Proposal: If #65 Karlsson wants out

Crazy Joe Divola

Jun 20, 2009
That trade along with EK,s massive contract have sucked away any depth SJ had...They havent had a 1st in what 3 years now??

The trade didn’t really impact their depth where it hurt. Tierney could’ve helped with our awful forward depth this year but losing Pavs, Nyquist and Donskoi and replacing them with rookies hasn’t panned out.

Reactions: themelkman

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
The trade didn’t really impact their depth where it hurt. Tierney could’ve helped with our awful forward depth this year but losing Pavs, Nyquist and Donskoi and replacing them with rookies hasn’t panned out.
Norris has been excellent for us ,21 goals and 38 points in 40 games as a rookie in the ahl,Balcers has been great in the AHL as well shown some at the nhl level....Tierney has been ok and Demelo has improved and is our best RHD ..I still hate the trade from our end ,but there is some solid cheap depth and potential for more in that list

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Karlsson @ 50% retention for Puljujarvi, Russell, 1st, 2nd

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Which teams would be interested in Karl today, while being a shell of his former self - and on a huge contract?

What would teams give up and would it be enough for San Jose to move him?
He’s been fine and Sharks will keep him unless someone is offering extreme overpayment.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Lol. More like without including McDavid or Drai, EDM doesn’t even have the pieces for Karlsson.

You forgot value. Either Huberdeau+A prospect or a whole lot of futures that will basically mortgage your future.

Huberdeau? Really? You're joking, right? McDavid or Drai? Come on kid, stay in school.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Whoever was involved in selling EK that there was a future in San Jose.... oof. Come work for me. I have products of real value to sell to put your rather considerable persuasive powers to use.

I definitely did not expect quite the sudden decline, but anyone with any critical thought could have seen it eventually coming, and probably in not many years down the road.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Erik Karlsson needs to take a year off to fully heal his injuries, like Selanne did. Barring that, he's pretty much dead cap for way too long for even an Ottawa to take on.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Whoever was involved in selling EK that there was a future in San Jose.... oof. Come work for me. I have products of real value to sell to put your rather considerable persuasive powers to use.

I definitely did not expect quite the sudden decline, but anyone with any critical thought could have seen it eventually coming, and probably in not many years down the road.
I’m 100% sure you’ve been saying this since like 2008

Reactions: Gecklund

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Erik Karlsson needs to take a year off to fully heal his injuries, like Selanne did. Barring that, he's pretty much dead cap for way too long for even an Ottawa to take on.
Cant see Ottawa interested anymore,we will continue to rebuild while we wait for our owner to leave

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Huberdeau? Really? You're joking, right? McDavid or Drai? Come on kid, stay in school.
You’re real big calling someone a kid when you can’t even read properly. I said it would take severe overpayment. Never said those teams should do it. That’s what it would take for the Sharks to CONSIDER moving him.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
I’m 100% sure you’ve been saying this since like 2008
Nah, I'm a Leafs fan, but I've really liked SJ, and I've repeatedly wished that Jumbo would come home before he got too old. Maybe this year. Love the way SJ played up until very recently. Like I said in my original post -- I didn't anticipate this kind of decline rapidity. I thought the way they played the game would age well -- which it had up until recently. I think you'd be hard pressed to find me saying anything about SJ on this forum at all, though.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Cant see Ottawa interested anymore,we will continue to rebuild while we wait for our owner to leave

In a couple of years under new ownership when I am hired as the GM of "Your Ottawa Senators", I will run the idea by Dougie Wilson's replacement to obtain EK65 at 50% retained for a Sens cup run led by Laf and Byfield (picked with SJ pick in 2020).

Reactions: topshelf15

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
In a couple of years under new ownership when I am hired as the GM of "Your Ottawa Senators", I will run the idea by Dougie Wilson's replacement to obtain EK65 at 50% retained for a Sens cup run led by Laf and Byfield (picked with SJ pick in 2020).
I think we get one of those two,but I have a feeling SJ will pick it up and make a late push,and we end up drafting outside the top 10,with their former pick

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
In the playoffs, he was only playing 12-15 mins bc he was a complete liability and other teams game plans were to hit him as much as possible. I know he was hurt but it was bad and now the contract looks awful

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
According to insiders, last summer there weren't teams willing to go to the Doughty term/dollar with Karlsson in free agency. With the Sharks going 8 x 11.5, they would probably have to retain to move him.

The only way I can see him getting moved is if Doug Wilson is canned, and the new GM wants to rebuild. Otherwise, what incentive does San Jose have to move Karlsson? They clearly believe in him based on giving him that contract a few months ago. Why would one season where everything is going badly in San Jose convince them that they made the wrong choice?

Without retention, Karlsson would not go for very much right now. That's because there would be so few teams prepared to take him. In this scenario where San Jose wants to start completely fresh, something around Karlsson to Detroit at the draft might make a ton of sense. If I recall, Detroit was one of the teams that was always rumored to be an ideal destination for Karlsson. Maybe that has changed now that they don't have the legendary Swedish core and they are in a rebuild. If Yzerman was the one pushing for Karlsson in Tampa, maybe he'd be interested to bring him into Detroit to build around along with whoever they get at 4th or better in the draft.

If Karlsson is moved at full salary, it would be for a really soft return because so few teams can fit him in at full cap, so few teams will want him at full cap, he has a NTC, and if San Jose moves him knowing all of this it shows that just like with Nashville and Subban - San Jose would be motivated to wash their hands of the player. The team acquiring him would be making a great gamble because a healthy motivated Karlsson in the right coaching system could be a franchise player well worth the 11.5M cap hit.

To San Jose:
2020 32nd Overall
2020 2nd Round Pick
DET 3rd or 4th Best Prospect

In the extremely unlikely scenario that San Jose wants to wash their hands of Karlsson without retaining, and Detroit wants to push this soon to undercut the rebuild, I could see a trade like that. I highly doubt San Jose in any way wants to move on from Karlsson though. If you're Karlsson, it wouldn't be productive to ask for a trade because it's highly unlikely that anything other than a rebuilding team like Detroit or funnily enough Ottawa could fit him in.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
According to insiders, last summer there weren't teams willing to go to the Doughty term/dollar with Karlsson in free agency. With the Sharks going 8 x 11.5, they would probably have to retain to move him.

The only way I can see him getting moved is if Doug Wilson is canned, and the new GM wants to rebuild. Otherwise, what incentive does San Jose have to move Karlsson? They clearly believe in him based on giving him that contract a few months ago. Why would one season where everything is going badly in San Jose convince them that they made the wrong choice?

Without retention, Karlsson would not go for very much right now. That's because there would be so few teams prepared to take him. In this scenario where San Jose wants to start completely fresh, something around Karlsson to Detroit at the draft might make a ton of sense. If I recall, Detroit was one of the teams that was always rumored to be an ideal destination for Karlsson. Maybe that has changed now that they don't have the legendary Swedish core and they are in a rebuild. If Yzerman was the one pushing for Karlsson in Tampa, maybe he'd be interested to bring him into Detroit to build around along with whoever they get at 4th or better in the draft.

If Karlsson is moved at full salary, it would be for a really soft return because so few teams can fit him in at full cap, so few teams will want him at full cap, he has a NTC, and if San Jose moves him knowing all of this it shows that just like with Nashville and Subban - San Jose would be motivated to wash their hands of the player. The team acquiring him would be making a great gamble because a healthy motivated Karlsson in the right coaching system could be a franchise player well worth the 11.5M cap hit.

To San Jose:
2020 32nd Overall
2020 2nd Round Pick
DET 3rd or 4th Best Prospect

In the extremely unlikely scenario that San Jose wants to wash their hands of Karlsson without retaining, and Detroit wants to push this soon to undercut the rebuild, I could see a trade like that. I highly doubt San Jose in any way wants to move on from Karlsson though. If you're Karlsson, it wouldn't be productive to ask for a trade because it's highly unlikely that anything other than a rebuilding team like Detroit or funnily enough Ottawa could fit him in.
As per usual ,Daniel get it perfectly....Its not that EK isnt a great player,but at 11.5 for the next 7 any GM would have to think long and hard before pulling the tigger

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
As per usual ,Daniel get it perfectly....Its not that EK isnt a great player,but at 11.5 for the next 7 any GM would have to think long and hard before pulling the tigger
Great and Sharks won’t move him for seconds, cap dumps, and shit players. End thread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad