Friedman: "I think the Oilers will buy someone out"

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
The only buyout candidate that I could see making sense is Sam Gagner, though it seems fairly clear from listening to Holland interviews that they aren't deep enough into the evaluation stage to really be discussing this sort of thing as a group yet, which says to me this just Friedman's own personal take. The Oilers will be looking to free up cap, but buy-out tends to be the last option not the first option pursued.

Reactions: belair

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The only buyout candidate that I could see making sense is Sam Gagner, though it seems fairly clear from listening to Holland interviews that they aren't deep enough into the evaluation stage to really be discussing this sort of thing as a group yet, which says to me this just Friedman's own personal take. The Oilers will be looking to free up cap, but buy-out tends to be the last option not the first option pursued.

Manning or Gagner IMO.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Manning or Gagner IMO.
Gagner's gains us over $2m in cap space. That's significant. But it depends on what you're replacing him with and whether or not you intend on utilizing him next season. If the Tippett rumor is true, how does Gagner get utilized if at all? If Gagner gets the Vancouver treatment next season, I could see a buyout making sense.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Gagner's gains us over $2m in cap space. That's significant. But it depends on what you're replacing him with and whether or not you intend on utilizing him next season. If the Tippett rumor is true, how does Gagner get utilized if at all? If Gagner gets the Vancouver treatment next season, I could see a buyout making sense.
If Holland does indeed bring in Tippett I think he'd buy out Gagner and sign Tanev this summer.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Now we can afford a 5.3mil winger???

Contract slot + 300k this year is more valuable to me than 666k in cap space next year IMO. If you don’t agree, so be it, but I’ll ask the same question, what are you doing with that 666k in cap space in 2020?

Again, we likely have to keep Sekera and Russell this year. Maybe not, but they have 2 years remaining each, have 15 team NTC’s, and Jones is probably the only internal replacement whose NHL ready (and bottom pair at that).

Fast forward a year and those guys become more tradeable AND we have more homegrown players NHL ready to replace them. I’m not sure how anyone could disagree that cap space is more important today than tomorrow. But fair enough if that’s your stance.
My stance is this. Cap space is important when you have someone to spend it on. And yes they could fit in a $5.3M winger. I have no problem if they buyout Manning because they have a move in mind to improve the club. But right now it seems that we are more likely to see no big name brought in so that $300K is probably not needed. If that changes there are other ways you can manufacture that space.

And you may be right about them needing the contract slot. That is a real possibility. It's also true that there is really no room in Bak for him either so if the Oilers don't buyout Manning he will likely be lent out somewhere. But there are also possible trades. Flip him to Ottawa for Condon 25% retained. Ottawa replaces a buyout candidate for an guy who could fill a slot on their defense and probably saves a few pennies doing so. Or they could just buyout Manning themselves and they still come out ahead. The Oilers bury Condon and save more than $300K with no cap on next year's books.

And for the record I actually agree with you that next year things open up. But we have no idea what the need will be next year. Maybe the Oilers rebound and make a move at the trade deadline this year for a high profile UFA that they want to resign. Who knows. But why spend your cap space before you need it.

Last edited:

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
Manning, and I'd guess he's going to try and trade Sekera, and if all efforts fail, possibly buy out. He's played 60 of the 164 games last 2 seasons, and has a 0.20 PPG with 12 pts in 60 GP. He carries the highest cap hit for the defensemen, only 2 years left (so penalty/cap spread is less severe), and he turns 33 next month.
But I will say under Hithcock, he played much better defensively than under McLellan. Depending on who the coach will be, he might thrive under that system

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Earlier in the year a Sekera buyout looked a lot more likely this summer, but his play down the stretch kind of makes you think there'd be a team who sees him as a guy who could fill a role if there's a 'trash for trash' type deal available.

An example being Toronto, who has significant cap issues and Travis Dermott out until November. If they moved Marleau out, Sekera makes sense as a target as the basis of that deal to fill that need at zero cap impact.

The buyout doesn't really make a lot of sense if the player bought out is a contributing player.

A2A68A54-1443-4B12-A45C-575A047F2455.gif

Ya the TML with all their cap issues are looking to add a 5.5 million third pairing D who is signed longer than just this year. I am saying third pairing because Sekera is not pushing Reilly or Muzzin down.

For the love of god Oilers fans stop thinking out loud because it’s so painful reading your nonsense. We got one more year of Marleau and that is already causing significant issues and we are gonna bail you out and screw ourself for another year????

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Buyers remorse on Brodziak? Although doesn't seem worth it.

Sam Gagner?
WTH would you buy out a one year, 1.1M dollar contract. EDM fans like to complain about Brodziak, but he is far from the problem in EDM. The guy has been a good 4th liner everywhere he goes. Expecting someone like him to give the team middle six performance is ridiculous.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
View attachment 226665

Ya the TML with all their cap issues are looking to add a 5.5 million third pairing D who is signed longer than just this year. I am saying third pairing because Sekera is not pushing Reilly or Muzzin down.

For the love of god Oilers fans stop thinking out loud because it’s so painful reading your nonsense. We got one more year of Marleau and that is already causing significant issues and we are gonna bail you out and screw ourself for another year????
Sekera plays both sides and trust me, nothing about this is 'bailing us out'. The Leafs are the ones in need of a bail out with their current cap situation. A move like that would give them a full year to work out what to do with Sekera, who is likely a productive defenseman next season given it'll be his first healthy season in two years. The move addresses an immediate roster need of theirs and is ridding them of a player they're desperately in need of shedding in the coming months.

On his own Marleau is going to be difficult to move considering he's 40 and owns a NMC. He also can't be bought out.

Last edited:

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Sekera plays both sides and trust me, nothing about this is 'bailing us out'. The Leafs are the ones in need of a bail out with their current cap situation. A move like that would give them a full year to work out what to do with Sekera, who is likely a productive defenseman next season given it'll be his first healthy season in two years. The move addresses an immediate roster need of theirs and is ridding them of a player they're desperately in need of shedding in the coming months.

On his own Marleau is going to be difficult to move considering he's 40 and owns a NMC. He also can't be bought out.

If he is so good keep him.

Second Marleau after his signing bonus is a very easy contract to move if he waives and yes that is a big if. He can be bought out and that is likely why he is traded because he has a 6.25 cap hit with a million of salary!

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Manning, and I'd guess he's going to try and trade Sekera, and if all efforts fail, possibly buy out. He's played 60 of the 164 games last 2 seasons, and has a 0.20 PPG with 12 pts in 60 GP. He carries the highest cap hit for the defensemen, only 2 years left (so penalty/cap spread is less severe), and he turns 33 next month.
But I will say under Hithcock, he played much better defensively than under McLellan. Depending on who the coach will be, he might thrive under that system

Those are all the reasons why it will be difficult to trade Sekera unless they retain significant salary, add a significant sweetener or take back similar cap in return for a similar player.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If he is so good keep him.

Second Marleau after his signing bonus is a very easy contract to move if he waives and yes that is a big if. He can be bought out and that is likely why he is traded because he has a 6.25 cap hit with a million of salary!
He's 40 signed on a 35+ contract, so a buyout gives the team no financial benefit.

I was not aware that his contract only has 4.25m in cash owing on it, which could make him enticing to a cap floor team in the instance he was willing to waive. So, it may not be necessary for them to take additional term.

My initial point was that there are cap for cap deals that make sense in terms of positional need. Buyouts offer no benefit.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005

Different injuries for Sekera which explain the difference in his performance coming back. When he came back last season he had a knee brace on and it impacted his skating. His skating wasn't impacted this season when he came back cause no knee brace.
Guy missed a ton of time, but he's still a damned good defenseman and honestly, the Oilers probably make the playoffs if they had him all season. He is not a dump at all in my mind. He's a great veteran to have around to help mentor some young defenseman while still being able to contribute.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
He's 40 signed on a 35+ contract, so a buyout gives the team no financial benefit.

I was not aware that his contract only has 4.25m in cash owing on it, which could make him enticing to a cap floor team in the instance he was willing to waive. So, it may not be necessary for them to take additional term.

My initial point was that there are cap for cap deals that make sense in terms of positional need. Buyouts offer no benefit.

You really can’t read can you?... follow me here he gets bought out with making around a million. He has an actually cap hit of 6.25 and a team like Zona or the Sens want this because the need to reach the floor without spending real dollars. Understand or is that still to hard a concept?

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
You really can’t read can you?... follow me here he gets bought out with making around a million. He has an actually cap hit of 6.25 and a team like Zona or the Sens want this because the need to reach the floor without spending real dollars. Understand or is that still to hard a concept?
Take your own advice, ya goof. Read what I wrote.

I conceded the fact that Marleau is only owed $4.25m in his final year. He'd be tradeable in the instance he waives.

You simply don't understand that a buyout IS NOT an option. 35+ contracts offer NO FINANCIAL BENEFIT when bought out.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
for the lazy:

Buyout Period

The buyout period begins the later of June 15 or 48 hours after the Stanley Cup Final ends. It concludes on June 30 at 5 pm EST.

hypothetically what happens if the stanley cup is awarded after June 30th due to some sort of crazy scheduling snafu or something?

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Take your own advice, ya goof. Read what I wrote.

I conceded the fact that Marleau is only owed $4.25m in his final year. He'd be tradeable in the instance he waives.

You simply don't understand that a buyout IS NOT an option. 35+ contracts offer NO FINANCIAL BENEFIT when bought out.

He gets a signing bonus July 1 and after that makes a million ish in real salary. The buyout is not to get cap relief for the team acquiring him it’s get them to the floor and by buying him out to allow him to play where he wants too. Don’t know how many times I have to explain this.....

1 million in real salary
6.25 as a cap hit

Teams like
Sens
Canes
Etc will want a large cap hit to get to floor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad