IceCaps to be moved to Thunder Bay in 2016 or 2017?

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
True North Live has been given the go-ahead as a potential partner for the city's proposed $106.1-million event centre,

The organization, headed by former NHL coach Gary Green, says it plans to partner with Winnipeg’s True North Sports and Entertainment to bring the Winnipeg Jets American Hockey League franchise to Thunder Bay.

The plan will also involve Lakehead University’s hockey team.
http://www.tbnewswatch.com/news/318135/Thunder-Bay-Live-identified-as-possible-event-centre-partner

Definitely sad to hear for Newfie fans if it ends up being true, but for geographic reasons alone not too surprising that the Jets would want their farm team much, much closer.

And changed topic title to reference the team in question.

Also, can't help but think that this is horrific timing on their part, considering that St. John's is hosting the AHL All-Star Game in a few weeks. Talk about likely kneecapping local interest...

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
What NHL team could be a realistic affiliate for a St. John's team based on geography?

Boston?

No clue. St. John's might be out of luck without Winnipeg, as just about everyone else has a far closer logical partner. Boston and Providence is all but perfect for the Bruins.

frontsfan2005

Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
St.John's should try again with the QMJHL.

Unless if the team paid the other QMJHL teams to fly in, it would never work. The Fog Devils had good attendance in their first season, started to tail off by the third season, and the team moved to Montreal (now Blainville-Boisbriand). Apparently they lost close to $1 million in each of their last two seasons. According to Google Maps, it takes 36-37 hours to drive (and a ferry ride) from Rouyn-Noranda to St. John's. To compare, a 36-37 hour drive from Rouyn-Noranda could take you to Las Vegas instead...

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Frustrating. One year left on the lease at Mile One and I really doubt that St John's will stand behind the team next year if this is true.

Trevor3

Nov 16, 2010
Stephenville - YJT
Travel cost is the biggest issue for the Q. The Fog Devils had to subsidize the travel of every team coming to and from the island, which made every game a road game for them in terms of costs.

I've said before that the only way for the Q to work in Newfoundland would be to have 2 teams, so that they can split the travel subsidy for visiting teams and bring the cost down. Unfortunately, we don't have a 2nd city that is really capable of doing it right now.

McGreat One

Jan 1, 2010
http://www.tbnewswatch.com/news/318135/Thunder-Bay-Live-identified-as-possible-event-centre-partner

Definitely sad to hear for Newfie fans if it ends up being true, but for geographic reasons alone not too surprising that the Jets would want their farm team much, much closer.

And changed topic title to reference the team in question.

Also, can't help but think that this is horrific timing on their part, considering that St. John's is hosting the AHL All-Star Game in a few weeks. Talk about likely kneecapping local interest...

Not only because of the All-Star game but the Icecaps are right in the thick of the playoff hunt. If this decision is final then I wouldn't blame the fans if they said "screw this team, they're not loyal to us so why should we be loyal to them?" and just not show up to the final games of the season as well as the playoffs.

IMO this is a complete slap in the face for the city of St. John's as well as province of Newfoundland. The city of St. John's has shown so much dedication to this team. Mile One has sold out every single game since the team came here. That's 7000 tickets every single home game this team has ever played. Not to mention that the city has bled Icecaps colours since day one and this is the thanks we get. As far as I'm concerned Mark Chipman and the rest of True North can take their organization and stick it straight up their ass!!

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
IMO this is a complete slap in the face for the city of St. John's as well as province of Newfoundland. The city of St. John's has shown so much dedication to this team. Mile One has sold out every single game since the team came here. That's 7000 tickets every single home game this team has ever played. Not to mention that the city has bled Icecaps colours since day one and this is the thanks we get. As far as I'm concerned Mark Chipman and the rest of True North can take their organization and stick it straight up their ass!!

A fair enough sentiment. There are a number of Jets fans on our board that hate his move and announcement, myself included. I loved the partnership of our two communities, bound together in a common theme of having lost a team before. The move makes sense from a financial and logistic standpoint, but it's still a cold move to make. I'm sorry, IceCaps fans.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Isn't there always talk about Hamilton moving? Seems like St. John's would be a good AHL affiliate for Montreal.

Most common speculation is that Hamilton will end up in Laval where a new arena is under contruction (Place Bell) which would keep the farm team close (approx 25 km).

If QC gets an NHL team again, I think having their farm team in St. John's would work well.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Per @PaulWiecek...

Mark Chipman says AHL move to Thunder Bay talk is "very preliminary." At least one more season after this in St Johns. #bn

Chipman says earliest Jets farm team would move to TBAY is 2016-17 season, more likey 2017-18. New arena would have to be built first. #bn

Chipman says fan support has been phenomenal in St Johns, but travel logistics have been very difficult moving players up and down. #bn

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
What NHL team could be a realistic affiliate for a St. John's team based on geography?

Boston?

Unless a Quebec or Maritime team is brought into the league, then none. Most teams have close relations with their AHL team in distance and professional relationships. Nearest to Newfoundland and Labrador are Boston, Montreal, Toronto and I'd guess Buffalo?

Boston has Providence, Montreal with Hamilton, Toronto couldn't get much closer if you tried and Buffalo are with Rochester down state. With some rumours about the teams wanting to make a western conference division/conference I don't see a Western Conference team having an affiliate in the East.

trouty

Oct 3, 2011
Winnipegs farm is moving after next season,they wont be here till 2016 or 17 who would want them here,where they will play who cares.Binghamton Senators lease im pretty sure expires after next season,Ottawa could be a opition too

IceCapsHabs

Sep 16, 2012
St. John's
New Affiliate for St. John's ?

After the news today the Jets are pulling out after next season.

What are some of the more likely options for a new NHL affiliate in St. John's, NL ?

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Winnipegs farm is moving after next season,they wont be here till 2016 or 17 who would want them here,where they will play who cares.Binghamton Senators lease im pretty sure expires after next season,Ottawa could be a opition too

Ottawa is happy w/ Binghamton, remember that franchise was in PEI (Charlottetown), that's why the reports are stretching toward 2017-18, if it happens at all.

trouty

Oct 3, 2011
Just stating their a opition,its not like Bingo will have a hard time attracting a team.Theirs direct flights from here to Ottawa 2 hrs.Im not stating Bingo and sens are not renewing its just an opition and prob only opition,no American club will come here

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
If there was an airline that ran a flight from say, St.John to Billy Bishop or Winnipeg, do you think that they'd then keep the team there?

Frankie

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
comes as no surprise at all. the jets only had their farm team in st. john's because they had nowhere else to put it. they were never going to stay in st. john's long term. no nhl team ever will, it just doesn't make sense given the geography.

fan support is irrelevant. maybe now fans in st. john's will understand that. its not our team, just a place to keep a couple of mediocre prospects warm.

maybe some other nhl team will need a place to keep their prospects, but it won't be long term.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
It's too bad for the folks in St. John's that have supported the IceCaps, and the Leafs previously. Both times its been for travel to-and-from the parent club. That's understandable, but moving to TB isn't going to be a panacea for them. Travel among the league will remain a hassle and they'll likely have to pay for other team's travel.

trouty

Oct 3, 2011
comes as no surprise at all. the jets only had their farm team in st. john's because they had nowhere else to put it. they were never going to stay in st. john's long term. no nhl team ever will, it just doesn't make sense given the geography.

fan support is irrelevant. maybe now fans in st. john's will understand that. its not our team, just a place to keep a couple of mediocre prospects warm.

maybe some other nhl team will need a place to keep their prospects, but it won't be long term.

some don't care Frankie,its a night out.I buy my season tickets knowing the team can move,it still don't stop my decision,and if 8 more teams roll in and use me ill still support,its entertainment

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad