I think the Wings have turned the corner

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan
We turned a corner at the end of last season, when we kept winning games despite Larkin, Bertuzzi, Fabri, Ryan, etc... all being injured. Vrana can make things happen on his own, Zadina, Ras, and Smith all making big steps. Decent depth players in Staal, Stetcher, and Namestikov. We just filled our biggest holes this offseason and we will have a decent amount of young guys coming in that could surprise us.

I think when healthy, we will fight for the final playoff spot. When the injury bug hits we won't be able to keep it up, but when healthy we will be an actual hockey team.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Slightly worried wings too good need to get a lotto pick over next 2 seasons

Teams that are definitely better than us next season:
Colorado
Vegas
Carolina
Florida
Pittsburgh
Toronto
Washington
Tampa Bay
NYI

Teams that are probably better than us next season:
Minnesota
Boston
Edmonton
Nashville
Winnipeg
St. Louis
NYR
Dallas
Chicago
NJD
Vancouver

Teams that could be about as good as us:
Calgary
Philadelphia
Montreal
Ottawa
Los Angeles
San Jose
Columbus
Anaheim

Teams that are probably worse than us next season:
Buffalo
Arizona
Seattle

I see very little potential for us to climb out of the bottom 10 next season.

Reactions: Ishad and Ulysses31

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
Lol so cutt throat these days, count over a dozen teams in the east: TB, nyr, florida, canes, flyers, cats, nyi, pitt, caps, devils, leafs , canadiens, boston that that are making moves as if they expect to be playoff teams

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I would generally agree with the evaluation above. I don't think we are bottom 5, but I also don't think we will be a true bubble team next year either. With that said I think we are in the process of making the climb out. I think we'll get another lottery pick next year, but it may be our last. Stevie will need to bring in a better systems coach, but I think we could be a wildcard team the following season and potentially be an upset kind of team. I don't see this team being an easy out next year, and I think that is a big deal. I don't want to see that culture develop that has killed every rebuild Az and Buffalo have attempted.

I really think we are building like Boston. We are going to be a defense first team, with some key scoring figures. We now have a couple of good young goalies in the system. Seider looks to be our best prospect since at least Kronwall if not Zetterberg (/ Grigerenko). Larkin is a solid 2 way center that still has room for improvement. We have some good scoring Wingers, and a lot of Dmen in the system that I like as well.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Just for perspective, if Yzerman doesn't add anymore forwards that have turned 30, they'll enter next season with the lowest number of 30YO+ forwards on the opening roster since 1993-94.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Colorado
Vegas
Carolina
Florida
Pittsburgh
Toronto
Washington
Tampa Bay
NYI

Minnesota
Boston
Edmonton
Nashville
Winnipeg
St. Louis
NYR
Dallas
Chicago
NJD
Vancouver

Calgary
Philadelphia
Montreal
Ottawa
Los Angeles
San Jose
Columbus
Anaheim

Buffalo
Arizona
Seattle

I think San Jose, Columbus and Anaheim are in the "teams that are probably worse than us" section.

Columbus lost Jones, still has no center, and traded Atkinson, a solid defensive player, for Voracek, a not so solid defensive player. And they still have a case of the Laines. Also now their defense has more Boqvist than a team should have.
San Jose has made no meaningful improvements. We actually did with the Leddy and Suter acquisitions.
Anaheim...yeesh...talk about being without a paddle.
I also think that Montreal without Price, Danault and Weber, and now signing Hoffman, are going to be considerably easier to play against.

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
Upgraded from straight dumpster fire to still bad but excited to watch. Baby steps.

Reactions: Lil Bert

Lil Bert

Oct 14, 2018
I'm still all in on the tank mentality for the next year or two while we have top prospects like Bedard coming in. Larking looks a lot more like a defensive center than an offensive threat but still highly regarded around the league. I would not be opposed to trading him for some picks in 2022-23 season if Ras and Veleno make meaningful strides and can handle the league as 2C's. We tank, get a really high pick and come away with some more ELITE talent which we still need badly.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I am loving what is going on but as far as on ice performance I am not sure yet. I think we need this season's picks to pan out as projected. They are shinny and new right now so of course it really feels that way. But NHL development is a hard unpredicatble road.

I worry a littlle that Yzerman is projecting us out of the lottery sooner than we needed to open a legit window. If things progress even with average success its quite possible we are going to try to have a core without a single top 5 pick. I think I am used to feeling like we need top 5 so that our previous GM's terrible first round drafting couldn't miss.

It's still hard to adjust to having such a savy GM after hating Holland for so many years so I am slowly coming around. Maybe we really don't need top 5 because we have a GM that can bring in that talent in other ways. But let's all recall that Tampa had top 5 tallent that was instermental in their success.

We'll see but I can not discount that its pretty darned exciting to be a wings fan. I think this is one of the most hopefull offseasons we have had since the announcement that Yzerman was coming aboard.

Reactions: AD1066

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I worry a littlle that Yzerman is projecting us out of the lottery sooner than we needed to open a legit window. If things progress even with average success its quite possible we are going to try to have a core without a single top 5 pick. I think I am used to feeling like we need top 5 so that our previous GM's terrible first round drafting couldn't miss.
Lucas Raymond at 4th overall, but I get the overall point of your larger response.

Reactions: Retire91

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Lucas Raymond at 4th overall, but I get the overall point of your larger response.

LOL thanks for the clarification we got hosed in the lottery so many times I forgot Raymond was 4th. Its kind of crazy to fathom but we have only drafted in the top 5 twice in the last 20 years.

Reactions: jkutswings

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Colorado
Vegas
Carolina
Florida
Pittsburgh
Toronto
Washington
Tampa Bay
NYI

Minnesota
Boston
Edmonton
Nashville
Winnipeg
St. Louis
NYR
Dallas
Chicago
NJD
Vancouver

Calgary
Philadelphia
Montreal
Ottawa
Los Angeles
San Jose
Columbus
Anaheim

Buffalo
Arizona
Seattle

I feel like some people are underestimating Seattle quite a bit

they aren't gonna be anything close to Vegas level but they aren't gonna be one of the worst teams in the league either

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
I feel like some people are underestimating Seattle quite a bit

they aren't gonna be anything close to Vegas level but they aren't gonna be one of the worst teams in the league either

I think Vegas will end up surprising. I know the reaction following the expansion draft that Francis screwed it up because he didn't load up on 5M+ imperfect and unprotected stars from other teams (Tarasenko, Voracek, Subban, Virtanen, Duchene, etc.) - I would generally say, there was a pretty good reason most of those guys were left exposed by their clubs in the first place (age, health, character, cost, etc.) - probably the only name that really stood out that Francis skipped that I couldn't justify was Max Domi - but who knows what the story was there.

At the end of the day; Francis put together a pretty good group of players. They have a fairly solid and very deep 6 Defenseman, a Veniza Finalist in his prime with Grubauer, and just a lot of players up front with energy, physicality, solid two-way play. This doesn't feel like a bad team. This feels like a frustrating collection of solid defense and good goaltending with a large collection of 30-40pt guys rolling 4 and hoping to outwork you like the 00's Nashville Teams. This is not a bad team - this is a .500 team at worst.

Reactions: ricky0034

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
im wondering if yzerman changed the goalie coaching when he got here and might that be the reason for berniers improvement ?

Far as I know the goalie coach that was here is still here from before Steve returned.

bedtime20

nap nap
Nov 30, 2018
Metro Detroit
im wondering if yzerman changed the goalie coaching when he got here and might that be the reason for berniers improvement ?
I wouldn’t be surprised if he did do something,
Bernier and Greiss didn’t do good when they first got to Detroit but they eventually got better and were both doing great by the end of last season. Pickard and Fulcher both got better from spending time with the taxi squad in Detroit last season. Hopefully they can also help Bednar in development camp this season. Whatever stevie did with the goalie coaching the past couple of seasons has really been working.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Good thread OP! Nice to shed some light from a broader perspective.

ranked 3rd behind LA & ANA. with only 3 other Eastern teams ranked (Car, NY & Cbj) in the top 12. The East can be ours, soon, very soon, but not too soon.

13-19 are all EC teams though, so the pack is within striking distance. 20-25 all WC teams.

MoZilla is coming for them. per Dobber...

The Journey: 2021 NHL Prospect Pool Rankings

" Detroit Red Wings

The Red Wings come in third in the power rankings due to the immense potential of their top-two prospects: defenseman Moritz Seider, who earned 28 points in 41 games and was named the SHL junior-age player of the year, and winger Lucas Raymond who, in the same league, earned 18 points in 34 games and looked very impressive against men, playing on William Eklund's line and making high-end plays with him on a regular basis.

The Wings also added defenseman Simon Edvinsson (6th overall) and goaltender Sebastian Cossa (15th) in the first round of the 2021 NHL Draft, two pieces that could very well become top-end NHL talents one day. The team seems on its way to recreating the 1990's/2000's dynasty that saw them win four cups.

Top-three prospects: Moritz Seider, Lucas Raymond, Simon Edvinsson"

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
We are over the hump in this long rebuild. Not to say that it's over, there are still 1 and probably 2 seasons near the bottom of the league, but I think the corner has been turned. The last few seasons have been pretty grim and lifeless. Not much to cheer for on the Wings themselves. We had our first taste of high draft picks in a long time, but those were prospects for the future. The team on the ice was low on talent and depth at every position.

Well the future is now. We have the holdovers from the Holland era of course, in Larkin, Bertuzzi, and Hronek. And now Zadina seems on the cusp of finding his groove and becoming a producer. Not to mention Rasmussen and Veleno cutting their teeth and trying to establish themselves as everyday NHLers. But Yzerman is really starting to show his mark on the team, and I could not be more excited seeing it come together. Seider is coming in and looks poised to start making an impact early. We may even see Raymond crack the roster this season. He's added some quality supporting players in Vrana, Fabbri, and now Suter and Nedeljkovic. Soon we'll see Berggren (a Holland pick) and Johansson get their shots. And after that we'll see Edvinsson and Cossa worked in, followed by the high draft picks in 2022 and (possibly) 2023. We are going to be seeing a flood of new faces over the next few seasons, and many of them will be players of very high pedigree who have a good chance of becoming difference makers. Seems like the worst is behind us and we are going to be treated to better and better Red Wings hockey in the seasons to come. It's about time Motown had a contender again. :yo:

I think, in a lots of ways, you could be right.

The players we have in tow might be enough to turn the corner.

But we still haven't turned.
Our roster going into next year is only mildly better, if better at all.

Reactions: RedWingzz

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yzerman has intentionally tanked for three straight years.

How? Both our goalies overachieved last year. If we were tanking we would have traded them like Buffalo did with any goalie that won too much the year they were jockeying for McDavid.

Maybe 2 years ago you could say we did.

Reactions: RabidBadger
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I think this thread is a year too early. With the moves we made in free agency, I don't see a team that has turned the corner. It's so blatantly obvious that next season is another throw away season.

Reactions: MBH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad