Ian Cole ejected for interference, loses fight badly to Tom Wilson

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Just an an FYI: taking one hand off the stick and raising your elbow up to swinging position is not "preparing for contact" .. its preparing to elbow someone which is never a legal move.

FYI: Cole was skating up ice, and Kuznetsov skated into him... What was cole supposed to do?

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
LOL, he didn't cut left though... he was preparring for the contact that was coming towards him... thats it.

Idk what to say besides watch the replay again.. no reason for him to end up left of the faceoff dot, yet he did. I don't dislike Cole, don't like Kuzy or Wilson, but Cole's movement there had nothing to do with the play on the ice.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
FYI: Cole was skating up ice, and Kuznetsov skated into him... What was cole supposed to do?

That happens a million times a game, and yet chicken wings are relatively rare. Why do you think that is?

(hint: it's because there are a ton of ways to deal with that situation besides elbowing a player in the head)

Reactions: JenniferH

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
:clap::clap:

I only wish Wilson had been on the ice to destroy Tanev as well. Kuznetsov missed two weeks after that cheap shot.
Precisely. Remember when Backstrom missed a quarter season because Rene Bourque threw one of the cheapest most chickenshit elbows I’ve personally ever seen in the NHL? People can waylay Wilson all they like for making wreckless hits but wreckless is different than blatant, cheap attempt-to-Injure bullshit. Wilson toes the line but he never goes out of his way to target the head. He makes head contact, sure, but as the result of a forceful hockey play with majority body contact that also happens to cause the head to be impacted. No one would ever argue “Oh Wilson missed everything but the head on that hit” because it simply isn’t true. What Cole did here was gutless and the Intent was obvious. He got exactly what was coming to him.

Reactions: Sam Spade

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Yup, never hit a ballerina
Perhaps if Cole was as familiar with dancing as your reply implies he would have been prepared for Wilson to dance all over his face. It was like Wilson threw a Boogie Bomb right on Cole’s grill and curb-stomped him into stupidity.

Do you think Cole can REFLECT on his bad behavior in a DARK ROOM? Truly an existential question. Like Schrodinger’s Cat.

Reactions: Lurch

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Is Cole not responsible if he could have reacted by shifting away instead of towards Kuz, given his initial path?

Both would have taken less impact combined when moving in different directions (if much contact happened at all) than Kuz could have taken from a head-on collision unsuspecting, you know? Not saying Cole is evil there, but he’s arguably got some responsibility by having the capability to comptlely alter that contact and not risk a harder/head contact.

Similar logic is applied to most other penalties. Not necessarily a suspension but at the very least the penalty he got was the right call, with the ref not having replays on everything.

Yeah, Cole is responsible for the hit. But, his job is to play physical defensive hockey. If you think that Cole should have tried to lessen the impact, you're essentially saying that he should have avoided doing what the Avs pay him to do, simply because there's a chance the opponent might get hurt. I also haven't heard anyone suggest that Wilson should have taken it easy on Cole because Cole might have gotten hurt. Seems like an unrealistic double standard to me.

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
Precisely. Remember when Backstrom missed a quarter season because Rene Bourque threw one of the cheapest most chicken**** elbows I’ve personally ever seen in the NHL? People can waylay Wilson all they like for making wreckless hits but wreckless is different than blatant, cheap attempt-to-Injure bull****. Wilson toes the line but he never goes out of his way to target the head. He makes head contact, sure, but as the result of a forceful hockey play with majority body contact that also happens to cause the head to be impacted. No one would ever argue “Oh Wilson missed everything but the head on that hit” because it simply isn’t true. What Cole did here was gutless and the Intent was obvious. He got exactly what was coming to him.

Never goes out of the way to target the head? How absurd do you want to get?

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
No one would ever argue “Oh Wilson missed everything but the head on that hit” because it simply isn’t true.

that statement by itself could be considered trolling on this board anyway...

as a caps fan i must disagree here... his last suspension he missed everything but the head so... intend or not doesnt matter because the amount of questionable hits piles on. the point of arguing his intentions is gone, you only can embrace him now :laugh: feed of the hate that comes in the next incident :naughty:

Reactions: MacBradley

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Yup, never hit a ballerina

you absolutely can, if you are willing to accept the concequences.

what consequences you ask? I proffer wilson on cole as exhibit A.

The notion that you can take liberties on talent with impunity is one that the players wholly reject. how do I know ? again, exhibit A.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
That happens a million times a game, and yet chicken wings are relatively rare. Why do you think that is?

(hint: it's because there are a ton of ways to deal with that situation besides elbowing a player in the head)

There's absolutely nothing in the video evidence to indicate that he purposefully elbowed him in the head. From an objective point of view, it looks like Cole was trying to tuck his arm to prepare to put a shoulder into the guy skating directly at him, and Kuznetzov's slightly off-balance attempt to avoid the hit put his face on a collision path with Cole's elbow. It looks much more like an accident than a malicious play by Cole.

Reactions: MyBudJT

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
There's absolutely nothing in the video evidence to indicate that he purposefully elbowed him in the head. From an objective point of view, it looks like Cole was trying to tuck his arm to prepare to put a shoulder into the guy skating directly at him, and Kuznetzov's slightly off-balance attempt to avoid the hit put his face on a collision path with Cole's elbow. It looks much more like an accident than a malicious play by Cole.

I view it as Cole saw an opportunity to hold his ground and take the best shot he could given the circumstances. I think Cole did aim high to make the collision a tough one although I don't accept that he aimed at his head. Cole plays the game hard and takes his chances (as evident by his penalty box trips). he got the gate because of the acting job Kuznetsov pulled.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Strong avatar to rationale ratio.

Listen I get that you want Wilson to be the boogeyman and typically your posts are worth about as much time as I’ve given them heretofore, which is to say, none. But this one time I’ll briefly indulge you. The realities are simply contradictory to your opinion on this matter.

I’d like to hear any rational explanation of a single hit Wilson has ever made where he has unmistakably gone out of his way to headshot someone. By my review the closest is the Sundquist hit but even in that case I’ll make just as rational an argument that Wilson got a significant proportion of BODY contact. The fact is Wilson hasn’t ever chicken-winged anyone or made a hit like that shitstain in your avatar that simply “picked” the head, such a play from Wilson simply doesn’t exist, no matter what amount of whining you wish to do to make it so.

It’s a fact that body checks can result in concussions without being blatant headshots and I’d argue most of Wilson’s hits which are deemed dirty fall in this category. I’d say there isn’t a single hit Wilson has ever thrown where the head was the INITIAL or PRINCIPLE point of contact and that’s precisely why the league took that specific language out of that particular classification for Supplemental Discipline. I personally think the Sundquist Hit was Wilson’s worst and most indefensible and closest to a “pure” headshot and I don’t think it’s worth arguing over; Wilson was penalized and suspended for the play, I think we can move on. What Cole did here, Wilson does not do and you cannot show me a single incident in contradiction to that assertion.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Major Penalties are not typically doled out for “accidents.” It was textbook interference that resulted in a significant amount of head contact, Cole knew exactly what he was doing and can now feast on the outcome. I doubt you’d be offering this defense if it was Wilson making this hit.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016

Wilson doesn't chicken wing or elbow people in the face. Maybe if he was a Penguin he'd flap his wings on every hit like everyone else on your team does

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I don’t think Cole was ready for the fight and his hand was caught but damn he got tuned up hard

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Major Penalties are not typically doled out for “accidents.” It was textbook interference that resulted in a significant amount of head contact, Cole knew exactly what he was doing and can now feast on the outcome. I doubt you’d be offering this defense if it was Wilson making this hit.

The response by the refs does not prove that Cole meant to elbow Kuznetzov in the face, nor does the result of the play. Cole would have had to have known exactly how Kuznetzov was going to move in order to try to avoid the hit in order for it to be on purpose, and I refuse to believe that Cole is that smart, or that quick to react.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
I honestly wouldn't be that upset... certainly not calling it a 'chicken****' play.

Kuznetsov was skating towards Cole... Cole reacted to an anticipated collision. Cole didn't look to make a hit, it was simply a reaction to someone skating into him.

Listen, I'm neutral in this... I have no affiliation with the Avs...

Amazing that NHL hockey happens hundreds of times a year and players manage to avoid stuff like this 99.9999999 ect ect ect... percent of the time.

Cole made a stupid f***ing play. I don't think that he was looking for a huge headshot or anything (not that he was avoiding it either), I think that Cole has a dumbass 90's mindset and thought that it was the "gritty" play to dump the other teams star player away from the play and see what he could get. Play stupid games, get stupid prizes.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
The response by the refs does not prove that Cole meant to elbow Kuznetzov in the face, nor does the result of the play. Cole would have had to have known exactly how Kuznetzov was going to move in order to try to avoid the hit in order for it to be on purpose, and I refuse to believe that Cole is that smart, or that quick to react.
Exactly none of that changes the fact that Cole interfered with Kuznetsov and, whether intentional or not, hit him in the head well behind the play. It’s a penalty, a headshot is a cheapshot by nature, and Cole got what was coming to him.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I am not sure I want to get into this but are you sure that Kuznetsov got the final 10 minutes of a tight hockey game in the quiet room for acting?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad