IF 3 on 3 happens, which players would be hard to stop ?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
1 forward 2 d
Probably depends on the team/coach. Wings for example would absolutely run 2F 1D, maybe even 3F at times. They already go with 3 forwards in 4-on-4 most of the time, partly because they can't win shootouts and partly because most of their D-men aren't very gifted.

Kirk Mclean

Jan 30, 2013
Vancouver
Sedins are already a nightmare in 4 on 4 OT, would be almost impossible to stop 3 on 3.

I hope this happens, it would improve the Canucks' record for sure.

startainfection*

Probably depends on the team/coach. Wings for example would absolutely run 2F 1D, maybe even 3F at times. They already go with 3 forwards in 4-on-4 most of the time, partly because they can't win shootouts and partly because most of their D-men aren't very gifted.

Also when u have both datsyuk and zetterberg that's pretty much like having 2 more dmen on the ice any way

probertrules24

Jul 10, 2007
Canada
Detroit had a game this year where both teams took a penalty in overtime. Can't recall who they were playing. It was very exciting and fun to watch the line match ups. In the offensive zone they had three forwards and the defensive zone starts they would switch to two D men.

The coaches looked to have a lot of fun with it matching lines. Teams with elite mobile defenseman and forwards that have strong puck possession will do well. Teams will rely heavily on man on man and if somebody gets loose it will lead to a scoring situation.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
I think the Dmen are going to be the most valuable players in a 3 on 3 situation. Guys like Doughty, Keith, and Karlsson are going to be diffusing threats with their speed and quickly transitioning a favorable rush for their team.

GingerJesus28

This is the way
Feb 25, 2015
Saskatchewan
Anyone with speed, really
just give Crosby/Tarasenko/Patty Kane/Karlsson the puck and let them skate lol.

With the high quality of players, if they did 10 mins of 3 on 3, we'd never see another shootout again.

Aceonfire*

This will benefit a lot of players.

NHL should have done this a long time ago.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Erik Karlsson would probably score 99% of the time the Sens wind up in a 3 vs. 3 situation. It would also be cool to see Crosby and Malkin together with Letang. Poor goalies though.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
If anyone thinks that a team will play one forward and two defencemen I am sorry but you are wrong. If any team goes into a three on three overtime period with a defensive mindset will lose more often than not. Three on three in built for offence and you have to go in with the mindset of scoring first because more likely than not there will be a goal.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
Subban
Ovechkin
P. Kane
Karlsson
Crosby
Malkin
Duchene
Tarasenko
Kucherov
T. Johnson
Drouin
Couture
Sedins

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Even if I wasn't a Sens fan, my pick would be Karlsson.

Forwards will definitely benefit from its but no player in the NHL could "man the point" better than EK with some room. It would be insane to watch.

Pat Kane would be my forward pick.

Goalies would hate it, bit not ad much as shootouts.

Smash255

Oct 22, 2003
Farmingdale
none.com
Leddy-Tavares- Okposo. Tavares is absolutely insane in ot on a 4 on 4, what he would be able to do with more space on a 3 on 3 would be amazing. With that being said I personally would rather 10 minutes of 4 on 4 rather than introducing a 3 on 3

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Possession, not just speed, is everything.

Buff, Subban, Karlsson would all be great to watch.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Leddy-Tavares- Okposo. Tavares is absolutely insane in ot on a 4 on 4, what he would be able to do with more space on a 3 on 3 would be amazing. With that being said I personally would rather 10 minutes of 4 on 4 rather than introducing a 3 on 3

Agreed on everything.

Tavares would be absolutely lethal 3 on 3.

probertrules24

Jul 10, 2007
Canada
I would think the team getting the powerplay would just add a player. No way they go 3 on 2, although it would be fun. Hell, let them get all the way to 2 on 1 PPs.

That's what I thought. I like your idea better. Reminds me of my youth at out door rinks when your one buddy didn't show.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
IMO...

Any speedster capable of protecting the puck. This assuming speed overcomes coverage.

Offensive D likely would tear 3v3 apart due to higher options and flexibility of attack, speed and coverage. I assume at this point, it's about figuring out the best players to beat other players. However, at a later date, a coach or team might figure out a strong 3v3 system/strategy using combos of speed, coverage and attack rather than purely specific players capable of attack and speed.

On a side random note, worth contemplating a strategy for pulling out a goalie on the 3v3?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad