Value of: If Anaheim Ducks want another top 10 pick? Asking price please?

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
unfortunately im not a leaf fan or their GM, im an Islander fan.

but looking at things from an outside perspective I could see a deal around Manson and Nylander as helping both teams since Nylander would flourish as your new Number one center and Manson would bring toughness and a right handed shot, which they seem to prefer. the only problem is that Kyle Dubas promised Nylander he would not be traded, as a condition of his signing

even if he could trade him though, im pretty sure that hes worth more than Manson. 22 year old centers coming off back to back 60 point centers are incredibly valuable, they have an embarrassment of riches on their forward corps. Im of the opinion that Nylander on another team where he could play 1st line minutes and powerplay, he would score 80 points. but with Tavares and Matthews in front of him , that isnt happening.

im only aware of Torotos cap issues because im a finance guy and im wondering how they will handle all these contracts they've handed out

Tavares, John "A" NMC C NHL 28 $11,000,000 $11,000,000 $11,000,000 $11,000,000
Nylander, William RW, C NHL 22 $10,277,778 $6,962,366 $6,962,366 $6,962,366
Marleau, Patrick "A" 35+NMC LW, C NHL 39 $6,250,000 $6,250,000
Kadri, Nazem C NHL 28 $4,500,000 $4,500,000 $4,500,000 $4,500,000
Matthews, Auston C NHL 21 $925,000 $11,634,000 $11,634,000 $11,634,000
Rielly, Morgan "A" LD NHL 24 $5,000,000 $5,000,000 $5,000,000 $5,000,000
Zaitsev, Nikita RD NHL 27 $4,500,000 $4,500,000 $4,500,000 $4,500,000
Gardiner, Jake LD NHL 28 $4,050,000
Muzzin, Jake LD NHL 29 $4,000,000 $4,000,000
Andersen, Frederik M-NTC G NHL 29 $5,000,000 $5,000,000 $5,000,000

and they still have to pay Marner who some say will get 9-10M himself, thats like 70Million for just 11 players

Last edited:

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Another blown out loss from Philadelphia today. Can we please do business with you Toronto? No organization should have Winnipeg tying franchise records and other teams beating teams by 4 to 5 goals a game.

We need to make it happen man. This is the worst I’ve seen ducks in for years.

You write up a 3 team trade. It makes the most sense for everyone involved. If not? We do business with florida.
why are you so obsessed with trading with Toronto?

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
why are you so obsessed with trading with Toronto?
i cant speak for 405 but maybe because they have 4 great centers and could use some defense, just saying, if you could get Nylander for Manson for example it would be a coup, but I dont think toronto would do that

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Yes you are in denial. You are the lowest scoring team in the league. How many goals does a coach score? That's right None.

Getzlaf Perry and Kessler have slowed down. Rakell is scoring less, that's why you are in last place in scoring not Carlyle. Carlyle is just your scapegoat, nothing will change when he's gone unless you find people who can put pucks in the net.

You deserve what you get because you refuse to see reality. And your lucky to have 405 because at least he's looking at the actual problem and looking for solutions. He's not like you, trying to deny that people age and that others need to step up when that happens. It happens to everyone, so while you're busy lying to yourself, you do nothing and the problem gets worse.

It's no skin off my nose. After all I root for another team. But it's silly not to realise that sometimes you can be too close to see the problem and outside eyes can much easier understand the problem. And in this case with Perry being out, the team needed Getzlaf and Kesler to provide more and when they couldn't do it, Someone else needed to step up and no one has.

Losing Kase a key secondary piece hasn't helped either

In any case failure to accurately diagnose the issue can lead to more severe complications that denial only exacerbates.

Period The End.
I see you completely ignored the fact that your team is doing incredibly under a new coach, almost like that doesn't fit your narrative you're trying to push... Coaches do have an effect on the players. When a whole team has quit on a coach like the Ducks have, you get this mess of a team right now. Having a system that actually forces offensive zone pressure instead of chipping the puck behind the net and cycling down low will help increase scoring.

Absolutely no is denying that Kesler, Perry, Getzlaf have slowed down. They have, Kesler more than the other two. The jury is still out with Perry seeing as he just came back from major knee surgery and still put up 50 points last season on a low scoring team ( once again that's due to Randy's coaching style. aka "win games 2-1 or 1-0).

Sorry, do you think 405 has any actual input with what the team does? All 405 wants is to trade every player and prospect and start completely over with more mystery boxes because our prospects haven't made an immediate or challenging for the calder. Attitudes like that have never done a franchise good.

Again, literally no one is denying those three have aged, there are numerous posts talking about how Kes is hardly an nhl player anymore. The only one who hasn't declined dramatically is Getzlaf. We do need players to step up, but under this coaching group that isn't happening since the team has given up on him and the season. It's like you don't understand the concept of players playing differently under a new coach (again, just like at your own damn team).

Yeah, you root for a team with a new coach who has dramatically made your team better, imagine that...

And losing Kase hurt this team far more than you're admitting.

Also, just saying "Period The End" does not actually end discussion or prove you're right, just makes you look like a tool.

Reactions: crowi

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
i cant speak for 405 but maybe because they have 4 great centers and could use some defense, just saying
3, Nylander hasn't proven enough as a NHL center. Their prospects aren't world beaters and their picks are going to be late picks. They don't have enough inticing pieces to move our defensemen for and 3 way team trades don't happen enough to just say, "hey toronto write up a 3 team trade." that's not how it works.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
That trade worked because we had Montour ready to step in on RD. That is no longer the case. Having to put Sustr in our top 4 defense would negatively offset the amount of scoring any top 6 forward could produce

Nylander is not a center. You can call him that all you want but every bit of his NHL success has come at the wing (and this year he's not having a ton of success there either).

A) You clearly haven't watched any Anaheim games if you're calling that ****show out there a "good defense"

B) You are somehow able to admit (in the middle of that clueless condescending rant) that systems matter when it comes to defensive structure, but somehow are unable to comprehend that this applies to the forwards and their job as well? Goals are supposed to magically appear when there is no puck support and no game plan except dump, chase and throw random **** at the net sometimes? JFC dude this is the NHL not a game of freaking shinny. Having a solid system and a game plan matters at both ends of the ice.

C) Calling other posters simpletons and idiots and being a complete dick to them while spouting stupid **** like this is really something else

in fairness to you spazkat would you not admit that the defense as a group is normally fine as is gibson?

isnt it possible that the defense and gibson are feeling the pressure when your defense knows you cant score, and even one goal against means youll probably lose dont you think that wears you down?

i mean come on Gibson is an elite all world goalie, and lately hes played terribly. its because the pressure has gotten to him

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
dracom first off youre an incredible idiot, a real simpleton

Trotz helped the isles by installing a defensive system we went from the worst defensive team to the best, but he didnt do anything to our offense

you get that right? literally went from by far the worst defensive team to the best

coaches do not score goals, they can teach players how to play defense, but ive yet to see a coach score a single goal

and your problem isnt that you cant defend, anaheim has a very good defense, you just cant score

thats why i say youre a simpleton truly one of the most ignorant posters ive ever known because you dont get that your problem is the opposite of what the Islanders Was.

the moment you hire a coach that can score goals for you talk to me.

but until you do keep it to yourself because you have no idea what youre talking about

enjoy your rebuild
A good defensive system, helps your offense.
Right now Anaheim currently has a system where everyone looks lost and no one knows who to cover, and on the off chance we do get the puck there is no available passing options because they are busy playing what RC considers "fast hockey" and flying the zone.

There are problems in Anaheim sure, but a coaching/system change would be a big step in the right direction... a season where we end up in the top 5 in the draft might be a blessing in disguise, and may allow us to avoid a rebuild.

As far as Anaheim cant score, I agree... but it all starts back in the defensive zone/neutral zone, and were playing a style of hockey that is outdated and RC is tyring to pass it off as "fast"... but really its just a style that puts our dmen in bad positions, and our forwards out of position to cover the 3rd man in. In the d zone our dmen recover puck, but the forwards fly the zone, so there is no passing options and the opposing team can cause turnovers, which traps our dmen on the ice for extended periods of times, by the time we get the puck were just trying to dump it and get a line change.

No matter how you want to paint it, the biggest issue is system/coaching. Yes some players are older and take up a big chunk of our money and virtually unable to trade at this point, and that hurts overall but it should still be a roster fighting for a playoff spot.

Notice how we go on allstar break and randy caryle was quoted saying "we had time to work on our defensive systems", since then I think were averaging 6 Goals against a game... so the 1 thing RC said he was working on during the break got worse? Def seems like the 1st place id check for problems.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
in fairness to you spazkat would you not admit that the defense as a group is normally fine as is gibson?

isnt it possible that the defense and gibson are feeling the pressure when your defense knows you cant score, and even one goal against means youll probably lose dont you think that wears you down?

i mean come on Gibson is an elite all world goalie, and lately hes played terribly. its because the pressure has gotten to him
That's def I think a cuase of gibsons recent struggles... he knows if he allows 1 goal... were in trouble, if he allows 2 its basically a loss. That is def an overwhelming feeling for a goalie to have to deal with.

That being said maybe watch a game, and tell me that any of the players out there have any idea what they are supposed to be doing in any of the zones? because to me they all look confused. Hell we still dump the puck in majority of our possessions when we cross the red line. The offense isn't going to compete with the likes of Toronto/tamp/Winnipeg but with the right system we can take pressure off our goalie and D and put some of that pressure in the other teams zone for a bit.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Nah if you are a top 10 pick you should be a star. It often just means you didn’t take care of yourself off the ice if you aren’t (or just aren’t lucky to be able to handle the partying and succeeding on ice).

Agree with this thank you for chiming in. Ducks fans are in denial as usual. Manson and or Montour can swing a deal for a top 10 pick. They are just reluctant to trade. But I’m all ears for it.

Top 10 in this draft? Is really good. We aren’t talking about a damn Yakupov draft. This draft has merit.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
No one is in denial. Also as an Islanders fan you should know well enough how much having an effective coach can help a team. Unless you think by subtracting JT has helped you guys become 1st in your division.

But also the fact that you and 405 agree says a lot lol. He would give up all our prospects because they didn't make an immediate impact for futures who also have no guarantee in making an impact. He would trade every roster player to Toronto or Buffalo for whatever reason so we're in perpetual state of rebuilding hoping to get draft picks that make an immediate impact on the roster even though that is absolutely foolish.

So we go on the coach excuse. Sounds awesome. Team is worst in the league right now on goal difference. And you blame the coach lmao

You’re grasping at straws right now while subdued in denial.

Edit: the fact other people find reason? And how this makes sense? Only substantiates that you’re wrong. Take off the glasses. And you can see a whole new world of what can be done with manson or Montour in the rebuild.

Last edited:

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Agree with this thank you for chiming in. Ducks fans are in denial as usual. Manson and or Montour can swing a deal for a top 10 pick. They are just reluctant to trade. But I’m all ears for it.

Top 10 in this draft? Is really good. We aren’t talking about a damn Yakupov draft. This draft has merit.

Again you're ignoring the facts that being in the top 10 does not mean you should be a star player. Go look at previous years top 10 picks, only a small handful of them are what you can consider all-star players. Would you trade our pick for someone like Jared Spurgeon or Nate Schmidt (similar age players to Manson and similar production last season). I wouldn't. Other teams aren't giving up top 10 lottery picks for top 4 defensemen, it doesn't happen since you hope that top 10 pick becomes a top 2 player.

So we go on the coach excuse. Sounds awesome. Team is worst in the league right now on goal difference. And you blame the coach lmao

You’re grasping at straws right now while subdued in denial.

So we go back to not bringing up anything to the discussion. Yes, they are the worst in goal differential, also 5th worse in GAs with 2 goals separating them from 3rd. We're a bad defensive team under Randy, that's been a trend with him since he's been here. Can't create offense when you never have the puck, can't defend when players are told to be in wrong areas in the defensive zone. You can ignore coaching all you want, but history shows that coaching has a strong correlation to how well a team does.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Again you're ignoring the facts that being in the top 10 does not mean you should be a star player. Go look at previous years top 10 picks, only a small handful of them are what you can consider all-star players. Would you trade our pick for someone like Jared Spurgeon or Nate Schmidt (similar age players to Manson and similar production last season). I wouldn't. Other teams aren't giving up top 10 lottery picks for top 4 defensemen, it doesn't happen since you hope that top 10 pick becomes a top 2 player.

So we go back to not bringing up anything to the discussion. Yes, they are the worst in goal differential, also 5th worse in GAs with 2 goals separating them from 3rd. We're a bad defensive team under Randy, that's been a trend with him since he's been here. Can't create offense when you never have the puck, can't defend when players are told to be in wrong areas in the defensive zone. You can ignore coaching all you want, but history shows that coaching has a strong correlation to how well a team does.

Coaching has no effect when your team is getting blown out night in and night out. I don’t care if you throw in Babcock from Toronto in this position. You still lose. This team is a low budget team. And I’m gonna take my gamble in the draft.

We cant afford mcdavids we can’t afford Duchenes. This team only hope is through the draft.

Until you realize that and stop nit picking coaches as the issue. The better you’ll find yourself.

Edit: And you’re also wrong on that other point of top 10 picks being in play. Florida already offered there’s so that’s false. Manson and or Montour can fetch one. Maybe you should read the past few pages before spewing garbage.

Last edited:

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Coaching has no effect when your team is getting blown out night in and night out. I don’t care if you throw in Babcock from Toronto in this position. You still lose. This team is a low budget team. And I’m gonna take my gamble in the draft.

We cant afford mcdavids we can’t afford Duchenes. This team only hope is through the draft.

Until you realize that and stop nit picking coaches as the issue. The better you’ll find yourself.

We can't afford them so you hope to draft one that will become someone we can't afford? What happens if the guy we draft doesn't immediately pan out (as most top 10 picks)? want to trade him for more futures like you want to do with Steel, Jones, Terry? You have to be patient with prospects, few players make an immediate impact in the NHL right after they are drafted.

This team has quit on the coach, bringing in a new coach could easily change things. It's not like a team has never had a coaching change mid-season or off season that has greatly benefited them, no that's never happened ever....

I understand the importance of having impact players on cheap contracts, but so do other teams. Also I find it amusing that you put so much of the blame on the players you're trying to trade. If the coaching has no effect on the players, then the players are just bad right? Then why would a team trade a top 10 lottery pick (a pick they value just as highly as you) for a bad player?

Reactions: gunnergunther

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
We can't afford them so you hope to draft one that will become someone we can't afford? What happens if the guy we draft doesn't immediately pan out (as most top 10 picks)? want to trade him for more futures like you want to do with Steel, Jones, Terry? You have to be patient with prospects, few players make an immediate impact in the NHL right after they are drafted.

This team has quit on the coach, bringing in a new coach could easily change things. It's not like a team has never had a coaching change mid-season or off season that has greatly benefited them, no that's never happened ever....

I understand the importance of having impact players on cheap contracts, but so do other teams. Also I find it amusing that you put so much of the blame on the players you're trying to trade. If the coaching has no effect on the players, then the players are just bad right? Then why would a team trade a top 10 lottery pick (a pick they value just as highly as you) for a bad player?

We are talking about Manson and Montour. Both cost controlled. Both priorities of teams needing RHD. Florida wants one of them for a top 10 pick. How are you still arguing about not getting a lottery pick when Florida has already offered it? Talk about something else please.

More importantly, what Buffalo would offer in three team trade.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
We are talking about Manson and Montour. Both cost controlled. Both priorities of teams needing RHD. Florida wants one of them for a top 10 pick. How are you still arguing about not getting a lottery pick when Florida has already offered it? Talk about something else please.

More importantly what Buffalo would three team trade.
Florida has not offered anything, a Florida fan has, you do see the difference there right? You’re not talking to the GM of the Panthers.

You can’t just tell a team to make a three team trade so you can get what you want for players you don’t actually think are good.

ref19

Oct 3, 2017

Thanks. Happy to be a resource on the site.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015

So in this fantasy world, who are we playing on RD once you've traded off one of the only 2 decent ones we have? Its not like we have any viable alternatives in the system. Or are we using this pick to try to re-draft what we just traded away so we can have a replacement in another 3-4 years.

You keep pointing out that we're a budget team, but somehow haven't applied that to it's logical conclusion. The Samueli's will not go for a full teardown and what that would do to cash inflow. The team is, and always has been about making the playoffs at least and getting that revenue. Re-tool on the fly is probably the closest they'll get and the only way to do that is to at least attempt to ice a decent team. Selling off the young proven players on reasonable contracts is not the way that happens.

Reactions: gunnergunther

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County

Not going to comment on your other points, but what the heck are you going on about here? When did Florida offer the Ducks a top pick in the draft? If you're referring to a fan of Florida offering up a hypothetical trade, then you seriously need to understand the difference.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
We currently have $9.2 million in cap space, ($13.1 million in deadline space) and will have anywhere from $18-25 million in the off-season if one of Lu retires or Reimer is moved along with Pysyk being traded at this deadline. Manson and his contract make a ton of sense for us if we're chasing both Bobrovsky and Panarin who could potentially eat up $20 million combined but hoping it's close to $17-18 million.

Re-signing Manson in three 3 years probably won't happen as we would still have Ekblad for another 3-4 years and one would assume we've developed a couple RD prospects that are ready for 2nd and 3rd pairing roles in that time.

Florida has offered its Pick. This moderator has already done a proposal. Maybe Duck fans should read back pages before looking silly.

On another note Ducks have the #4 pick. Kings just past us in the standings tonight.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Watch ducks land first overall pick with Hughes. And we negotiate with Florida for there first rounder.

Hughes + Cozens/Krebs

Gonna definitely goto some games next season. That’s a very exciting duo to watch irl.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
What would it take to get Gibson in Colorado?

It isn’t going to happen. You don’t trade a top 5 goalie who is only 25 and locked up for 7 more years at what already is a good contract.

For shits and giggles, Ott 1st is 100% the starting point. Add from there.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
It isn’t going to happen. You don’t trade a top 5 goalie who is only 25 and locked up for 7 more years at what already is a good contract.

For ****s and giggles, Ott 1st is 100% the starting point. Add from there.
Okay, I'll also add a 2021 7th.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad