Speculation: Ian Mitchell

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
I think Boqvist is a good bet to be at least Klingberg, if not Karlsson.
I think Rafalski is a good comp for Mitchell, but I'd like to look at some other D that might be similar to Mitchell. Another off the top of my head is Kimmo Timonen.

I agree Boqvist should at least Klingberg.

Timonen had decent production for sure however I never recall him being a smooth skater like Rafalski and Mitchell are. Timonen was a great Dman with pretty damn good numbers. My thoughts are that Mitchell is a much better skater and IMO has the ability to be as good if not better defender than Kimo.

Another guy that I see Mitchell as similar to is Oliver Ekman Larsson; OEL is obviously bigger but they are similar in a lot of respects

In either case though if Mitchell turns out to be a Raflaksi, Timonen or OEL we are going to be pleased.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL

Timonen had decent production for sure however I never recall him being a smooth skater like Rafalski and Mitchell are. Timonen was a great Dman with pretty damn good numbers. My thoughts are that Mitchell is a much better skater and IMO has the ability to be as good if not better defender than Kimo.

Another guy that I see Mitchell as similar to is Oliver Ekman Larsson; OEL is obviously bigger but they are similar in a lot of respects

In either case though if Mitchell turns out to be a Raflaksi, Timonen or OEL we are going to be pleased.
Did you see my edit about Visnovsky? Lubo could really skate, IIRC.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
I think Boqvist is a good bet to be at least Klingberg, if not Karlsson.
I think Rafalski is a good comp for Mitchell, but I'd like to look at some other D that might be similar to Mitchell. Another off the top of my head is Kimmo Timonen.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Did you see my edit about Visnovsky? Lubo could really skate, IIRC.

no I didn't cause of this LOUSY website. It takes forever to post....

in any case Lubo most definitely could skate like the wind, I don't think Lubo could hold a candle to what Mitchell already does on the D side of things...

that is what is so good about Mitchell, he is a solid defender with lots of really good offensive upside at a young age, that is what draws me to the Rafalski/OEL comp.

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
I think most of what was written above is predicated upon our hopes and desires for what he will be - not anything more. In other words, people are merely projecting onto Boqvist and Mitchell what they desire to see. Anyway, Boqvist was solid for a rookie last season. To me, he was a modest letdown. He was not what I had hoped - but he was also not a disappointment either; he was ... OK. He was merely solid for a rookie. No more. He was young and one cannot from his rookie season predict much about his future. Often it is not until year 3 or 4 that you get a real sense of what a D-man is and will become. People develop at different rates. So, there is a great deal of hope going forward. What we have seen so far, measured against his peers (D-men of similar draft rank over similar time) has him as... OK. He was many levels below the play of Hughes, Makar and a handful of others in their first seasons. That said, he looked pretty good.

What we know only is that he has potential. I am hopeful that he will be great - of course, all Hawks fans are. But what we have mostly is that - hopeful expectation and not enough data yet to know whether he will be all we hope. We will see.

As an aside, I see Dach much the same. He was pretty good as a rookie - though below what I had hoped. There too, we have hopeful expectation that he will develop into a great player. Once again, not enough data yet and the data we have had is not compelling one way or another. He did not in any way wow us - nor did he flop. He was... solid (and, like Boqvist, at times showed flashes suggesting much more). Just like Boqvist, we will see over time. For now, all we have is hopeful expectations.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
How was Boqvist a let down? Makes little sense to me. I think the opposite as he was much better defensively than expected and the offense was clearly there
and starting come on late.

Didn't even think he would be up this year with the hawks. Also his defense was much better then pretty much everyone stated and expected.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
Didn't even think he would be up this year with the hawks. Also his defense was much better then pretty much everyone stated and expected.
Yep. I’m pretty high on Boqvist and I wasn’t even expecting him to play this many games in the nhl this season. Also wasn’t expecting his defense to be this far along.

also remember how much of a problem this team had transitioning the puck out of its own end when we were down Boqvist for a game or two after we traded Gus?

Calling Boqvist a let down is just flat out inaccurate imo. I was happy with how he performed as a teenager playing defense in the nhl.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Yep. I’m pretty high on Boqvist and I wasn’t even expecting him to play this many games in the nhl this
season. Also wasn’t expecting his defense to be this far along.

also remember how much of a problem this team had transitioning the puck out of its own end when we were down Boqvist for a game or
two after we traded Gus?

Calling Boqvist a let down is just flat out inaccurate imo. I was happy with
how he performed as a teenager playing defense in the nhl.

Agreed. Once they he gained confidence or when the coaches loosened the reigns on him offensively everyone saw the shot, saw the vision and creativity.
It will only get better.

Reactions: Robsker

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
How was Boqvist a let down? Makes little sense to me. I think the opposite as he was much better defensively than expected and the offense was clearly there and starting come on late.

Oh... he was not too much a letdown. And as you noted, he was probably better than most expected in his own zone. Being a letdown is a relative thing - I just had rather high expectations for him. I expected - and not everyone else did - but I expected him not only to be up with the Hawks, but I expected him to be rather day-in, day-out noticeable, especially in activating the offense and in skating the puck rapidly out of his own zone. Against that expectation, he was a modest letdown. I think generally, that he did little in terms of offensive activation - though he did show some signs from time to time. I cannot say that I expected Hughes-like performance, but I expected him to be approaching Hughes - and he was not even remotely close. So... he was solid. he was fine. He had an OK rookie season. But not the season I had hoped for. Remember Hughes was one slot ahead of him in the draft but light-years ahead of him so far. Now, Hughes was exceptional and holding Boqvist to that standard would be unfair - but expecting a reasonable subset of that is not, I think unreasonable. Boqvist looks promising but in no way did he have a standout rookie season - just a solid one. Once more, for many it takes time - especially D-men. I fully expect his future to be bright. Same for Dach. He was fine - he had a decent rookie season and showed some promise. But neither took the place by storm and had excellent rookie seasons. Merely solid ones. Both, however, have great potential and I both hope for and expect rather marked improvement next year from both of them.

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
How was Boqvist a let down? Makes little sense to me. I think the opposite as he was much better defensively than expected and the offense was clearly there and starting come on late.

Oh... he was not too much a letdown. And as you noted, he was probably better than most expected in his own zone. Being a letdown is a relative thing - I just had rather high expectations for him. I expected - and not everyone else did - but I expected him not only to be up with the Hawks, but I expected him to be rather day-in, day-out noticeable, especially in activating the offense and in skating the puck rapidly out of his own zone. Against that expectation, he was a modest letdown. I think generally, that he did little in terms of offensive activation - though he did show some signs from time to time. I cannot say that I expected Hughes-like performance, but I expected him to be approaching Hughes - and he was not even remotely close. So... he was solid. he was fine. He had an OK rookie season. But not the season I had hoped for. Remember Hughes was one slot ahead of him in the draft but light-years ahead of him so far. Now, Hughes was exceptional and holding Boqvist to that standard would be unfair - but expecting a reasonable subset of that is not, I think unreasonable. Boqvist looks promising but in no way did he have a standout rookie season - just a solid one. Once more, for many it takes time - especially D-men. I fully expect his future to be bright. Same for Dach. He was fine - he had a decent rookie season and showed some promise. But neither took the place by storm and had excellent rookie seasons. Merely solid ones. Both, however, have great potential and I both hope for and expect rather marked improvement next year from both of them.
The only parts of Boqvist's season that were a letdown was that he kept getting hurt and it ended early. He was looking so good right at the end.

He was indeed trending in the right direction and that was great to see. You may well be quite correct in that if healthy those last 10-12 games - games he never got to play - may have had him look much improved over his early season self. Again, I in no way am down on the guy. I am, in fact, quite hopeful. I just cannot evaluate his rookie season as being that great. But yes, he was trending and that wa good.

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
As an aside, Dominik Kubalik had a great rookie season and far out-stripped my expectations. of course, he is older and more experienced and that factors in. The young ones will come around. I do not know enough about Mitchell to have expectations yet. but based on what I read, he seems to be a great prospect. So, the Hawks have some promising youth.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Hughes is also almost a full year older and was expected to be ready then. Hes 10 months older actually.

Theres no rational reason to have expected Boqvist last season doing that, and compared to who the hawks didn't draft that people were mad about, as in dobson, Walstrom, or Bouchard. Boqvist had a better producing season despite being younger and expected to he another year out from reaching the nhl than all them.

Reactions: bwana63

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
Been saying his wrister is on par with any sniper of his age group since the London days. I’d venture to say if he stays healthy, I don’t see very many defenseman scoring more total goals than him from next season on.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
As an aside, Dominik Kubalik had a great rookie season and far out-stripped my expectations. of course, he is older and more experienced and that factors in. The young ones will come around. I do not know enough about Mitchell to have expectations yet. but based on what I read, he seems to be a great prospect. So, the Hawks have some promising youth.

I mean yes he's older for a rookie, but he scored 30 goals which is amazing for any player in the league, never mind someone picked up for a 5th rounder. To put that into context there were 17 players this season who have score 30 goals on 11 teams. So 20 teams have zero players who hit that mark. Boston, Toronto, Edmonton, NY Rangers and Chicago are the only teams with two 30-goal scorers. Tampa and Winnipeg were just shy of the mark with 29 goal players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad