Proposal: If #65 Karlsson wants out

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
If he wants out we want prospects. That means we are rebuilding

Yeah you’re right they do age differently. Dmen play longer. See Lidstrom, Chara, **** most dmen thay don’t suffer extreme injuries.

also assuming you’re a flames fan (user name) EK would be third on your team in scoring. AS A DEFENSEMAN.

My team has also been mediocre for most of the season with two star players having bad seasons(Johnny and Money) and you forgot to say Gio like hes 34 and still playing excellent.

Reactions: Gecklund

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Which teams would be interested in Karl today, while being a shell of his former self - and on a huge contract?

What would teams give up and would it be enough for San Jose to move him?

A few of the same teams that showed interest in him before San Jose got him I'm sure would show interest in him now. All of them would've signed the same deal and all of them know that Karlsson as he is right now is perfectly fine on that contract. You still have to put a good team around him to make it worth it which all those teams would be trying to do. However, it's highly unlikely that the Sharks would believe it's enough to move him unless he wants out. If he wants out, they'll probably just take the best deal they can get from a team he's willing to go to. Who knows what that is since his NMC is full and he controls his destiny but it's not something I'm worried about.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Which teams would be interested in Karl today, while being a shell of his former self - and on a huge contract?

Ottawa. Toronto. Montreal . Vancouver. Winnipeg Vegas come to mind. Cant speak too much for anyone but Toronto but it would require major salary back including ceci...

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Ottawa. Toronto. Montreal . Vancouver. Winnipeg Vegas come to mind. Cant speak too much for anyone but Toronto but it would require major salary back including ceci...
Us fans probably,but so long as EM owns the team likely not

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
If Karlsson wants out, I am guessing he waives his NMC. And if he does that, I am pretty sure we get decent value back for him. People look at his +/- and point total but despite having a 'down year' he is #1 in points on the Sharks team. This team has had terrible goal tending, coaching and the talent level in the forward group sucks.

I doubt he signed a 8 year contract just to give up after 1 year.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
My team has also been mediocre for most of the season with two star players having bad seasons(Johnny and Money) and you forgot to say Gio like hes 34 and still playing excellent.
The Sharks have too with most players having poor seasons. They do look like they’re starting to turn it around under Bougher (sometimes). I think this week off will do them good. Also yes I was thinking Gio too just didn’t add him.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
The Sharks have too with most players having poor seasons. They do look like they’re starting to turn it around under Bougher (sometimes). I think this week off will do them good. Also yes I was thinking Gio too just didn’t add him.

San Jose's forwards aren't even top-25 in the NHL. Then add useless goalies and you have a non-playoff team.

Reactions: DarthProbert

Shocker

Dec 20, 2019
Only way SJ would get anything useful out of Karlsson, would be retaining a lot.

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018

San Jose’s best bet is to expose him in expansion draft and hope Seattle bites.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If Karlsson wants out, I am guessing he waives his NMC. And if he does that, I am pretty sure we get decent value back for him. People look at his +/- and point total but despite having a 'down year' he is #1 in points on the Sharks team. This team has had terrible goal tending, coaching and the talent level in the forward group sucks.

I doubt he signed a 8 year contract just to give up after 1 year.

I don't think that's the correct context as it relates to the NMC. If Karlsson wants out, he will supply DW a list of places he'd accept a trade to. Doing so doesn't waive the NMC altogether and also even with supplying a list of acceptable places, it is still within his rights to decline a trade to one of those teams. The clause isn't waived in the process and then it's all fair game. He dictates the terms in that situation. And the clause follows with him wherever he goes as well.

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
If the sharks retained 25% of his salary I could see a good amount of interest but his cap as it is today is not going to work for 90% of the nhl teams

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If the sharks retained 25% of his salary I could see a good amount of interest but his cap as it is today is not going to work for 90% of the nhl teams

There would be enough teams that would easily make it work at his full rate to where retaining close to 3 mil for seven seasons will be quite unnecessary.

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
There would be enough teams that would easily make it work at his full rate to where retaining close to 3 mil for seven seasons will be quite unnecessary.
If that were true a team going into a full rebuild mode would have moved him by now leafs had to retain almost 2 m on kassel for him to be moveable , and he was still an elite winger .

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If that were true a team going into a full rebuild mode would have moved him by now leafs had to retain almost 2 m on kassel for him to be moveable , and he was still an elite winger .

Toronto had to retain 1.2 million. Not close to 2 million. He also only scored 25 goals the season prior to being dealt with a lot of other baggage associated with him. He was far from an elite winger when he was dealt. Toronto dealt Kessel when his value was pretty much at his lowest due to that. At this point, the Sharks are not in such a position. If Karlsson wants out, it depends on the terms he sets out for moving him. However, given who was interested in him before, I'm certain something could be worked out to where they don't need to retain. If they do, it's not going to be anywhere near the 25% you threw out there for that long of a time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad