Friedman: "I think the Oilers will buy someone out"

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
He gets a signing bonus July 1 and after that makes a million ish in real salary. The buyout is not to get cap relief for the team acquiring him it’s get them to the floor and by buying him out to allow him to play where he wants too. Don’t know how many times I have to explain this.....

1 million in real salary
6.25 as a cap hit

Teams like
Sens
Canes
Etc will want a large cap hit to get to floor.
I'm aware of what you're trying to say. You're just saying it wrong. A buyout has absolutely nothing to do with what you've explained here.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
I'm aware of what you're trying to say. You're just saying it wrong. A buyout has absolutely nothing to do with what you've explained here.

Sure it is because Marleau if he agrees to waive his NMC will be bought out of his current contract so he can play where he wants. The fact you have to argue with me for 5+ posts when you know exactly why I have suggested the course of action is pathetic.

Let’s agree that Oilers fans should not come up with any bright ideas regarding trading with the TML. Unless you want to trade us McJesus, Drai or Nurse we have no use for anybody on your roster.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Nah, his contract is buyout-proof.

oQuzwRy.png

It would save a little cap in years 1 and 3, verrrrry little cap in years 2 and 4, and then they'd have dead cap for the next 4 years. I don't see how the Oilers have any real choice other than to just ride that contract out.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Doesn't save a lot but getting Lucic off the team is a sign you're willing to turn the page and start new. Dead cap of 625k is nothing.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Now we can afford a 5.3mil winger???

Contract slot + 300k this year is more valuable to me than 666k in cap space next year IMO. If you don’t agree, so be it, but I’ll ask the same question, what are you doing with that 666k in cap space in 2020?

Again, we likely have to keep Sekera and Russell this year. Maybe not, but they have 2 years remaining each, have 15 team NTC’s, and Jones is probably the only internal replacement whose NHL ready (and bottom pair at that).

Fast forward a year and those guys become more tradeable AND we have more homegrown players NHL ready to replace them. I’m not sure how anyone could disagree that cap space is more important today than tomorrow. But fair enough if that’s your stance.

I think you are right . Our sights should be set on 2 years from now . Until then upgrade where you can . Move a contract when you can with out retaining if possible . A bunch of small little trades .

Example . Russell at 4 million is over paid by a million . Trade him for a player/forward that is overpaid that is still usefully and makes a little less and his contract isn't any longer

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Doesn't save a lot but getting Lucic off the team is a sign you're willing to turn the page and start new. Dead cap of 625k is nothing.

I agree if it was only 635k but where the cap hit bounces up and down it makes it tough to use the cap . You really have to consider it 5.625 for the first 4 years then 625K for 4 years after it

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Gagner's gains us over $2m in cap space. That's significant. But it depends on what you're replacing him with and whether or not you intend on utilizing him next season. If the Tippett rumor is true, how does Gagner get utilized if at all? If Gagner gets the Vancouver treatment next season, I could see a buyout making sense.

Gagner that bad? I’ll admit now that Holland is their GM I’m more attentive :laugh:

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Gagner that bad? I’ll admit now that Holland is their GM I’m more attentive :laugh:
It's not that he's bad, it's a question of how he gets used versus how the $2m in cap savings would this season.

He's a poor 5v5 forward who helps out on the powerplay. Probably a fourth line winger.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Hard to know what Holland will do. People keep talking about well they just signed Koskinen, so why do they want another goalie and things like that. Thing is, Holland never signed Koskinen, and may not even want to keep him. Same thing goes for buyouts, Holland is usually extremely loyal and way way patient when it comes to these things, however he has no connection to the current Oiler players as he never signed them. The chances of a buyout of at least 1 player to me seems decently likely as they are in a cap issue and Holland doesn't have that loyalty with anyone in EDM yet.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Could Koskinen be the first player to get bought out the same day his deal starts?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad