Post-Game Talk: I Will Have The Soup With That Win

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
they need to work towards getting a shot on goal quicker. And yeah I hate that drop pass they do where you're watching the puck slide for 10 seconds till the back guy picks it up. it's not working so stop it and do something else.

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
In a perfect world we can let Freddy walk and save cap, and not that I hate Mo but if some of our drafting works out well we can replace him as well.

These kind of moves open up cap for us to sign Hyman and add to the team.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Squeaking out low-scoring wins combined with an ineffective PP, suggests goaltending is now masking other problems that will need to be fixed for us to have any chance.

I agree that the PP is a problem. The low scoring games are expected this time of the year and into the playoffs though. It's why I'm of the opinion that this teams defensive game should be their identity, they won't be running and gunning. Possession is their game.

Six games tonight, highest scoring game was 3-2, with one still in the third. Teams are tightening up and the grind is on.

With solid goaltending and commitment to defense, I like this teams chances for a deep run.

Reactions: Auston 316

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Squeaking out low-scoring wins combined with an ineffective PP, suggests goaltending is now masking other problems that will need to be fixed for us to have any chance.
No it means we're winning with a different style than we normally do.

Leafs' defense has been lights out in the last month. Tonight was one of the very few nights where it wasn't spectacular.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Great game by Campbell. Brodie is easily our best defenceman. Great hockey sense. Love the guy but Thornton looks like he is playing old timers hockey.

Fourth line was so much better with Boyd. Spezza. Petan.

Last edited:
Reactions: AvroArrow

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
Their elite players seldom back check. They talk smack about Matthews and Marner but their players float in their own zone. I wonder how good that team would be without Helle, Lowry and Copp.

I wonder how good the leafs would be without Matthews and Marner or the Oil with McD and Drei and so on and so forth.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Great game by Campbell. Brodie is easily our best defenceman. Great hockey sense. Love the guy but Thornton looks like he is playing old timers hockey.

Fourth line was so much better with Boyd. Spezza. Petan.

Boyd was awful.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
PP needs to work on getting the puck low more. Too much point stuff. Very easy to defend.

cipher

Jun 24, 2016
Id say Soup has earned the privilege of putting up about 6 shitty games before we look to switch him off the #1 position.

Spread the word, every Leaf fan should be repeating this as a mantra.

Anderson has 8 games this year where he's let in 4 or more goals. Campbell has yet to allow more than 3 in any game. Freddy's poor play/injury and Campbell's stellar play mean Soup has earned the starting position and a bunch of mulligans when he finally has bad games.

Think about this, at a time when we have our best defense in years, Anderson has a .897 save percentage and is lagging in most goaltender metrics:

Save Percentage (SV%) - 63rd overall
Goals Saved Above Average (GSAA) - 70th overall
Really Bad Starts (RBS) - Tied for 3rd worst
Quality Start Percentage (QSP) - 63rd overall

2020-21 NHL Goalie Statistics | Hockey-Reference.com

Leaf4Life79

Jun 30, 2018
St. Thomas, ON
Spread the word, every Leaf fan should be repeating this as a mantra.

Anderson has 8 games this year where he's let in 4 or more goals. Campbell has yet to allow more than 3 in any game. Freddy's poor play/injury and Campbell's stellar play mean Soup has earned the starting position and a bunch of mulligans when he finally has bad games.

Think about this, at a time when we have our best defense in years, Anderson has a .897 save percentage and is lagging in most goaltender metrics:

Save Percentage (SV%) - 63rd overall
Goals Saved Above Average (GSAA) - 70th overall
Really Bad Starts (RBS) - Tied for 3rd worst
Quality Start Percentage (QSP) - 63rd overall

2020-21 NHL Goalie Statistics | Hockey-Reference.com

100% agree, a no brainer to make Campbell our #1 and run with him whilst he is hot! be a f***ing stupid thing not too! Just hope he can stay healthy!

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
I wonder how good the leafs would be without Matthews and Marner or the Oil with McD and Drei and so on and so forth.

That was hands down the poorest rebuttal I have ever heard.

Also stay on the Jets board. Your mods complained about Leafs going over there and understandably so.

Nobody likes a hypocrite.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
100% agree, a no brainer to make Campbell our #1 and run with him whilst he is hot! be a f***ing stupid thing not too! Just hope he can stay healthy!

Leafs have played 37 games. Campbell has played in 8. Lets not forget the guy that got you to 1st place. Freddy grinded through a groin injury to get the Leafs wins when Campbell was no where to be found.

So in a team sport where every guy has to contribute, Freddy did so to the extent that he could. Lets give the guy some love and respect.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Leafs have played 37 games. Campbell has played in 8. Lets not forget the guy that got you to 1st place. Freddy grinded through a groin injury to get the Leafs wins when Campbell was no where to be found.

So in a team sport where every guy has to contribute, Freddy did so to the extent that he could. Lets give the guy some love and respect.

430bed132be7a76d5e97915b4e465500.gif

Reactions: cipher

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021

I respect Freddie but I think we need to roll with the hot hand. Let players earn their playing time.

Reactions: The Hanging Jowl

cipher

Jun 24, 2016

You think Freddy's 13-8-2 record and .892 save percentage got us to first place? The Leafs have carried him this year as the improved defensemen and team defense is the reason we are in first. His stats are terrible for a team that plays as well as we do.

Leaf4Life79

Jun 30, 2018
St. Thomas, ON

Sure...

But Campbell is making history. 8-0 straight? Also, our team was playing much better back when Fred was letting in muffins.. our PP was working and Matthews was RED hot!... lets not forget that either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad