Proposal: If #65 Karlsson wants out

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Which teams would be interested in Karl today, while being a shell of his former self - and on a huge contract?

What would teams give up and would it be enough for San Jose to move him?

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Highly doubt hes traded San Jose will write this year off sell for some assets and do a retool. Karlsson is still faily young and will likely bounce back. I could see SJ potential sending Burns to Seatle for a 1st bringing up Merkley for the 2nd pair opening up cap space for futures.

Karlsson is almost 30 and his skating, which at one point was God-like, is now very mortal.

Reactions: Chainshot and DJB

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
He needs to finish a season succesfully both from a production perspective but also injuryless. Then he might ger some trade value.

Given what San Jose did for him I don’t see why he should want out.

Ledge And Dairy

Karlsson is almost 30 and his skating, which at one point was God-like, is now very mortal.
30 is young in terms of defense, most are still developing up until 26-28. Karlsson still has many years ahead of him, recent injuries have been the main factor to his fall off not age. He won't be traded and he won't request one right after a big signing.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Highly doubt hes traded San Jose will write this year off sell for some assets and do a retool. Karlsson is still faily young and will likely bounce back. I could see SJ potential sending Burns to Seatle for a 1st bringing up Merkley for the 2nd pair opening up cap space for futures.

I think the Sharks can get more than 1st if they trade Burns to several other teams.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
30 is young in terms of defense, most are still developing up until 26-28. Karlsson still has many years ahead of him, recent injuries have been the main factor to his fall off not age. He won't be traded and he won't request one right after a big signing.

Hardly. The average age for D men in the league is is 28.2 He will start next year 2 years over that age, which means he will be older than 70% of the D men in the league.That is not young, and this is the age when these players really start to fall off.

And yes, age has been far less a factor than injuries. That is even more scary when you consider that the falloff to where he is now has been substantial, and the age factor has not creeped in, and it is about to. And these injuries are not going away. He has permanent damage.

Simply put, there is not a team in the league that will take on that contract without giving something horrible back. So the chance of a trade happening is pretty slim.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
The problem is that the deal isn't even structured well to trade. A least something like Webers contract has basically 0 money in the last few years, or I think Tavares is averaging $6.5 million over the last 3 years after July 1st.

Karlsson is still making $39 million over the last 4 years of the contract... It's ugly.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I can't see San Jose getting a return worth the trouble of trading him unless Karlsson does something to go through some physical transformation to return his mobility.

And even if Karlsson was miraculously able to pull that off, there's still no way San Jose is going to trade him because he'd obviously have his value to the team back.

Karlsson isn't going anywhere, because let's be real... who is going to pick up that contract? Do you think anyone would take him for free or for 11M of cap space that's expiring within a year or two?

I'm doubtful.
Just look at the impact McDavid and Drai's contracts have had on Edmonton and the big signings Toronto has made over the past few seasons.

Cap hell is depressing and once you're in it you aren't getting out unless you find a GM not worthy of managing a peewee team.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I still hated that trade,but it did remove alot of SJ depth ...I remember being told that SJ didnt need any of the pieces they gave up to get him,wonder if they still think this way

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Which teams would be interested in Karl today, while being a shell of his former self - and on a huge contract?

What would teams give up and would it be enough for San Jose to move him?

At 11.6 million with his term Shark are going to have to retain big time . 50% retained for Adam Larsson .

Yes I know the Sharks wouldn't do it but with his contract and his drop in play his contract scares the crap out of me . We just got rid of Lucic . So yeah my offer is probably way to low its me not really wanting him

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I think you’d be hard pressed to find someone that would take the risk without knowing why Karlssons skating is not what it used to be.

He’s nowhere near the same caliber without it. Although he’s still a very very good defenseman.

I’d imagine he still had a few highly productive seasons in him even if he doesn’t go back to the caliber he was in Ottawa

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
EK isnt the issue ,its having two RHD that play the same role....They really should have traded Burns in hindsight before getting EK,but again its always 20/20 ...

Crazy Joe Divola

Jun 20, 2009
EK isnt the issue ,its having two RHD that play the same role....They really should have traded Burns in hindsight before getting EK,but again its always 20/20 ...

Also not the issue. Having only 2-3 top 6 forwards and some of the leagues worst goal tending is.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Unless his play really turns around SJ would have to retain significantly to get his value up.

Poor performance and injury issues combined with his cap and term make him a very risky proposition.

Reactions: go4hockey

Crazy Joe Divola

Jun 20, 2009
Certainly is the issue, if one of them was a LD it would make more sense. Having two #1RDs playing the same role is not optimal.

And the sharks would still suck because we have 2-3 top six forwards on the team and the leagues worst goal tending. Having Burns and EK on the same team isn’t an issue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad