Friedman: "I think the Oilers will buy someone out"

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Refresh me on the buyout rules again? When is a team allowed to buy someone out?

June 15 or 48 hours after cup finals ends, whichever comes latest. Another buyout period in August if you have any arbitration filings.

IMO, its tough to guess what Holland might do freshly coming into Edmonton.

@ Oilers fans: Do the Oilers have any potential arbitration guys? I would guess if Holland does buy anybody out, it would be during that buyout period. June period might be too early for him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oddbob

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
CapFriendly to the rescue: Buyout FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Teams are permitted to buyout a players contract to obtain a reduced salary cap hit over a period of twice the remaining length of the contract. The buyout amount is a function of the players age at the time of the buyout, and are as follows:
  • 1/3 of the remaining contract value, if the player is younger than 26 at the time of the buyout
  • 2/3 of the remaining contract value, if the player is 26 or older at the time of the buyout
As explained above, the buyout is spread out over a period of twice the remaining length of the contract. The team still takes a caphit, and the caphit by year is calculated as follows:
  1. Multiply the remaining salary (excluding signing bonuses) by the buyout amount (as determined by age) to obtain the total buyout cost
  2. Spread the total buyout cost evenly over twice the remaining contract years
  3. Determine the savings by subtracting the annual buyout cost from Step 2. by the players salary (excluding signing bonuses)
  4. Determine the remaining caphit by subtracting the savings from Step 3. by the players Annual Average Salary (AAV) (including signing bonuses)
The above calculation is performed for each year of the buyout, meaning the buyout caphit is not necessarily the same for each year. It is also possible that the buyout caphit can be negative, meaning the team receives a credit.
Buyout Period

The buyout period begins the later of June 15 or 48 hours after the Stanley Cup Final ends. It concludes on June 30 at 5 pm EST.

Additionally there's another window if you have player(s?) going to arbitration.

Buyouts Outside of the Regular Period

Clubs whom have 1 or more arbitration filings may be permitted to perform a buyout outside of the regular window. This gives teams another opportunity to become cap compliant following an arbitration case.

As explained in Section 13(c)ii of the Standard Player Contract (SPC) [Exhibit 1 of the CBA], clubs are permitted to perform a buyout outside the regular period during the 48 hour period beginning on the third day after the final of a) settlement of the Club's final arbitration case. b) receipt of the Club's last arbitration award. A buyout can only be performed on a player who was on the clubs reserve list at 3:00pm on the most recent trade deadline, and for the 2018 off-season, must have a cap hit of at least $3,318,024.

There is an exception to this buyout period (CBA Reference: Section 11.18; 12.3) if the arbitation was Club-elected (as opposed to player-elected) and the player did not receive a qualifying offer. In this case, a minimum of two arbitration cases are necessary to trigger the buy-out period outside the regular window.

KingsCourt

Aug 15, 2005
only guy i could see is russell..and they need d, the seond year is a kick in the shorts thou, sekera maybe but i doubt
Lucic contract is buyout proof

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Buyers remorse on Brodziak? Although doesn't seem worth it.

Sam Gagner?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
only guy i could see is russell..and they need d, the seond year is a kick in the shorts thou, sekera maybe but i doubt
Lucic contract is buyout proof

It won't be Sekera or Russell, at least not before they see if they can trade them. Both are good defensemen who could be traded, even if they need to add a bit. I'm guessing its an actual worthless player.

Brandon Manning, come on down!

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Won't buying out Lucic this summer be a detriment? I get trying to rid of the higher cap hit, but paying him a couple million for a longer period of time doesn't sound like a better solution just yet.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
Buyers remorse on Brodziak? Although doesn't seem worth it.

Sam Gagner?

Brodziak can be sent down and his caphit will only be ~$75k.

Maybe Gagner. Don't think many Oiler fans would like to see that though.
3e7b6a5b-8599-4a95-9cfb-74470f0b683b.png

Not much point in Manning, you're not really saving much as opposed to burying him.
a78bc8f1-dc05-4504-b733-ee86df70fc12.png

Russell and Sekera could be moved at 50% retention worst case scenario, cheaper than buyouts.
cfd21d73-bfba-4d92-bac5-30ce06afa9cf.png

28caad6e-392c-4030-ac99-b8d73d719a2e.png

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Won't buying out Lucic this summer be a detriment? I get trying to rid of the higher cap hit, but paying him a couple million for a longer period of time doesn't sound like a better solution just yet.

I think its structured in a way that buying him out doesn't make sense anyway. I mean, he's still a useful player. At 2 or 3 million he'd be fine. But he's at 6. Paying him 3 to not play would be an awful waste. I don't think they are talking about Lucic anyway. Holland said he hasn't spoken to Looch or his agent. You'd think he'd talk over trade options with them first if they were thinking of dumping him. Even a trade at 50% would be better than a buyout, and I expect that he might be movable at 3, in the right scenario.

Reactions: 780il

Apathetic

Oct 29, 2010
Downtown
The only buyout that would make sense is Manning. While it wouldn't be best for the team, GM's tend to give guys a chance to move on. Other than that, I am not sure I agree with Friedman. None of the buyout options really make sense.

Gagner
Could buyout Gagner, but it will only save us 2 million and I don't think we are getting a better replacement for less than that. Probably best to let him play out his final year.

Sekera
Sekera buyout would save 3 million for the next two years but would cost 1.5 in cap the next two years afterwards. Once again, Sekera seemed to be playing decently down the stretch, I don't see us replacing him with someone better for less than 3 million unless we just want to open up internal options. While a couple of our AHL d look ready to take the next step it is a pretty big risk to assume they can replace his minutes.

Matt Benning
We could buyout Matt Benning but, with only a year left, I have a hard time believing we couldn't find a taker if Holland felt he was expendable.

Brandon Manning
We could buyout Brandon Manning, has been a healthy scratch in the AHL, but it would only save us 1.33 this upcoming year and cost us 0.66 the next year. Him being buried only costs us 1.175 so we would really only be saving like .300 against the cap this year while costing us 0.66 against the cap next year. Probably better to grit our teeth and bury him. Though I could see Holland doing him a favour and just buying him out.

Russel
We could buy out Russel but I think we would save more by retaining on him and trading him. All things being equal I would rather just keep him. He has warts to his game and probably overpaid by about $1 million but he is a solid #5 who can step up into a top 4 role in a pinch. I don't see buying him out or trading him making us a better hockey team.

Brodziak
We could buy out Kyle Brodziak but we don't really have any internal replacements, any replacements on the market are going to cost more and with only a year left it probably makes more sense to continue to run him at 4c for one last year. Not to mention that burying him would be more effective than just buying him out.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Brodziak can be sent down and his caphit will only be ~$75k.

Maybe Gagner. Don't think many Oiler fans would like to see that though.
3e7b6a5b-8599-4a95-9cfb-74470f0b683b.png

Not much point in Manning, you're not really saving much as opposed to burying him.
a78bc8f1-dc05-4504-b733-ee86df70fc12.png

Russell and Sekera could be moved at 50% retention worst case scenario, cheaper than buyouts.
cfd21d73-bfba-4d92-bac5-30ce06afa9cf.png

28caad6e-392c-4030-ac99-b8d73d719a2e.png

I'm on the same page, the buyout route isn't pretending an obvious candidate.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
If the Oilers buy someone I think it's through a trade. IE: trade lucic retaining 30-40% of his contract, and buying out a contract that comes back in that trade.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I don't see a good buyout candidate for Edmonton honestly. Like I understand buying out Manning due to him not being able to crack the roster but the savings are minute that it's only to do him a favor. Well, if that's the point then maybe trying to go through the mutual termination route is the way to go there.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Gagner was doing pretty well there as the season ended. Why not just bear with his contract for the last year?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Earlier in the year a Sekera buyout looked a lot more likely this summer, but his play down the stretch kind of makes you think there'd be a team who sees him as a guy who could fill a role if there's a 'trash for trash' type deal available.

An example being Toronto, who has significant cap issues and Travis Dermott out until November. If they moved Marleau out, Sekera makes sense as a target as the basis of that deal to fill that need at zero cap impact.

The buyout doesn't really make a lot of sense if the player bought out is a contributing player.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
The only reason you’d buy Gagner out is if Holland thinks he can significantly improve the wings.

... maybe Holland really doesn’t like the Koskinen deal and thinks he can land Varlamov? *shrug*

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
The only reason you’d buy Gagner out is if Holland thinks he can significantly improve the wings.

... maybe Holland really doesn’t like the Koskinen deal and thinks he can land Varlamov? *shrug*

It makes no sense unless you already have that guy in place. Buyouts to generate cap space that gets unspent are not a good idea.

I could see them buying out Manning if they can't find a place for him. I'd rather see them trade him with retention if possible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad