Speculation: If Boyle is out "a while", who might get called up?

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
I wish....Doherty was both physical and defensively responsible enough to get a call up...kids got all the size n length you'd covet but still needs time I'm guessing...just a random thought on dmen

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
"Proven vets" playing over more talented and suitable kids is one of the worst parts of this league. Bruins can't score and Dougie Hamilton is on the bench. Oilers defense and goaltending looks like trash so Yakupov is benched. Leafs need Mark Fraser to punch people's faces, so Gardiner and Reilly are benched. Penguins need toughness so Despres is benched in favor of Engelland. Blues need toughness in the playoffs so Tarasenko is benched.

Having "proven vets" get priority over players that are better than them is a time-aged tradition that always leads to failure.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
How is Irwin/Stuart the only way to go? That's probably worse than Hannan/Stuart.

No thanks.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Oilers defense and goaltending looks like trash so Yakupov is benched.

Didn't know Yakupov played D and G. :sarcasm:
Yakupov has been pretty terrible and complacent this season (linemates aren't great either but still). His benching was more of a wake up call than preference for a vet.

On that note, I would like to see Tennyson play with one of Hannan, Irwin, or Stuart benched.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
"Proven vets" playing over more talented and suitable kids is one of the worst parts of this league. Bruins can't score and Dougie Hamilton is on the bench. Oilers defense and goaltending looks like trash so Yakupov is benched. Leafs need Mark Fraser to punch people's faces, so Gardiner and Reilly are benched. Penguins need toughness so Despres is benched in favor of Engelland. Blues need toughness in the playoffs so Tarasenko is benched.

Having "proven vets" get priority over players that are better than them is a time-aged tradition that always leads to failure.

get what you're saying but that would all be a lot more valid if Tennyson was better then Stuart :p

Moving the puck on the blue line is not going to be the problem, you need someone who actually has NHL level positioning, throwing a rookie into big minutes in this system is just asking for trouble. I just can't see any possible reasoning in playing Tennyson over Stuart.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
I could live with
Vlasic - Braun
Hannan - Demers
Irwin - Stuart

for a bit. They aren't offensive defensemen, but Hannan and Stuart haven't been terrible at breakouts and they will be more solid defensively. It's not like previous seasons with Murray/Wallin/White.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Didn't know Yakupov played D and G. :sarcasm:
Yakupov has been pretty terrible and complacent this season (linemates aren't great either but still). His benching was more of a wake up call than preference for a vet.

On that note, I would like to see Tennyson play with one of Hannan, Irwin, or Stuart benched.

Okay sure, but the Oliers have a lot of problems that are not Yakupov (ie Hall toe-dragging at every chance, RNH not being physically strong to hold on to the puck, Eberle floating at the blueline while the other team scores, J. Schultz running around like a chicken with his head cut off in the defensive zone, Smid looking absolutely horrendous without being attached at the hip to Petry, Ference getting too many minutes, and Dubnyk letting in softies at every turn). Blaming Yakupov is a huuuuuuge cop-out.

get what you're saying but that would all be a lot more valid if Tennyson was better then Stuart :p

Moving the puck on the blue line is not going to be the problem, you need someone who actually has NHL level positioning, throwing a rookie into big minutes in this system is just asking for trouble. I just can't see any possible reasoning in playing Tennyson over Stuart.

I'm not saying that Tennyson is better than Stuart by any means, I'm just rejecting the notion that having a "proven vet" means anything at all.

With Boyle out, your best puck-mover is Jason Demers, who proved tonight that he isn't physically fit enough to play big minutes. Then you have a hodge-podge of Braun-Irwin-Vlasic as solid-but-ideally-not-primary-offensive-options, and then Hannan and Stuart who provide nothing at all in terms of puck-movement. If you're lacking your elite guy, you need to make up for it with quantity. With Boyle out, I want no fewer than 4 puck-movers not counting Vlasic. That means Demers, Irwin, Braun, [Tennyson], Vlasic, and one of Hannan and Stuart.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012

Besides the fact that Tennyson won't just throw the puck up the boards?

Stuart generally loses the shot battle. Mainly if he is seen as a puck mover, which even on an Irwin pairing he would share that responsibility.

You don't need to given Tennyson big minutes.

You can do
Vlasic-Braun
Irwin-Demers
Hannan-Tennyson if you want.

Demers gets a slight minute bump, still sheltered, and you keep a puck mover on every pair.

It's early in the season, this is the best time to get potential playoff call ups nhl minutes.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Okay sure, but the Oliers have a lot of problems that are not Yakupov (ie Hall toe-dragging at every chance, RNH not being physically strong to hold on to the puck, Eberle floating at the blueline while the other team scores, J. Schultz running around like a chicken with his head cut off in the defensive zone, Smid looking absolutely horrendous without being attached at the hip to Petry, Ference getting too many minutes, and Dubnyk letting in softies at every turn). Blaming Yakupov is a huuuuuuge cop-out.

I suspect that Yakupov is getting some of the blame because of the way he is acting behind closed doors.

If the Oilers want Yakupov to be a key piece going forwards, he's either going to have to be a super dynamo offensively, or become a lot more well-rounded. If he's pouting at having to play defense...

I'm not saying that Tennyson is better than Stuart by any means, I'm just rejecting the notion that having a "proven vet" means anything at all.

I would say that talent + no experience beats lower talent with experience, but experience and low talent is better than low talent.

Fundamentally, the reason this is a debate is because the Sharks can't justify tossing anyone out of the lineup. Demers and Hannan have been excellent, save for the odd period here and there. Irwin's been the worst of the lot, and while that might justify playing Stuart or Hannan over him, it wouldn't justify playing Petrecki or Tennyson over him. Stuart, obviously, is too "talented" too leave out of the lineup.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Irwin-Demers seems like a natural pairing to me; Demers is Boyle-lite(-ilte-lite-lite). Then you can use Tennyson in a sheltered 3rd pairing role with a stay-at-home vet (either Hannan or Stuart).

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I suspect that Yakupov is getting some of the blame because of the way he is acting behind closed doors.

If the Oilers want Yakupov to be a key piece going forwards, he's either going to have to be a super dynamo offensively, or become a lot more well-rounded. If he's pouting at having to play defense...

I think that whole quote is overblown. Meh. I've always been a Yakupov-apologist so that's just me.

I would say that talent + no experience beats lower talent with experience, but experience and low talent is better than low talent.

Fundamentally, the reason this is a debate is because the Sharks can't justify tossing anyone out of the lineup. Demers and Hannan have been excellent, save for the odd period here and there. Irwin's been the worst of the lot, and while that might justify playing Stuart or Hannan over him, it wouldn't justify playing Petrecki or Tennyson over him. Stuart, obviously, is too "talented" too leave out of the lineup.

I see your point... I just cringe at the idea of icing both Hannan and Stuart without Boyle in the lineup as well... And the idea of a Irwin-Stuart pairing sends shivers of foreboding down my spine...

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
^^how can you support a Irwin-Demers pairing and say Irwin-Stuart looks bad *head scratch*

Besides the fact that Tennyson won't just throw the puck up the boards?

Stuart generally loses the shot battle. Mainly if he is seen as a puck mover, which even on an Irwin pairing he would share that responsibility.

You don't need to given Tennyson big minutes.

You can do
Vlasic-Braun
Irwin-Demers
Hannan-Tennyson if you want.

Demers gets a slight minute bump, still sheltered, and you keep a puck mover on every pair.

It's early in the season, this is the best time to get potential playoff call ups nhl minutes.
It's early in the season, now is the time to get as far ahead in the division as you can.

Irwin and Demers, scary as hell. The Sharks are playing and winning as a team, Stuart has played and practiced as part of that team, Tennyson has not. You can not demote Stuart or any other single player out there in favor of Tennyson, it just wouldn't be right, I mean if they lose a couple without Boyle, then that decision should be made.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
^^how can you support a Irwin-Demers pairing and say Irwin-Stuart looks bad *head scratch*

It's early in the season, now is the time to get as far ahead in the division as you can.

Irwin and Demers, scary as hell. The Sharks are playing and winning as a team, Stuart has played and practiced as part of that team, Tennyson has not. You can not demote Stuart or any other single player out there in favor of Tennyson, it just wouldn't be right, I mean if they lose a couple without Boyle, then that decision should be made.

If you can't see the difference between an Irwin Demers pairing and Irwin Stuart based on watching them play...I can see why we disagree.

A good idea is not putting two bad puck movers on a line.

A good idea is having a guy that can skate or pass the puck out of trouble in a way that generates offense.

Stuart and Hannan are interchangeable...they shouldn't both be in the lineup at the same time.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Problems with Irwin and Stuart:

- Neither is an above average skater (both are distinctly below average).
- Neither is great at clearing the puck (which I expect they'll have to do a lot of).
- Neither is very creative at the point (Irwin has a great slapper and is a good passer but isn't a true playmaker like Boyle and Stuart blows at everything offense-related).

Irwin-Boyle works well. Irwin-Demers (in theory) should function fine.

BigTuna408

Oct 6, 2013
Los Gatos, CA
Boyle is going to miss a good chunk of time... I'd be shocked if it wasn't the next couple weeks at the very least. From what I saw at the time and heard in postgame interviews about his condition, he's dealing with at least a severe concussion (possibly facial fractures). I believe it was Couture who said he was unresponsive and unconscious even as he was being taken off the ice. Good news is he was alert and responsive when they were taking him to the hospital. Needless to say, they will absolutely make sure he's 100% good to go before they even think about letting him rejoin the team.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Problems with Irwin and Stuart:

- Neither is an above average skater (both are distinctly below average).
- Neither is great at clearing the puck (which I expect they'll have to do a lot of).
- Neither is very creative at the point (Irwin has a great slapper and is a good passer but isn't a true playmaker like Boyle and Stuart blows at everything offense-related).

Irwin-Boyle works well. Irwin-Demers (in theory) should function fine.

Although with Irwin and Demers, you are putting the two defensemen most prone to defensive-zone gaffes on the same line.

If he were up to it, I'd like to drop Burns back on D.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Although with Irwin and Demers, you are putting the two defensemen most prone to defensive-zone gaffes on the same line.

If he were up to it, I'd like to drop Burns back on D.

I would argue that the amount of gaffes made by Demers will result in less goals against than the amount of time that Stuart will spend buried in his own one because he's incapable of moving the puck.

And there is no injury that would make me want to move Burns back to D. He's just so incredibly effective at forward.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
I Suspect over 60 minutes a gaffe here and there won't have as much negative impact as consistently losing the shot battle.

I don't really have proof of that. Just my opinion.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'd call up Tennyson and sit Irwin.

Vlasic-Braun
Stuart-Demers
Hannan-Tennyson

It's more important to get a PMD in there to replace Boyle than anything else. And if it's not that setup, you'd have to take out one of Stuart or Hannan for Irwin and I don't think his play is so good that it justifies a secure spot in the lineup.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Tennyson with sheltered minutes and hopefully Demers gets used to playing heavier minutes. We'll see..I'm not crazy with any of the options right now.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Tennyson with sheltered minutes and hopefully Demers gets used to playing heavier minutes. We'll see..I'm not crazy with any of the options right now.

Me neither.

Demers still has issues defensively, Hannan has been better then expected but is still a borderline #6. Stuart is best used as a #5/6 and Irwin as #4/5 - so what I'm saying here is I agree.

Adding Tennyson to the lineup seems like the logical thing to do but like I said, the coaches weren't thrilled with him in camp and he'd need to be sheltered and skate with someone who can clean up his mistakes which would mean separating Vlasic and Braun - and that's the main reason I think they'll just slot Stuart into Boyle's spot and see how it goes.

I'm really hoping he's not going to miss a lot of time. He's really important to the team both on and off the ice.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
I would argue that the amount of gaffes made by Demers will result in less goals against than the amount of time that Stuart will spend buried in his own one because he's incapable of moving the puck.

And there is no injury that would make me want to move Burns back to D. He's just so incredibly effective at forward.

The problem is Burns seems to love being a forward. He looks far happier and more enthused for the game as a forward. I doubt he ever goes back simply because he doesn't want to. What's done is done, he's a forward, we will have to wait and see if that was a mistake or not. If he only gets 50 points this year, I think long term it will have been a mistake. Also depends if Wilson can find a replacement.

Stuart looked great the beginning of last year, was moving the puck well and his skating seemed pretty good, then he deteriorated. Don't know what the issue with him is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->