Friedman: "I think the Oilers will buy someone out"

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
It makes no sense unless you already have that guy in place. Buyouts to generate cap space that gets unspent are not a good idea.

I could see them buying out Manning if they can't find a place for him. I'd rather see them trade him with retention if possible.

Katz is cheap so I could see Manning... but from a hockey standpoint it really doesn’t make a lot of sense.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Earlier in the year a Sekera buyout looked a lot more likely this summer, but his play down the stretch kind of makes you think there'd be a team who sees him as a guy who could fill a role if there's a 'trash for trash' type deal available.

An example being Toronto, who has significant cap issues and Travis Dermott out until November. If they moved Marleau out, Sekera makes sense as a target as the basis of that deal to fill that need at zero cap impact.

The buyout doesn't really make a lot of sense if the player bought out is a contributing player.

Sekera is still and effective player who can play either side. His contract is more than his value right now but if you need the space you trade him with 50% retained. It costs you less real money than a buyout and while the cap hit for this year and next would be a bit more you have no obligations in years 3 and 4.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Sekera is still and effective player who can play either side. His contract is more than his value right now but if you need the space you trade him with 50% retained. It costs you less real money than a buyout and while the cap hit for this year and next would be a bit more you have no obligations in years 3 and 4.
Oh, no question. I'm saying specifically if the goal was to open money to address other organizational needs, a deal like that both gives you a year of a semi-capable veteran and clears the second year of term in his deal.

Of course retention is another option, depending on what the immediate needs are.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
If its Lucic its cause a discussion likely took place and his agents notified team management that the nmc is being held onto for the expansion draft.

Edmonton cant afford a wasted protection spot on Lucic.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
If its Lucic its cause a discussion likely took place and his agents notified team management that the nmc is being held onto for the expansion draft.

It's a smart move if Lucic can force a buyout on his near buyout proof contract. He could be thinking take the money and retire at this point.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

I'm not sure why you continue going on about this. There's literally no risk of Milan Lucic not waiving his NMC regardless of where he goes unless he somehow miraculously returns to form.

He and his agent are intelligent enough to know that Seattle has no interest in him at that cap hit. And secondly, there's no logic behind the theory that two teams would conspire to have him waive his NMC for the sole purpose of sending him to the AHL to save the team a measly $1.025m.

There's no reason for him to use it.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Katz may be a lot of things but the team has never had an issue spending money.

I wouldn’t necessarily say that. A bunch of the office staff got laid off last year when the playoffs got missed.

It’s his money and he can spend it how he wants, but when you’re paying Paul Coffey 500k to work a couple days a month but buy out manning to save 300k - while hurting next year Cap... it’s fishy. Manning is a foolish buyout.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I know but many Oiler faithful believe one of two things, that he will waive it or be traded. Two things I believe are highly unlikely

I suspect that both are actually quite likely. There is very little downside in him waiving for Seattle if he wants to be closer to home, especially if the alternative is a buyout that could end his career. And his deal will be tradable with some creativity at least by the expansion draft. He would have two years left and only $9M in real money on the deal but $12M in on the cap. There are always contracts and teams that you can target.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I'm not sure why you continue going on about this. There's literally no risk of Milan Lucic not waiving his NMC regardless of where he goes unless he somehow miraculously returns to form.

He and his agent are intelligent enough to know that Seattle has no interest in him at that cap hit. And secondly, there's no logic behind the theory that two teams would conspire to have him waive his NMC for the sole purpose of sending him to the AHL to save the team a measly $1.025m.

There's no reason for him to use it.

A team might be willing to bury Lucic contract in return for an asset. Might, the fact it's a possibility even if slightly gives reason enough to question it.

We can agree to disagree and see how it unfolds. As an Oiler fan I'd hope to be proven wrong. I'd glad accept being wrongm

Reactions: belair

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I wouldn’t necessarily say that. A bunch of the office staff got laid off last year when the playoffs got missed.

It’s his money and he can spend it how he wants, but when you’re paying Paul Coffey 500k to work a couple days a month but buy out manning to save 300k - while hurting next year Cap... it’s fishy. Manning is a foolish buyout.

I really doubt that this was Katz's decision. That's not the type of thing he is going to be involved in.

I actually agree that Manning is a foolish buyout unless you absolutely need the space.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Sekera and Russel are acc useful so it won't be them.

Gagner produced at a decent 3rd line clip with us, not him.

It'll be either Manning, or Lucic if we can't find a swap that makes sense.

Sekera can get a lesser contract and a pick back if the Oilers really wanted to trade Sekera, so agreed there.

Russell won't have value until he's on his last season of his contract. If that's this one, then agreed that he has value.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I know people are saying there’s little to no advantage to buying out Manning because it only saves us 300k vs burying him this year (and costs us 666k next year), but last time I checked, we need every available bit of cap space right now.

Next year, Sekera and Russell will only have one year left (easier to move), our young D prospects will be ready to make the jump (Jones, Bouchard, possibly a surprise candidate). Point being, I think it’s much easier to absorb the 666k penalty next year vs 300k this year.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011

Lucic refusing to waive for the expansion draft isn't a reason to buy him out, not until it is clear that the Oilers can't afford a wasted protection spot. As it is now, they absolutely can afford a wasted protection spot.

That's a decision that can be made down the road, and there is little incentive to push the issue this summer.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I don't see a good buyout candidate for Edmonton honestly. Like I understand buying out Manning due to him not being able to crack the roster but the savings are minute that it's only to do him a favor. Well, if that's the point then maybe trying to go through the mutual termination route is the way to go there.

There legitimately aren’t any. The players are either tradable (Sekera/Russell), buyout proof (Lucic), helping the team (Gagner), or better to bury than buy out (Manning and Brodziak).

When it comes to Manning, you tell his agent to find an AHL team who wants to take him on loan, accept a demotion to the ECHL, or sit at home.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I know people are saying there’s little to no advantage to buying out Manning because it only saves us 300k vs burying him this year (and costs us 666k next year), but last time I checked, we need every available bit of cap space right now.

Next year, Sekera and Russell will only have one year left (easier to move), our young D prospects will be ready to make the jump (Jones, Bouchard, possibly a surprise candidate). Point being, I think it’s much easier to absorb the 666k penalty next year vs 300k this year.
What are you spending that cap space on? They could probably add a $5M winger without moving anyone. If you need the space there are always things you can do to create a few hundred $k.

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
What are you spending that cap space on? They could probably add a $5M winger without moving anyone. If you need the space there are always things you can do to create a few hundred $k.

Now we can afford a 5.3mil winger???

Contract slot + 300k this year is more valuable to me than 666k in cap space next year IMO. If you don’t agree, so be it, but I’ll ask the same question, what are you doing with that 666k in cap space in 2020?

Again, we likely have to keep Sekera and Russell this year. Maybe not, but they have 2 years remaining each, have 15 team NTC’s, and Jones is probably the only internal replacement whose NHL ready (and bottom pair at that).

Fast forward a year and those guys become more tradeable AND we have more homegrown players NHL ready to replace them. I’m not sure how anyone could disagree that cap space is more important today than tomorrow. But fair enough if that’s your stance.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3