Ian Cole ejected for interference, loses fight badly to Tom Wilson

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Exactly none of that changes the fact that Cole interfered with Kuznetsov and, whether intentional or not, hit him in the head well behind the play. It’s a penalty, a headshot is a cheapshot by nature, and Cole got what was coming to him.

I guess I am wondering, If Wilson hadn't been on the ice and beat him for the hit, would all these Cole defenses even be here?

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Exactly none of that changes the fact that Cole interfered with Kuznetsov and, whether intentional or not, hit him in the head well behind the play. It’s a penalty, a headshot is a cheapshot by nature, and Cole got what was coming to him.

I'm not saying that Cole didn't interfere with him or didn't hit him in the face. I just don't believe that Cole purposefully meant to do it. Kuznetzov tried to avoid the hit, and put his face in the path of Cole's elbow. Yes, Cole is still guilty of interference, and should have been penalized, but I think the major and Wilson's response was based more on Kuznetzov's sell job, and not really on what Cole actually did on the play.

Reactions: egelband

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I'm not saying that Cole didn't interfere with him or didn't hit him in the face. I just don't believe that Cole purposefully meant to do it. Kuznetzov tried to avoid the hit, and put his face in the path of Cole's elbow. Yes, Cole is still guilty of interference, and should have been penalized, but I think the major and Wilson's response was based more on Kuznetzov's sell job, and not really on what Cole actually did on the play.

Again...you are suggesting that Kuznetsov sell it SO well that he kicked himself out of the last 10 mins of regulation.

Reactions: JenniferH

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Again...you are suggesting that Kuznetsov sell it SO well that he kicked himself out of the last 10 mins of regulation.

I'm suggesting that he returned to the game and scored the game winner, so it's plausible that he may not have been as seriously injured as he made it appear when he was writhing on the ice holding his face. Cole got a major and a thrashing because Kuznetzov laid on the ice holding his face, not because what he did was malicious or intentional.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I'm suggesting that he returned to the game and scored the game winner, so it's plausible that he may not have been as seriously injured as he made it appear when he was writhing on the ice holding his face. Cole got a major and a thrashing because Kuznetzov laid on the ice holding his face, not because what he did was malicious or intentional.

Its apparent that he was not seriously injured. Its not apparent that is proof that he was faking it. If he was faking it, He got a 10 minute penalty for it. The Capitals did have a failed pp during that time and as one of the better offensive players in the league that he could have provided the winning goal during regulation.

Recently Ovechkin ran into Oshie. He laid on the ice in pain. Holding his head. He was sent out for concussion protocol and missed a good 10 minutes of the game. Do you think he was trying to sell something there? Do you think its is evident because he returned to the game?

Reactions: JenniferH

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
Strong avatar to rationale ratio.

Listen I get that you want Wilson to be the boogeyman and typically your posts are worth about as much time as I’ve given them heretofore, which is to say, none. But this one time I’ll briefly indulge you. The realities are simply contradictory to your opinion on this matter.

I’d like to hear any rational explanation of a single hit Wilson has ever made where he has unmistakably gone out of his way to headshot someone. By my review the closest is the Sundquist hit but even in that case I’ll make just as rational an argument that Wilson got a significant proportion of BODY contact. The fact is Wilson hasn’t ever chicken-winged anyone or made a hit like that ****stain in your avatar that simply “picked” the head, such a play from Wilson simply doesn’t exist, no matter what amount of whining you wish to do to make it so.

It’s a fact that body checks can result in concussions without being blatant headshots and I’d argue most of Wilson’s hits which are deemed dirty fall in this category. I’d say there isn’t a single hit Wilson has ever thrown where the head was the INITIAL or PRINCIPLE point of contact and that’s precisely why the league took that specific language out of that particular classification for Supplemental Discipline. I personally think the Sundquist Hit was Wilson’s worst and most indefensible and closest to a “pure” headshot and I don’t think it’s worth arguing over; Wilson was penalized and suspended for the play, I think we can move on. What Cole did here, Wilson does not do and you cannot show me a single incident in contradiction to that assertion.

Thank you for dedicating time to my post. I'll surely sleep better at night knowing a Wilson apologist gave me the time of day.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Thank you for dedicating time to my post. I'll surely sleep better at night knowing a Wilson apologist gave me the time of day.

That’s good to hear. Perhaps that better sleep you’ll be getting will help you actually respond to my inquiry. You know, informing us all of a SINGLE incident where Wilson has gone out of his way to deliver a headshot ostensibly without a majority of BODY CONTACT, precisely as I implored you do.

Don’t worry I won’t lose any sleep waiting for your response as I’m sure with the criteria I’ve presented you, you don’t have one.

Reactions: Heath and JenniferH

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Its apparent that he was not seriously injured. Its not apparent that is proof that he was faking it. If he was faking it, He got a 10 minute penalty for it. The Capitals did have a failed pp during that time and as one of the better offensive players in the league that he could have provided the winning goal during regulation.

Recently Ovechkin ran into Oshie. He laid on the ice in pain. Holding his head. He was sent out for concussion protocol and missed a good 10 minutes of the game. Do you think he was trying to sell something there? Do you think its is evident because he returned to the game?

Thinking his reaction was disproportional to the severity of what Cole actually did isn't the same as claiming he's faking. I know from personal experience that getting elbowed in the face sucks but Kuznetzov also missed time earlier in the year because of head trauma. If there are still lingering issues, any contact to the head, even something minor, can have devastating results. In this situation, the refs assessed the penalty based on the end result, and Wilson delivered a beating based on the end result, but if the end result is at all amplified due to a pre-existing condition, maybe the end result isn't the best indicator of the severity of the infraction. Not saying Cole is totally innocent here, just that his actions aren't the only thing contributing to the end result.

Uncle Bill

Know it all
Sep 21, 2011
After rewatching cole hit kuznetzov several times it appears cole was looking directly at kuznetzov and lowered the boom on him with an elbow, hitting him in the head. It appeared cole intentionally meant to interfere with kuznetzov even though kuznetzov did not have the puck.

The contact was with kuznetzov’s head, which certainly could have dazed him. I don’t believe it was a dive and because it was head contact, and the player went down, the nhl concussion protocol was followed.

It simply doesn’t look like a dive.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
I am not sure I want to get into this but are you sure that Kuznetsov got the final 10 minutes of a tight hockey game in the quiet room for acting?

You have to stay out regardless of being injured or not, if one of the concussion protocol watchers in the stands thinks you stayed on the ice too long.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think the point he is making is that Kuzy would have had to go through concussion protocol even if it was a dive.

Yes, my point is that had he been faking and popped right back up instead, he likely would not have been tagged for concussion protocol. If he was faking it to sell the penalty, he sold him self out of the game for the final 10 minutes.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Yes, my point is that had he been faking and popped right back up instead, he likely would not have been tagged for concussion protocol. If he was faking it to sell the penalty, he sold him self out of the game for the final 10 minutes.
Ive seen it happen before where a player faked it and had to go to concussion protocol. He didnt want to go but they made him.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
When Ov ran into Oshie he didn't want to go but they made him. Was he faking?
Hmmmmm where did that come from? Do you realize that I didnt say that Kuzy was faking on the play in question? All I did was say it was possible to fake the injury and then still have to go through concussion protocol and that I had seen it before. I think the player may have been Gaudreau.
I'm not sure why you brought up the play when Ovie and Oshie ran into each other. Sounds like you are getting defensive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad