would say they were more of the latter - misfits with TMac's system. I'm glad they are gone - though I'm sure it was hard to see Clowe leave from a locker room perspective.

It's so refreshing to see the Sharks play free and fast. It'll be interesting to see how teams adjust (they will eventually) and how the Sharks handle that. This reminds me of TMac's first season and by the 2/3rds mark of that season, the Sharks were figured out and never then countered. Yes, injuries hurt but all teams have injuries.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I thought you could not fly with a concussion ?

It may be the Sharks are chartering a flight and won't go too high so won't have to pressurize the plane as much as a commerical flight (@35k).

I do see the Sharks calling up someone. Just too much could happen with only 6 healthy D on roster.

Havlat can go on IR (he's been out a week already).

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Kevin Kurz @KKurzCSN
#SJSharks get Stuart back (again) tomorrow. He'll play in Boyle's place with Irwin vs. #Stars

No surprise at all.

Jul 10, 2010
Burns has been very effective at forward, if he puts up 40 points, ill be very happy. His presence alone on that line make it a very hard line to contain. The size and skill and speed make it IMO the hardest line to contain in the offensive zone in the league. I cant see the coaches putting him back on D. Mainly because he has to readjust to D, then RE RE adjust to RW when Boyles back. Just isnt happening.

Most likely Petrecki gets called up and sees minimal action

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Really two ways this goes down:

1) Tennyson comes up because he's the best skill/fit replacement if they feel that they need to put more offence back into the d corps (obviously starting by just inserting Stuart now, but who knows how long this setup lasts)

2) Petrecki comes up because the team feels better about him being parked in the press box and not playing than they would with Tennyson.

Then we get one of:

Stuart - Irwin
Vlasic - Bruan
Demers - Hannan

or

Vlasic - Braun
Stuart - Tennyson
Demers - Irwin/Hannan

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Burns has been very effective at forward, if he puts up 40 points, ill be very happy. His presence alone on that line make it a very hard line to contain. The size and skill and speed make it IMO the hardest line to contain in the offensive zone in the league. I cant see the coaches putting him back on D. Mainly because he has to readjust to D, then RE RE adjust to RW when Boyles back. Just isnt happening.

Most likely Petrecki gets called up and sees minimal action

A) 40 points would be terrible. He can put up 40 points as a defensemen, and those points are FAR more valuable from a defensemen. He really needs to put up 60 points before his conversion becomes profitable to the team.

B) Petrecki is no kind of replacement for Boyle. They need Tennysson, Albetshauser or Acolotse.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
A)
B) Petrecki is no kind of replacement for Boyle. They need Tennysson, Albetshauser or Acolotse.

I don't think (left side d-man) Abeltshauser is even on the Sharks radar as a call up right now. He's nowhere near NHL ready.

If Petrecki is called up it wouldn't be as a replacement for Boyle, it would likely be as a 7th d-man.

If they want to try to replace some of what Boyle brings on the ice, Tennyson seems like the most logical call up.

Acolatse is nursing an injury.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
A) 40 points would be terrible. He can put up 40 points as a defensemen, and those points are FAR more valuable from a defensemen. He really needs to put up 60 points before his conversion becomes profitable to the team.

In 2011-2012

JT 18/59 77
LC 31/34 65
PM 30/35 64
JP 3130 61

13th in the league in scoring with 219 and 273 for Pit at #1. Amazingly LA was at 29th with 188 and won the Cup.

Adding Hertl and Burns into the equation you're asking for an insane amount of scoring and that's not including Havlat & Torres in the line up at some point. But then again, so far we're getting it.

He's on pace for over 82 at this point, but I won't consider it a failure with 50. I'd have to see how the whole season goes to even evaluate it.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
I don't think (left side d-man) Abeltshauser is even on the Sharks radar as a call up right now. He's nowhere near NHL ready.

If Petrecki is called up it wouldn't be as a replacement for Boyle, it would likely be as a 7th d-man.

If they want to try to replace some of what Boyle brings on the ice, Tennyson seems like the most logical call up.

Acolatse is nursing an injury.

I just meant skillset wise Petrecki does not replace Boyle, nor of course does Stuart. But we have a couple of guys who can play either side (Demers and Braun mostly) and I think even Stuart can shift over if need be.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
I just meant skillset wise Petrecki does not replace Boyle, nor of course does Stuart. But we have a couple of guys who can play either side (Demers and Braun mostly) and I think even Stuart can shift over if need be.

Swap Demers with Stuart. Stuart has played both sides in SJ and Detroit. Braun played left (small sample size though) and was adequate. Demers was awful on the left.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
In 2011-2012

JT 18/59 77
LC 31/34 65
PM 30/35 64
JP 3130 61

13th in the league in scoring with 219 and 273 for Pit at #1. Amazingly LA was at 29th with 188 and won the Cup.

Adding Hertl and Burns into the equation you're asking for an insane amount of scoring and that's not including Havlat & Torres in the line up at some point. But then again, so far we're getting it.

He's on pace for over 82 at this point, but I won't consider it a failure with 50. I'd have to see how the whole season goes to even evaluate it.

And of course there are mitigating circumstances on top of that, what's done is done, he's not going back. 40 points would be a failure imo, 50 points would be the bare minimum of 'not a mistake' and 60 points would be a 'good move' is basically what I'm getting at.

That doesn't take into account if player forward reduces Burn's injury risk, and if he's simply happier at forward (he appears to be). No way to quantify that.

Also, in the end, I think Burns will get 60 points, unless he gets another injury. I don't see any reason for him not to get 60+ points, he's one of the best power forwards in the league right now, especially at wing.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007

Stuart can skate at both right and left D. Braun was ok for the very few games he played on the left side. Demers was a disaster on the left.

No one is going to replace Boyle, Tennyson can bring puck movement and an offensive game so if they do decide they need that element he's likely the player they turn to.

I'd guess they're going to ice the 6 d-men they have for at least the next couple of games and see how they do.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
And of course there are mitigating circumstances on top of that, what's done is done, he's not going back. 40 points would be a failure imo, 50 points would be the bare minimum of 'not a mistake' and 60 points would be a 'good move' is basically what I'm getting at.

That doesn't take into account if player forward reduces Burn's injury risk, and if he's simply happier at forward (he appears to be). No way to quantify that.

Also, in the end, I think Burns will get 60 points, unless he gets another injury. I don't see any reason for him not to get 60+ points, he's one of the best power forwards in the league right now, especially at wing.

Well, at least now that it's done, we agree for the most part :)

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California

Burns plays the way every CBJ and NYR fan want Rick Nash to play. Burns vs Chara next week will be incredibly entertaining.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
I wouldn't tout LA as a team to emulate. They went the low scoring route. It had been done by the Devils previously, but it is a hard road and the team really needs to be top of the heap defensively. The Sharks don't have the defensive personnel for that. That LA team featured Doughty as a #1, but also included Scuderi and Mitchell who are shutdown dmen in their own right. That is in addition to a Vezina caliber goalie. The Sharks have Vlasic as a shutdown in that class but that's it. You can count Nemo's performance of last year in that range, but he would have to sustain it. Sort of like camel and eye of needle. It's much easier to top out 5on5 scoring and go that route.

They had Braun and Demers doing left when they were overloaded right. Without Boyle and with Burns at forward, they are overloaded left. Their only lefty who does both is Stuart and I actually think he does better on the right. They will likely line up their right side as Braun, Stuart and Demers in that order.

BTW, with Boyle out, Demers really needs to do the bucket of pucks routine in practice. His accuracy from the point right now leaves a lot to be desired. A lot of high shots.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I wouldn't tout LA as a team to emulate. They went the low scoring route. It had been done by the Devils previously, but it is a hard road and the team really needs to be top of the heap defensively. The Sharks don't have the defensive personnel for that. That LA team featured Doughty as a #1, but also included Scuderi and Mitchell who are shutdown dmen in their own right. That is in addition to a Vezina caliber goalie. The Sharks have Vlasic as a shutdown in that class but that's it. You can count Nemo's performance of last year in that range, but he would have to sustain it. Sort of like camel and eye of needle. It's much easier to top out 5on5 scoring and go that route.

I'm not sure if you're just using my post as a jumping off point or what, but "Amazingly" would point to my agreement that's it's rare. Going that route is not only boring, but should only be done if that's the best you can do with the team you've ended up with.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
I think the d will be fine as a group without Boyle and with Stuart for the time being. The one thing I don't think I've seen anyone bring up yet though, forgive me if I missed it, is what do you think the pp will look like now?

Do you think the leave the top pp with 4 forwards and just Demers in, or maybe go back to a more traditional style with 2 d on each point.

Seems that they could put Demers or Irwin in boyles spot, but then our 2nd pp doesn't really have much going for it without a qb at all.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
I'm not sure if you're just using my post as a jumping off point or what, but "Amazingly" would point to my agreement that's it's rare. Going that route is not only boring, but should only be done if that's the best you can do with the team you've ended up with.

Sorry, didn't get amazingly in context. We are in agreement.

I am kind of chuckling about LA losing Scuderi. Regehr isn't close at this point in his career. And LA has a top 6 that could go the scoring route, but I doubt Sutter has the inclination or coaching smarts to try something along Chicago style lines. Sutter also doesn't emphasize bottom 6 scoring (personnel choices). And, I doubt Sutter goes with a blueline scoring route (a la Vancouver of a couple years ago) where he again has the personnel to do so if he so chooses (Doughty, Voynov, Martinez, Muzzin).

I agree with the boring part especially with the Lemming effect. A lot of GMs then proceed to try and emulate that boring team.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
I think the d will be fine as a group without Boyle and with Stuart for the time being. The one thing I don't think I've seen anyone bring up yet though, forgive me if I missed it, is what do you think the pp will look like now?

Do you think the leave the top pp with 4 forwards and just Demers in, or maybe go back to a more traditional style with 2 d on each point.

Seems that they could put Demers or Irwin in boyles spot, but then our 2nd pp doesn't really have much going for it without a qb at all.

They used both Irwin and Demers on the top PP unit last night.

I would guess one of them will skate with the top unit and the other will skate on the 2nd with one of Braun or Vlasic (they'll probably use both) on the other point.

I don't think they'll change up the forward groups unless they feel they have to.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
They used both Irwin and Demers on the top PP unit last night.

I would guess one of them will skate with the top unit and the other will skate on the 2nd with one of Braun or Vlasic (they'll probably use both) on the other point.

I don't think they'll change up the forward groups unless they feel they have to.
From what I saw, it looks like Demers gets Boyle's spot and Braun partners Irwin on second unit. We'll see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad