Post-Game Talk: I Will Have The Soup With That Win

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Campbell keeps making those timely saves and its fueling Leafs to victory. Leafs are loaded with offensive talent they just need someone to have their backs consistently and they will be a force to recon with even with their PP ice cold.

I'm not sure we win some of these recent game if Freddy is net.

LFCTML

Nov 29, 2019
Felt like game 1 of what feels like an inevitable playoff series.

Fun game! Great goaltending both ways.
My thoughts as well. We desperately need the intensity of games like this right now.

As much as I want us to fix our powerplay, learning to grind out wins in games like this is going to be immensely valuable come playoff time. God knows we wont be getting 5+ powerplays in come playoff time anyway.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Galchenyuk should be on PP1, we need another shooter as teams know Matthews is our only threat.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
No he didn't, Campbell played well. A goalie steals a game when his team gets outplayed and still wins and that's not what happened. The Leafs outshot Winnipeg, not by a lot, it was a pretty even game and not stolen by any goalie.

Yeah this is the way I saw it too. Really good game, both teams played well, very evenly played, a tie was a just result (yes we won the shootout lottery), this felt a bit like a playoff game.

Campbell faced what was probably his toughest test as a Maple Leafs and passed with flying colors. This was his probably his best game of the season and that question mark next to his name shrank a fair bit. With each game he plays my confidence in him grows and my optimism going into the playoffs grows as well.

Winnipeg has a very good team and they are the biggest obstacle in our path to the final four. This narrative that they will be an easy out for us because their D sucks is a joke. They're talented, experienced and have great goaltending. We will very likely have to play them and that should be a very interesting series.

Couldn't have asked for more really. Campbell is the most important guy on the team right now and we got to see him tested multiple times and he was great. And giving up a point to WPG was worth it to see him stop a couple of shootout chances. And the shootout goal was one of the prettiest I've seen.

Nicely done boys!!

One more thought - Hyman the Olympian! That never occurred to me before but why not. Not sure when they name the teams but I hope it's after his contract is negotiated.

Edit - I almost forgot we failed on the PP, again. In OT no less, 4 on 3 and even then we can't score. And I'm not ever mad. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: egd27 and hoglund

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Thought Nylander has one of his worse games in a while.

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
Still had 6 shots on goal. I swear the 5 on 5 shooting % has to turn around soon for these guys. It's getting ridiculous.

agreed .. the leafs have been dominant over the last 2 weeks. ... incredibly high amount of high danger chances ....... they have been getting goalied, getting no puck luck and hitting an unusually large amount of posts per game.

im not to worried about the offiense at this point. Pucks will start going in.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Jets fans when Helly stole 3 points in the last series "Haha the goalie is part of the team ! better team won !"

Jets fans when Leafs take 4/4 points "The better team lost, Campbell stole the game"

Fwiw, I agree Campbell stole the game. It was a fun game but sloppy af. Campbell saved our asses in the 1st period, I liked our 2nd period. 3rd period was 50/50, they had a 5 minute span where Campbell absolutely robbed them a good 3-4 times and I mean robbed. We're fortunate to come away with 2 points there with some of the breakdowns that we had.

Marner/Matthews/Hyman looked great, the rest of the forwards were pretty underwhelming. Felt like every other line was pinned down the entire game. We generated a lot of chances, just couldn't bury them. 2 posts and Helly made a few huge saves. Gotta tighten up, can't give up that many chances and be pinned down that bad and expect to win. Feels kind of good to have a goalie who can steal games when the team is off but overall not happy with the team effort, especially Tavares/Nylander.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
2 games against Winnipeg and 2 games against Calgary. This week, including back to back.

We play 4 games with a back to back in almost every week, for 4 weeks. This team can't handle tough schedules, they will be struggling.

I'm worried about the next few weeks.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
2 games against Winnipeg and 2 games against Calgary. This week, including back to back.

We play 4 games with a back to back in almost every week, for 4 weeks. This team can't handle tough schedules, they will be struggling.

I'm worried about the next few weeks.

The next 3 weeks are tough no doubt. Lightens up nicely the last 2-3 weeks tho.

Also the Canucks situation may end up alleviating this tough stretch if those games get pushed back.

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
Squeaking out low-scoring wins combined with an ineffective PP, suggests goaltending is now masking other problems that will need to be fixed for us to have any chance.

I understand your concerns. The PP will come. This team has way too much talent for it not to improve.

In the past, the team use to get out shot and Andersen would save the day. In most games this year, this team is limiting chances and losing because the goalies were performing below league average.

This recent 7 games tells me that while the offence is not there, the defence and goaltending are keeping the team winning. It’s only a matter of time for the goals to start piling up again.

All in time for the playoffs. This is why I am feeling very upbeat and optimistic about this team unlike teams in the past 4 years.

Reactions: Gallagbi and zeke

3blizzard4

Mar 29, 2021
Toronto
I thought it was a hard fought game but very boring. Hate watching Winnipeg play. There is no flow, rhyme or rhythm to the game. It's always a long dragged out game. And last night I thought the ice was horribly bad. The puck was rolling everywhere.

In the North I enjoy watching these opponents in this order:

1) Edmonton
2) Montreal
3) Ottawa
4) Calgary
6) Winnipeg

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Still had 6 shots on goal. I swear the 5 on 5 shooting % has to turn around soon for these guys. It's getting ridiculous.

Not just 6 shots on goal but 2 gorgeous set ups for both Galy and Tavares that they really should have buried.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
When was the last time we had a goalie be the first star that was not named jack Campbell....?

great performance by jack. Stole us 2 pts in a game we probably didn’t deserve a single in my opinion. Nice to be on the other end of that storyline for a change

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
When was the last time we had a goalie be the first star that was not named jack Campbell....?

great performance by jack. Stole us 2 pts in a game we probably didn’t deserve a single in my opinion. Nice to be on the other end of that storyline for a change

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto

Didn't deserve a single point? The Leafs had far more dangerous offensive chances than Winnipeg did.

Why didn't they deserve a point? Hellebuyck played just as well as Campbell did. He stopped more total shots and high end attempts.

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
You can take it the same way. Just because they swept the lighting the year before doesn't mean they were a good team

Leafs got shutout twice in their own building.

Not much has changed from that team to this team other than cosmetics. Be happy with these type of wins

Instead of kapanen we have mikaheyv. Exactly the same player

Instead of goat we have Engvall. Slight upgrade

Is simmonds really that much better than AJ ? Or even Thornton?

Trevor Moore throws more hits than Simmonds. He's just too slow for today's game. Clifford was unfortunately better than him

But you think this is a better team?

Our PP has the same structure from last year.

Only upgrade really is Brodie
No marincin, injured gardiner, Ceci, injured muzzin, and Barrie. We are way better this year..

Last edited:
Reactions: kb

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Not just 6 shots on goal but 2 gorgeous set ups for both Galy and Tavares that they really should have buried.
It's so weird that these guys never have a big night. They might get one or two points but they never seem to go off for a 4 or 5 spot especially when they deserve it.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
It's so weird that these guys never have a big night. They might get one or two points but they never seem to go off for a 4 or 5 spot especially when they deserve it.

It should come. They've been tremendously unlucky through these 37gms.

5v5 on-ice shooting percentage

Matthews 10.5
Marner 11.1
Hyman 9.9

Tavares 5.8
Nylander 6.0
Galchenyuk 6.7

Kerfoot 9.1
Spezza 10.5
Thornton 9.9

Engvall 8.2
Mikheyev 6.6
Simmonds 4.6

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I don't think either resulted in a SOG, which doesn't help them.

Feels like Tavares hands have come back around everywhere but the hashmarks down. He's a little clunky there right now.

Reactions: zeke

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad