IceCaps to be moved to Thunder Bay in 2016 or 2017?

trouty

Oct 3, 2011
most smart people,about 100 or so knew that,heck I knew they were looking to go to Thunder Bay,infact I been watching to see if their arena was getting built.Team going when renewals happen ill pass my 1106 bucks out and enjoy the entertainment,in the end the money is going to the Icecaps not the Jets who im pretty sure are paid

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
It's too bad for the folks in St. John's that have supported the IceCaps, and the Leafs previously. Both times its been for travel to-and-from the parent club. That's understandable, but moving to TB isn't going to be a panacea for them. Travel among the league will remain a hassle and they'll likely have to pay for other team's travel.

It's a 1.5 hour direct flight from Chicago and just under 2 hours from Toronto. I would guess that teams traveling to Thunder Bay will have a game in Chicago before or after.

Frankie

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
some don't care Frankie,its a night out.I buy my season tickets knowing the team can move,it still don't stop my decision,and if 8 more teams roll in and use me ill still support,its entertainment
if that's all you want is a night out, that's great for you.

I think some others would want to feel some attachment to the team and the players. but maybe many are like you, and don't care, just want to get out of the house.

puckguy11

This Space for Rent
Jan 31, 2010
Somewhere in MN
It's a 1.5 hour direct flight from Chicago and just under 2 hours from Toronto. I would guess that teams traveling to Thunder Bay will have a game in Chicago before or after.

I'd figure for the Eastern teams you'd tie Iowa, Milwaukee, and Rockford in that trip as well.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I'd figure for the Eastern teams you'd tie Iowa, Milwaukee, and Rockford in that trip as well.

Wouldn't be too surprised to see the AHL try to put Thunder Bay in the Midwest (and then rearrange the East by moving Grand Rapids somewhere in there) for that reason alone.

Chungo

Dec 7, 2010
Could Thunder Bay even support an AHL team? Population just a tad over 100,000.

The short answer.... YES!

We have the largest amount of NHL players per capita

We sellout Canadian University Hockey with Lakehead Wolves

We do have a extended pop. That brings it up to 110,000.

I'll be looking for season tickets!

Not totally comparable, but think of Thunder Bay as the Green Bay of hockey.

trouty

Oct 3, 2011
if that's all you want is a night out, that's great for you.

I think some others would want to feel some attachment to the team and the players. but maybe many are like you, and don't care, just want to get out of the house.

Oh I never said I never had the attachment Frankie,i got my caps stuff blah blah blah,I just don't assume since we got a team its long term,it was a 4 yr lease,why do I think it was going beyond that,i commited to 4 yrs and got that.The writing was on the wall long time ago what Winnipeg was intending,just need to hit people in Newfoundland in the face before they read between the lines\

Then again Frankie you were a nayslayer of this team before it arrived and hated it coming along with Danny,i dought they got much or any support from you,unless a freebee

and before you question the same for me ive missed 9 games out of 97 games.6 for work,2 in Montreal,and another being sick,that don't include preseason and playoffs or road games

trouty

Oct 3, 2011
The short answer.... YES!

We have the largest amount of NHL players per capita

We sellout Canadian University Hockey with Lakehead Wolves

We do have a extended pop. That brings it up to 110,000.

I'll be looking for season tickets!

Not totally comparable, but think of Thunder Bay as the Green Bay of hockey.

were you the Green Bay of hockey when the OHL left,im confused cause Green bay is sucessful

Chungo

Dec 7, 2010
were you the Green Bay of hockey when the OHL left,im confused cause Green bay is sucessful

[MOD] we never had an OHL team. Atleast in the last 30 years.

Last edited by a moderator:

Frankie

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Oh I never said I never had the attachment Frankie,i got my caps stuff blah blah blah,I just don't assume since we got a team its long term,it was a 4 yr lease,why do I think it was going beyond that,i commited to 4 yrs and got that.The writing was on the wall long time ago what Winnipeg was intending,just need to hit people in Newfoundland in the face before they read between the lines\
you said some don't care about which nhl parent team is in st.john's, and don't care if the parent team changes from year to year. that means those people don't care about having any attachment to the players, or the make up of the team. I would think that's a big part of following a hockey team, but I guess for you and others, any reason to get out of the house is good enough.

Then again Frankie you were a nayslayer of this team before it arrived and hated it coming along with Danny,i dought they got much or any support from you,unless a freebee
I've been to 2 icecaps games, both tickets were given to me for free. it just doesn't interest me very much.

trouty

Oct 3, 2011
you said some don't care about which nhl parent team is in st.john's, and don't care if the parent team changes from year to year. that means those people don't care about having any attachment to the players, or the make up of the team. I would think that's a big part of following a hockey team, but I guess for you and others, any reason to get out of the house is good enough.

I've been to 2 icecaps games, both tickets were given to me for free. it just doesn't interest me very much.

Nope I don't cheer the nhl affiliate I cheat who's wearing the jersey,players change yr to yr regardless,even in junior you get roster overhauls every 3-5 yrs u don't keep those players either.For a man with no interest in the Ahl u always got something to say about it any chance u get.Where I come from if theirs something I don't care about I usually don't be on messege boards I shut the hell up as I don't care.You on the other hand loves putting ur 2 cents in about something u be happy when gone.Till u figure out the chl anit coming back either Echl be here before them

trouty

Oct 3, 2011

Players come and go All the time I get favorate a but I'm not a puck bunny. Players move on, you get more favorates it's how it goes

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006

100k is more than many of the current AHL cities.....

This is funny....

This is even funnier, eastern teams.......

This won't change anything.

If the NHL does expand to places like QC, Hamilton then the rock may be able to get another AHL team, unless there is an NHL team desperate to find a place quickly like the first time, and GF, and Utica.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007

Definitely. The only issue with the city right now is our current rink where our CIS team plays is very old, with very limited parking. There have been discussions of a new arena being built downtown which would seat 5,600 people I believe and seeing how big hockey is in this town I don't think there would be any issue of supporting a team then.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg

Wouldn't be a whole lot different from when the Moose (Winnipeg) were in the AHL. Only major difference is frequency of flights.

Chicago, Rockford, Milwaukee and Iowa are all relatively close geographically in the western expanse of the AHL, Grand Rapids isn't far either.

Players aren't going to love living in Thunder Bay though, won't be a destination for veteran players.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Wouldn't be a whole lot different from when the Moose (Winnipeg) were in the AHL. Only major difference is frequency of flights.

Chicago, Rockford, Milwaukee and Iowa are all relatively close geographically in the western expanse of the AHL, Grand Rapids isn't far either.

Players aren't going to love living in Thunder Bay though, won't be a destination for veteran players.

Veteran players go where they get the most money/the best chance to get called up.

ManOfSteel

Nov 18, 2013
That's too bad. I went to Memorial University in 2012-13 and never got a chance to see a game because it was hard finding tickets. I understand the geography reason though.

I feel bad for St. John's residents. Nothing but good people I've met there.

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
"Many" is overstating it a little. There's probably six or seven, but when you consider metro area populations the number of sub-100K AHL areas is probably two or three.

Forgiveness please, but used most honorable google-fu to compile populations of AHL cities.

Springfield MA 153,552
Manchester NH 110,209
Binghamton NY 46,551
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton PA 41,243+75,809
Albany NY 97,904
Norfolk VA 245,782
Providence RI 178,432
St. John's NL 100,645
Hershey PA 14,257
Worcester MA 182,669
Glens Falls NY 14,609
Syracuse NY 144,170
Portand ME 66,214
Bridgeport CT 146,425
Hartford CT 124,893
Grand Rapids MI 190,411
Toronto ON 2,503,000
Abbotsford BC 123,865
Milwaukee WI 598,916
Rosemont/Chicago IL 4,230+2,715,000
Hamilton ON 504,560
Rockford IL 150,843
Rochester NY 210,532
Charlotte NC 775,202
Oklahoma City OK 599,199
Cleveland OH 390,928
San Antonio TX 1,383,000
Utica NY 61,822
Des Moines IA 206,688
Cedar Park/Austin TX 57,957+842,592

Like 210 said if you take the greater metro areas into account there aren't many under 100,000 in population. Technically Rosemont is the smallest at 4,230, but its pretty much a part of greater Chicago. Hershey and Glens Falls are next 14,000, but they draw very heavily from their surrounding towns. It would be kinda humorous and amazing to picture well over 2/3rds of Hershey's population showing up to every home game though ;)

GareFan18

Jan 10, 2014
Kansas City
I don't understand what the AHL requirements are for an arena. Will Thunder Bay play in an arena that seats 4600?

Even if TB sells out, they would be below league average and ranked about 16th. Heck, there are ECHL and Central league teams that draw more than 4600.

I guess, in this case, the AHL really doesn't get to decide in which market the team plays. However, I would think they could set a minimum capacity for barns in which league teams play.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
I don't understand what the AHL requirements are for an arena. Will Thunder Bay play in an arena that seats 4600?

Even if TB sells out, they would be below league average and ranked about 16th. Heck, there are ECHL and Central league teams that draw more than 4600.

I guess, in this case, the AHL really doesn't get to decide in which market the team plays. However, I would think they could set a minimum capacity for barns in which league teams play.

An AHL team owned by an NHL team can pretty much play wherever it wants provided the arena meets the AHL standards for dressing rooms and other assorted off ice capabilities, and one would think a new facility would definitely meet those standards.

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014

Let's put this in perspective the Binghamton Senators play in the Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena and for the longest time had the lowest capacity in the league with a tad over 4,600. That was trumped by Utica who's arena offcially seats only 4,000 though in practice is slightly less.

To sum up the AHL cares about only 3 things when a franchise is awarded:
Are the locker rooms and facilities adequate?
Do you have a NHL affiliate?
Are you financially solvent enough so your team finishes a season?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad