If Bob & Bread go - then what?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I don't see Stone or Duchene being a difference maker and I wouldn't want to pay a premium for either.

I guess bottom line if they leave my best bet for success is solidifying the bottom pairing of blue line, finding 2 quality goalies, and finding forwards who can play defensive hockey along with the offensive talent we have (and are developing). Play with speed (no slow grinders), but sound defensive hockey and hope to win a lot of 3-2 games.

I fully realize the past NHL champions score goals, but sometimes when everyone else is zigging, we may need to zag.

Re Stone & Duchene : They will be better than any forward left behind after Bread leaves with the possible exception of Cam.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
That's a good idea if you want to mess with the Leafs salaries, maybe force them to match a max contract.

Columbus doesn't own 4-1st round picks in the same year to be able to offer sheet a max contract. To submit the offer, you have to have the payment required.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
Columbus doesn't own 4-1st round picks in the same year to be able to offer sheet a max contract. To submit the offer, you have to have the payment required.

They don’t have to be in the same year.

• All draft picks must be for the next draft, with the exception of multiple first round picks
  • When having to give up multiple first round picks teams get an extra year, but they are the next draft picks available when the offer sheet is submitted so no picking and choosing

NHL Offer Sheet Rules - A Refresher

Reactions: CPTN71

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Re Stone & Duchene : They will be better than any forward left behind after Bread leaves with the possible exception of Cam.

I really don't care who the tallest midget would be. :) We've seen what Duchene does on bad teams - he gets stats and team is still bad. That doesn't interest me.
I would rather have guys that fit within a system rather than playing fantasy/roto hockey. Especially when you think about 5-6+ year deals and $7-10M per.
Again I could be dead wrong. Maybe we let these guys walk and Duchene steps into Panarin's role offensively and we plan a big parade down Nationwide Blvd. I just don't get excited and see a guy you build around.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I find that quotes from front office personnel are only reliable if they support my pre-existing opinions. If they don’t, then I can easily decide to decide they’re playing fast and loose with the truth.

I find that all quotes from the front office are questionable and evidence of little when they are discussing the roster, this includes contracts, holes, injury, etc.

Good day.

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
I really don't care who the tallest midget would be. :) We've seen what Duchene does on bad teams - he gets stats and team is still bad. That doesn't interest me.
I would rather have guys that fit within a system rather than playing fantasy/roto hockey. Especially when you think about 5-6+ year deals and $7-10M per.
Again I could be dead wrong. Maybe we let these guys walk and Duchene steps into Panarin's role offensively and we plan a big parade down Nationwide Blvd. I just don't get excited and see a guy you build around.
I agree Duchene isn't the answer (and, seeing the mess that was last few years between COL/OTT, might make it worse), but Stone is very very good. SEe my previous response--a variety of analytics have him on the level of Panarin in all-around contributions as a top line forward. He'd be far and away our best forward sans Bread.

Last edited:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I agree Duchene isn't the answer (and, seeing the mess that was last few years between COL/OTT, might make it worse), but Stone is very very good.

The way I read the COL/OTT mess is that we've learned that Duchene can't fix what's broken. That doesn't tell you much about whether he can help the Blue Jackets. He's a good overall player, not just a points guy, so I think he'd probably be a solid upgrade for us.

Reactions: thebus88

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Duchene had 27g and 32 a playing on 2 bad teams , in Col and Ott last year. How would he not be a huge upgrade ? Convince Panarin to stay, and he probably becomes a 75 point player instantly. He would instantly come in and take over the #1 center job, pushing PLD where he belongs, and Wennberg where he belongs (assuming hes not traded), which he probably would be since Riley Nash is a capable #3 center, much cheaper.

Reactions: Halfboard

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Idk why anyone is talking Duchene we dodged that bullet last year. We actually finally have depth there when dubi gets healthy and in the pipeline. Im feeling REALLY good about Foudy to 1-2 punch with PLD in the future. Foudy bread and cam would be insane speed then ypu got PLD Anderson and our new Russian on the 2nd line because that dude is a physical specimen. Third nash fligs and bjork then 4th duclair dubi and sonny. 4 lines roll.

Honestly I think if we can win 1 round and Bread and cam keep this amazing chemistry up I think he stays. I also think Bob is 100% gone and Im finally accepting of it because I know we have the talent in our system to cover the loss and that 8 mil we are able to add players with is a HUGE plus. Say we even trade Wennberg because we sign a C with that 8mil or use wennberg in a trade for an upgrade there thats 13mil we are working with.

Im comfortable already this year with the way we are playing feeling we are a playoff team but im excited about next season already. I cant wait to see what GMJK can do with this room to maneuver around.

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
Idk why anyone is talking Duchene we dodged that bullet last year. We actually finally have depth there when dubi gets healthy and in the pipeline. Im feeling REALLY good about Foudy to 1-2 punch with PLD in the future. Foudy bread and cam would be insane speed then ypu got PLD Anderson and our new Russian on the 2nd line because that dude is a physical specimen. Third nash fligs and bjork then 4th duclair dubi and sonny. 4 lines roll.

Honestly I think if we can win 1 round and Bread and cam keep this amazing chemistry up I think he stays. I also think Bob is 100% gone and Im finally accepting of it because I know we have the talent in our system to cover the loss and that 8 mil we are able to add players with is a HUGE plus. Say we even trade Wennberg because we sign a C with that 8mil or use wennberg in a trade for an upgrade there thats 13mil we are working with.

Im comfortable already this year with the way we are playing feeling we are a playoff team but im excited about next season already. I cant wait to see what GMJK can do with this room to maneuver around.
You think Foudy will make the team next year? K. And Marchenko definitely won't be over next year. Otherwise the team won't look like what you shared. I doubt Dubinsky or Milano are on the team in a few years when Foudy/Marchenko/Tex are making the team as NHL wings.

Reactions: domi28 and Cowumbus

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
You think Foudy will make the team next year? K. And Marchenko definitely won't be over next year. Otherwise the team won't look like what you shared. I doubt Dubinsky or Milano are on the team in a few years when Foudy/Marchenko/Tex are making the team as NHL wings.
Foudy 100% can. PLD did it and Foudy is just as gifted it seems so far EXTREMELY high on him based on the camps, international invites, tearing it up in Canada right now. The Russians normally take a little to come over so point you on that one. But Foudy/PLD/Nash/Wennberg/Dubi/Tex center is finally not bad.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
It's not about if he's ready, it's about being better than who is on the roster. He's gotta steal a spot from someone as it currently stands. We have no clue if he's gonna be able to do that or if he'll have force himself on the roster in a injury callup.

Reactions: Monk

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
I feel highly confident Texier won't play center in the NHL. I"m unconvinced Foudy will, either.

Reactions: thebus88

Old Guy

Aug 30, 2015
I feel highly confident Texier won't play center in the NHL.

Three questions - and I'm not being a jerk, I'm truly curious.

1. Texier has played center most of his entire career. Are you saying he won't have a substantial NHL career?
2. Are you saying he will later be moved to a wing position but will have a substantial NHL career?
3. You are highly confident. Can you share with me how you formed that opinion? I'm looking for the steps you took or how you got there. Again, not poking. I'm wondering how you did this because I want to do more methodical study of overseas prospects.
Thanks,

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

1. Texier has played center most of his entire career. Are you saying he won't have a substantial NHL career?
2. Are you saying he will later be moved to a wing position but will have a substantial NHL career?
3. You are highly confident. Can you share with me how you formed that opinion? I'm looking for the steps you took or how you got there. Again, not poking. I'm wondering how you did this because I want to do more methodical study of overseas prospects.
Thanks,

The level of hockey in the NHL is significantly higher than the other leagues of "high level" pro hockey when it comes to ALL aspects of the game, both physically and mentally.

My 1 question to you is this. Is Texier playing center right now in Finland?

I'm not sure, but I don't think he is. He looks like a better version of Milano and/or Duclair like.

His "style" of play seems to "fit" as a winger. Especially if at the NHL level.

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006

Thanks,
Sure, thanks for your question. I think he'll have an NHL career, but it'll be on the wing. With the bits and pieces I've been able to see of him from camps/highlight videos/etc, I have a hard time seeing an NHL center so much as a good winger. It doesn't seem that he's playing center for KalPa right now, though the rest of the season will give us more of an idea. He was certainly impressive at the WJCs, but can he do that against grown men?

I also don't know that he'll have the opportunity to break into the league at center on our team (or really play it in the SHL this year). We have a number of younger players in the AHL right now I think can play center well that seem to be playing wing instead (Stenlund, Thurkauf). I doubt he (Tex) goes directly to the NHL, and I don't know that he'll get played at center in the AHL, either.

I also do not claim expertise in the drafting and development of professional athletes. I own that, with my limited viewpoint, I wanted the Jackets to draft such legends as Peter Mueller and Brandon Gormley. I was sure Boone Jenner would be an NHL center after a year or so as a winger... and we see how that's gone.

Old Guy

Aug 30, 2015
My 1 question to you is this. Is Texier playing center right now in Finland?

Everything I had seen listed showed him as a center. The clips I have seen of him typically have him in a center position. The exception seems to be power play. It looks like he is running the half-wall (which isn't out of character for a center). Typically the net front goes to the muscular winger.

But I can't prove my contention of his first 10 games at KalPa this year. ....and that goes to a bit of my point. I'm trying to find way/places to better keep up with Euro prospects, but I'm not going to buy more subscriptions or watch games that start at noon here.

If I have used my past knowledge (only) and drawn an incorrect inference, I apologize.

Old Guy

Aug 30, 2015
Sure, thanks for your question.... and we see how that's gone.

I'm a bit of a history nut, and that might explain a bit of what was behind my question(s). During the 11 years from 2000 to 2010 (inclusive) 184 of the 330 2nd round picks either failed to make th eNHL or skate in 20 NHL games. That is an average of 16.7 of the 30 picks each year fail to make it. The best drafting was 2008 and 2010 when only 13 players didn't record 20 games in their career. The worst was 2004 and 2007 when 21 of the 30 players drafted never made the show.

My question was (a) are you highly confident that Jarmo whiffed on his 45th pick in the draft, or (b) he is a winger - not a center? And maybe you are highly confident because of the odds. Again....just curious about how others come to their conclusions.

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
I'm a bit of a history nut, and that might explain a bit of what was behind my question(s). During the 11 years from 2000 to 2010 (inclusive) 184 of the 330 2nd round picks either failed to make th eNHL or skate in 20 NHL games. That is an average of 16.7 of the 30 picks each year fail to make it. The best drafting was 2008 and 2010 when only 13 players didn't record 20 games in their career. The worst was 2004 and 2007 when 21 of the 30 players drafted never made the show.

My question was (a) are you highly confident that Jarmo whiffed on his 45th pick in the draft, or (b) he is a winger - not a center? And maybe you are highly confident because of the odds. Again....just curious about how others come to their conclusions.
I'm not highly confident Jarmo whiffed on the pick. I feel he's going to be a winger, rather than a center, in the NHL.

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
To answer the OP, if Bob & Bread go.....it'll improve the mood in the clubhouse.
This uncertainty of them either staying or going, as much as everyone says it's not affecting the team - it is.

Especially Bob, it's between his ears - and he can be a bit fragile to begin with.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
To answer the OP, if Bob & Bread go.....it'll improve the mood in the clubhouse.
This uncertainty of them either staying or going, as much as everyone says it's not affecting the team - it is.

Especially Bob, it's between his ears - and he can be a bit fragile to begin with.
Even if it’s not affecting everyone in the room, it iappears to be affecting some. Certainly appears to be affecting Bob.

I KNOW it’s affecting me.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Even if it’s not affecting everyone in the room, it iappears to be affecting some. Certainly appears to be affecting Bob.

I KNOW it’s affecting me.

I get why you'd say that about Bob, but curious what else you've seen to indicate that the Bob/Panarin situations are affecting other folks. It's starting to feel to me like these 2 (very different) situations are the scapegoat for this year's team's inconsistencies/deficiencies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad