I think the Wings have turned the corner

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
We are over the hump in this long rebuild. Not to say that it's over, there are still 1 and probably 2 seasons near the bottom of the league, but I think the corner has been turned. The last few seasons have been pretty grim and lifeless. Not much to cheer for on the Wings themselves. We had our first taste of high draft picks in a long time, but those were prospects for the future. The team on the ice was low on talent and depth at every position.

Well the future is now. We have the holdovers from the Holland era of course, in Larkin, Bertuzzi, and Hronek. And now Zadina seems on the cusp of finding his groove and becoming a producer. Not to mention Rasmussen and Veleno cutting their teeth and trying to establish themselves as everyday NHLers. But Yzerman is really starting to show his mark on the team, and I could not be more excited seeing it come together. Seider is coming in and looks poised to start making an impact early. We may even see Raymond crack the roster this season. He's added some quality supporting players in Vrana, Fabbri, and now Suter and Nedeljkovic. Soon we'll see Berggren (a Holland pick) and Johansson get their shots. And after that we'll see Edvinsson and Cossa worked in, followed by the high draft picks in 2022 and (possibly) 2023. We are going to be seeing a flood of new faces over the next few seasons, and many of them will be players of very high pedigree who have a good chance of becoming difference makers. Seems like the worst is behind us and we are going to be treated to better and better Red Wings hockey in the seasons to come. It's about time Motown had a contender again. :yo:

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
I said it in the other thread, but it really is exceedingly rare to find someone as good at their job as Steve Yzerman is at being a NHL GM.

Even though we are still bad, the trajectory of this team and franchise is very clearly up. Yzerman has done this both rapidly all while not exposing the Wings to much risk

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Anyone else feel like we’re going to be built a lot like Nashville during their really good years?
Sorta, though their bottom 6 was virtually all grinder types. Took 'em forever to get a real 1C...then 2C at the same time. We have enough talent incoming to make a skilled top9+ if all breaks right (barring the future 1C/UFA/Draft pick) On D & G, sure.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Anyone else feel like we’re going to be built a lot like Nashville during their really good years?

I don't. Stevie Y is really good at finding scoring forwards and we already have some scoring wingers on the rise. Preds drool over monotonous players like Johansen and Jarnkrok. So uninspiring.

Yzerman found a place holder in Suter, but he's far from finished.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
We add Wright, Lambert, or Savoie with our top pick next year and I’m right there with ya.
Yeah I think being able to add a potentially elite centre would really make Yzerman start to pivot towards getting results rather than just putting pieces in place like he has been since he started. That's the biggest hole in the organizational depth chart. I'm not sure an elite 1c is even necessary though. I think at minimum we would need a Larkin-equivalent centre to put out a 1a/1b duo, with strong support from the skilled wingers. But obviously getting a guy who stirs the drink himself would be ideal. But other than that, depth in the org looks strong on the wings, in goal, and now on D as well.

I think if this team can add a Larkin-equivalent centre or better, and another #2-3 dman then all the pieces to contend will be in place. This is what that would look like:

Vrana-#1C-Raymond
Bertuzzi-Larkin-Zadina
Berggren-Suter-Fabbri
Veleno-Rasmussen-Smith

#2dman-Seider
Edvinsson-Hronek
Johansson-Lindstrom
Buium

Nedeljkovic
Cossa

That's some really strong depth at every position, and I didn't even bother listing all of them. And all that depth opens up another avenue to improving the team, which is the ability to put together a strong trade package. Something the Wings haven't been able to do in a long time because the only valuable pieces they had were the ones they wouldn't trade, like Larkin for example. I think that #2 or 3 dman is something that could be acquired via trade, just like Yzerman did in the past when he got McDonagh in Tampa Bay.

So ideally we get a strong blue chip centre prospect at the 2022 draft, but other than that Yzerman can also leverage the depth he's acquired for trades or the cap space he's opened up for free agents. I think there's a very strong chance we actually see a competitive team iced as early as the 2022/23 season.

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013

Defensively and in net I think we’re likely to follow the NSH/CAR mold. I think this could shape up to being a team that is seen as a defense first team in a few years. My biggest hope is that we don’t become a trap team, but I’m not sure that’s a realistic outcome given how Tampa turned out under Yzerman.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
I don't think we've turned the corner just yet. To continue the analogy, I think we can see the corner because I don't think many of us realized just how bad things had gotten and what Yzerman inherited in the Spring of 2019. There was just a massive amount of work to be done throughout the organization, from the staff all the way through the farm system and what he's accomplished as been pretty insane.

Reactions: Al48 and Gibby

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Yeah I think being able to add a potentially elite centre would really make Yzerman start to pivot towards getting results rather than just putting pieces in place like he has been since he started. That's the biggest hole in the organizational depth chart. I'm not sure an elite 1c is even necessary though. I think at minimum we would need a Larkin-equivalent centre to put out a 1a/1b duo, with strong support from the skilled wingers. But obviously getting a guy who stirs the drink himself would be ideal. But other than that, depth in the org looks strong on the wings, in goal, and now on D as well.

I think if this team can add a Larkin-equivalent centre or better, and another #2-3 dman then all the pieces to contend will be in place. This is what that would look like:

Vrana-#1C-Raymond
Bertuzzi-Larkin-Zadina
Berggren-Suter-Fabbri
Veleno-Rasmussen-Smith

#2dman-Seider
Edvinsson-Hronek
Johansson-Lindstrom
Buium

Nedeljkovic
Cossa

That's some really strong depth at every position, and I didn't even bother listing all of them. And all that depth opens up another avenue to improving the team, which is the ability to put together a strong trade package. Something the Wings haven't been able to do in a long time because the only valuable pieces they had were the ones they wouldn't trade, like Larkin for example. I think that #2 or 3 dman is something that could be acquired via trade, just like Yzerman did in the past when he got McDonagh in Tampa Bay.

So ideally we get a strong blue chip centre prospect at the 2022 draft, but other than that Yzerman can also leverage the depth he's acquired for trades or the cap space he's opened up for free agents. I think there's a very strong chance we actually see a competitive team iced as early as the 2022/23 season.

Veleno, man.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Yeah, I also had to remark after they signed Nedeljkovic that I felt like they had entered a new phase of the rebuild. Of course, that was before Cossa and Edvinsson, before Pius Suter. They're headed up on a steep trajectory now. They might be in the lottery one more year, but as soon as some of these prospects come through, Steve will add a piece here and there and we'll be right back in it.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
We add Wright, Lambert, or Savoie with our top pick next year and I’m right there with ya.
I don't understand...move UP in the lottery?

Does not compute. Does not compute.
cf7ed4f7-2a7d-47c8-a30a-13b8e45b1a80

WF19

Nov 18, 2009

Vrana-#1C-Raymond
Bertuzzi-Larkin-Zadina
Berggren-Suter-Fabbri
Veleno-Rasmussen-Smith

#2dman-Seider
Edvinsson-Hronek
Johansson-Lindstrom
Buium

Nedeljkovic
Cossa

I fully believe they will be considered dark horses by 22-23. He could literally be done for this year other than signing rfa's with like 15 or mil more left over. That's a lot of dough to go big game hunting next year after maybe 1 more year of a decently high pick (actually think they will surprise this year and not be a lottery team.)

Its definately been fun an exciting to be a Wings fan again

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I said it in the other thread, but it really is exceedingly rare to find someone as good at their job as Steve Yzerman is at being a NHL GM.

Even though we are still bad, the trajectory of this team and franchise is very clearly up. Yzerman has done this both rapidly all while not exposing the Wings to much risk
Because he is "that guy" your avatar is referring to. :laugh:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Stage 1: Denial (No rebuild needed, re-tool is fine)

2010-2013

Stage 2: Anger (Okay, rebuild needed but we're not gonna make any significant moves for it)

2013-2015

Stage 3: Bargaining (Maybe we can quick fix this without really bottoming out)

2015-2018

Stage 4: Depression (No other way but to bottom out)

2018-2021

Stage 5: Acceptance (Now that we're doing it the right way it's actually starting to look promising)

2021-???

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
DRW looking good, bit annoyed about draft. could have had stankoven and raty in the 2nd round. Obv. Hoping drw choices turn out better.

Edit: buium looking pretty famn good tho!

Last edited:

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Slightly worried wings too good need to get a lotto pick over next 2 seasons
Or swing a trade. Or have either a prospect or free agent reclamation project hit it out of the park.

I'd be over the moon with a top3 pick in 2022. But I've seen more than enough from Yzerman to feel confident that he can still find a way to finish building a contender without one.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I don’t think we’ve turned the corner yet or anything, but organizationally, I believe we are for sure going in the right direction.

We have outstanding organizational depth in net and our blue line. We need to really spend the next two drafts focusing on our forward depth though.

mikerooooose

Nov 7, 2009
Michigan
Right direction for sure.

I think we will have turned the corner when some of these newer picks (last two years) are regulars in the line up. If that happens. Haha.

I would give it 2 more years before things are very exciting.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Slightly worried wings too good need to get a lotto pick over next 2 seasons

Being too good is not a reason to be worried.

Player values will go up, and Yzerman can do magic trades again.

TANK is for weak thinkers.

Other teams will create the problems for themselves, and one day, Yzerman comes and steals that center without any high pick. There is already the Eichel-case going, Tyler Seguin was traded some years ago etc. These cases will happen. You just have to be ready and be the "savior".

We don't have to cry after tanking and being bad.

This team is trending up anyways, season after season. Seider alone will do so big things at next season, Leddy too. The transition defence comes back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad