Post-Game Talk: I Will Have The Soup With That Win

HomerJLeafs

i just hope we make the POs
Dec 27, 2017
I LOVE JACK CAMPBELL!!!
it is so nice when WE have the BETTER goalie in a game
Jack is so awesome!!!
we had no luck, we had like 4 big irons (65 and 12, 11 too if i remember correctly) and Willy had a great open net in the 2nd period, i like the 2 points very much.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Leafs have played 37 games. Campbell has played in 8. Lets not forget the guy that got you to 1st place. Freddy grinded through a groin injury to get the Leafs wins when Campbell was no where to be found.

So in a team sport where every guy has to contribute, Freddy did so to the extent that he could. Lets give the guy some love and respect.

Andersen has a sub-.900. The Leafs are in 1st place despite his play, not because of him.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
jb.gif

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
That move has been there for several years.

4 guys standing flat footed and 1 guy trying to step over the blue line is not a good look.
If you think zone entries are the issue then I question wtf you're watching. The zone entries are fine, sometimes, excellent. It's the hesitance once they gain the zone and shoot that's the problem. I dont get people that hate on the drop pass on the PP when its clearly effective. I guess they should go back a dump and chase method. *old man yells at cloud*

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
If you think zone entries are the issue then I question wtf you're watching. The zone entries are fine, sometimes, excellent. It's the hesitance once they gain the zone and shoot that's the problem. I dont get people that hate on the drop pass on the PP when its clearly effective. I guess they should go back a dump and chase method. *old man yells at cloud*

It is not effective.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Friend, the Leafs win one of the more entertaining games of the year and this is your take? It's sort of like bitching when your friend buys a round of beer for the table and you're pouting it's not an expensive single malt. Come on, mate, that was a fun game to watch, enjoy it :)

Every game I watched last year was entertaining. Until I watched them in playoffs

For a third line they are soft and they have no scoring ability. Go watch some tempa games and some Vegas games and find out how bug boys play

I have high expectations of this team.. I don't get impressed with pretty plays anymore mate

Even in wins its oknto criticize and review what's not working

If we didn't do well with kapanen last year and the years before you think you are gonna do better with Mikaheyv on 3rd ?

Kapanen atleast used to hit and push back

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Every game I watched last year was entertaining. Until I watched them in playoffs

They had a good playoff series too. The defense was transformative. They were knocked out in 5/5 by a team that swept the Lightning core the year before they won the cup.

Just because they lost the series doesn’t give free reign to trash the entire season. Have some perspective.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
They had a good playoff series too. The defense was transformative. They were knocked out in 5/5 by a team that swept the Lightning core the year before they won the cup.

Just because they lost the series doesn’t give free reign to trash the entire season. Have some perspective.

You can take it the same way. Just because they swept the lighting the year before doesn't mean they were a good team

Leafs got shutout twice in their own building.

Not much has changed from that team to this team other than cosmetics. Be happy with these type of wins

Instead of kapanen we have mikaheyv. Exactly the same player

Instead of goat we have Engvall. Slight upgrade

Is simmonds really that much better than AJ ? Or even Thornton?

Trevor Moore throws more hits than Simmonds. He's just too slow for today's game. Clifford was unfortunately better than him

But you think this is a better team?

Our PP has the same structure from last year.

Only upgrade really is Brodie

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
I do get the sense that being far too soft a team will be our playoff Achilles heel yet again. Hope I'm wrong.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
You can take it the same way. Just because they swept the lighting the year before doesn't mean they were a good team

Not much has changed from that team to this team other than cosmetics. Be happy with these type of wins

Trevor Moore throws more hits than Simmonds. He's just too slow for today's game. Clifford was unfortunately better than him

So we're upgraded, we had a chance last year, we have a chance this year. Hyman and Matthews also playing on another level. The team D, as mentioned, is miles better than under Babcock. Just eliminating the stretch pass and changing to having forwards support the D on the zone exits has been a fantastic change.

Concrete improvements:
1. More mileage playing under new coach has had tangible benefits
2. Transformation in Holl
3. Added our now best defensemen in Brodie
4. Matthews playing on another level
5. Hyman playing on another level
6. Better forward depth (like you said Engvall > Goat)

When you're a young team, one of your year over year improvements is your young core gets better. We're seeing that.

Wildcard improvements:
1. Campbell on fire. He may stay healthy and would provide a much needed improvement over Andersen.
2. If we're just healthier than last season, we probably beat CBJ. Let's not understate the impact of losing Muzzin last season's series. It wouldn't be unusual to say we're planning to have added Muzzin + Brodie this season in the playoffs.
3. Simmonds returns to pre-injury form
4. Robertson or Sandin taking another step

If our PP were clicking right now you wouldn't have much to say. I get it, it's a long drought. We'll get through it.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
My first move would be to put Galchenyuk on the PP. They always cheat to Matthews but another pure shooter would really help with that.
Agreed. Galchenyuk's shot that hit the post was an absolute bullet. This is what's sorely lacking from the point on the PP.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
I was nonplussed by the Brodie addition, but man I was dead wrong. He has been just what the doctor ordered for the blue line.

One wonders how last season might have gone differently if we had been able to acquire him for Kadri instead of Barrie.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Zone entries are the least of our PP problems, we gain the zone with ease, Marner normally. It’s what we do after we set up, no issues getting there.

Reactions: LeafsGuy16

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

You know what's funny? Many cup winners are the same team that lost previously with minor, sometimes no, tweaks.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Yeah, Leafs certainly dominated physically and mentally over the other teams these past years. You can see it on the number of playoff rounds we won.
We have never lost a playoff round due to "softness" or a lack of physicality. That's not how you win playoff rounds.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
You know what's funny? Many cup winners are the same team that lost previously with minor, sometimes no, tweaks.

Defence is also a very teachable thing.

Teams can improve defensively internally by eliminating bad habits.

Our puck support, backpressure and attention to detail has gotten much better this season.

Sure some of our improved play defensively is personnel but it's also getting consistent buy-in to actually do alot of the not so fun things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad